Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Herefordshire Marriage Certificate 1812

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TracyJames

TracyJames Report 3 Feb 2016 02:57

Hi Everyone

I'm wondering if anyone can help with how I order a marriage certificate for my 4x great grandfather George PUGH who married Ann PRICE in 1812 at Blakemere, Herefordshire. I found the transcript on Family Search and Find My Past but after reading all the info on the GRO website I'm still no wiser as to how I actually order it or if it's possible to order it. Or do I need to contact somewhere else that holds the parish records.

Find My Past Link - http://search.findmypast.com.au/record?id=r_859698970

Family Search Link - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NL36-ZZZ?from=lynx1

Really appreciate any help you can give me.

Kind Regards
Tracy
New Zealand

Gee

Gee Report 3 Feb 2016 03:19

Hi Tracy

There are no marriage certificate's available from the GRO for that period. BMDs were registered from late 1837 onwards

The only info is parish records:

Name:George Pugh

Marriage Date:16 Nov 1812

Marriage Place: Blakemere, Hereford,England
Spouse:Anne Price
FHL Film Number:992636

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Feb 2016 03:43

Registration for bmds began on July 1 1837

Information marriages and burials were sent by the ministers to the Local Registry Office and then by them down to the GRO

Mothers had 6 weeks in which to register the birth of a baby, although that really only became effective in ca 1875 ......... before that the Registrar was actually responsible to find out about babies and to visit the house.

The information that you found is all that you will find, even if you can find the actual Parish Register. Fathers of the bride and groom are rarely mention until ca 1832-ish. Witnesses may be named.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Feb 2016 03:47

For future reference, this is another site that you can use to find bmd information from parish Registers ........... it is very much a work in progress so you may find nothing or everything

http://freereg2.freereg.org.uk/

It is a free site

I did check, and your George Pugh and Ann Price are not on there.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Feb 2016 03:58

I've just been looking on ancestry, and exactly the same record is showing as you already have.

TracyJames

TracyJames Report 3 Feb 2016 04:03

Thanks you all for your replies....

Gins.....you wrote on your reply "FHL Film Number:992636" . Is it possible that this film can be ordered and has a copy of the original parish register record?

And if not where would I go to find the parish register copy please?

Hope I'm making sense :-S

Thanks
Tracy

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 3 Feb 2016 07:39

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/local-history-and-heritage/family-history-research

(would be Herefordshire Archives)

Chris :)

TracyJames

TracyJames Report 3 Feb 2016 08:03

Thanks Heaps Chris :-)

Off to let my fingers do the walking....

Cheers
Tracy

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Feb 2016 19:58

FHL Film Number:992636 .........

......... this type of entry usually indicates that the record has come from the familysearch entry ............... ie, for the Mormon church in Utah.

So, you could see if the local Church of the Latter Day Saints can bring in the microfilm for you.

TracyJames

TracyJames Report 3 Feb 2016 21:00

Thanks SylviainCanada :-)

Great idea, haven't done this before so great to learn something new at same time.

Cheers
Tracy