Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for merchant seamen

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

S

S Report 14 Nov 2015 04:50

Is there a place to search for the records of Merchant Mariners. My ancestor says mariner on his marriage Cert . I can find no one of his name and date of birth amongst Royal Navy records sooo, is there an equivalent set of records for merchant seamen?

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 14 Nov 2015 07:38

There are some on Ancestry and on FMP...give us a name, date and place and we can look

Jude

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 14 Nov 2015 07:44

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1355998

S Report 7 Nov 2015 12:52

Hi AustinQ my grandfather was called James Sinclair

(think above query might relate?)

Chris :)

S

S Report 14 Nov 2015 08:53

Nah it's a different Gt grandfather I have done the births deaths and marriages with him but have had trouble finding him on the 1861 and 1871 census. And I wondered if he was at sea and then I wondered if I could find any records of his work at sea, but I don't have much to go on. I have trawled the national archives for him but think I mustn't be doing it correctly!
My great grandfather was John Jarrett 1841 was his birth in Holkham despite the 41 census saying that he was 5! He was actually 5 months. His marriage Cert says mariner and I know that apart from Norfolk ( Holkham) he lived in Hartlepool when he wasn't at sea. My problem is finding any mariner records?

S

S Report 14 Nov 2015 08:56

Also would you know if people travelled to Belfast in The 1880s how they would get their. I assume no passport was needed as it was part of United Kingdom but would they leave from Hartlepool or travel across land to Liverpool or Glasgow?

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 14 Nov 2015 11:37

There's this on FMP (Image doesn't tell you much)

First name(s) JOHN
Last name Jarrett
Age -
Birth year -
Birth day -
Birth month -
Birth place Holkham
Birth county -
Place HOLKHAM
Discharge number -
Identity certificate number -
Card type -
Date range 1845-1854
Series BT114
Piece number 11
Record set Merchant Navy Seamen
Category Education & work
Subcategory Merchant navy & maritime
Collections from Great Britain

Jude

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Nov 2015 11:43

Related thread about John Jarrett & family:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1356005

S

S Report 14 Nov 2015 13:12

Hi Jude, thanks for the FMP image. It's true that I have a fair bit of family info on John now, but his work remains elusive. I will try to make something of the image you sent. See if there are any records to go with it