Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joseph Massey, shoemaker of Warrington ,c 1861

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

margaret

margaret Report 3 Feb 2016 08:31

Looking for more information on this person.

Baptised, Knutsford, Cheshire 1796.
Married ---possibly Grappenhall 1822 to.....

Census 1841 at Church Street, Williamson's Yard, Warrington, Lancs.
with three children, William born 1824- Mary born 1828- Martha born 1833,
another daughter Hannah - at Mere Lodge, Mere, born 1832. with grandparent.

Census 1851 at Hopwood Street Warrington, as a lodger, possibly with son in law, James Taylor a white smith, and daughter Martha, also unknown Jane Massey born 1832.

Census 1861 - not found
No burial found

Cannot be sure of marriage, and no baptisms of children found --though all say born Latchford on census returns.

Any suggestions please?

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 3 Feb 2016 08:43

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1357617

(is that relating above, with 1851 posted?)

Chris :)

Diocese of Chester Bishop's Transcripts of Marriages c1600-1910 Transcription (Find My Past)

First name(s) JOSEPH
Last name MASSEY
Marriage date 25 Nov 1822
Marriage year 1822
Place GRAPPENHALL
Spouse's first name(s) HANNAH
Spouse's last name TAYLOR
(wits. Thomas Taylor, Sarah Taylor)

Dea

Dea Report 3 Feb 2016 08:49

Thanks Chris - I was just about to get 'stuck into' this one !

Think it best to stick to the original thread where there is lots of info found already.

Dea x

margaret

margaret Report 3 Feb 2016 10:24

Hi All,

Thank you.

I am presuming that the marriage at Grappenhall is his, although it is linked on another site to people who lived in Shropshire, and whose children are raised there. So possibly a mistaken link in that case..

If this marriage is his, it is possible, that the James Taylor in 1851, is as well as being married to his daughter is also a relative of Hannah Taylor, the mother. In other words Mary Massey married a cousin of some degree.

It dosnt explain though, why I cannot locate a baptisms for any of the children, who all say born in Latchford on their census returns.
I am not sure how accurate the baptismal records are for this area in the period 1820 - 1840 in Latchford, or what the alternatives are.

Maddie

Maddie Report 3 Feb 2016 11:05

????
Burial: 17 Oct 1855 St Elphin, Warrington, Lancashire, England
Joseph Massey -
Abode: Fennel St.
Buried by: Wm. Hamilton
Register: Burials 1854 - 1948, Page 107, Entry 849
Source: Original Parish Register

margaret

margaret Report 3 Feb 2016 12:00

I considered this entry, but the age is slightly off. The census 1851 at Hopwood street,
where he is shown as 35 is also an incorrect transcription, as he is actually 55.

Its the children i am now more concerned in finding, as they all say they were born at Latchford.

William Massey in 1824
Mary 1828
Hannah 1832
Martha 1833

and a Jane Massey born in 1832

I suppose as it is before registration (1837) they may not have been baptised, but I thought it was in every ones interest to do so, so that if the need arose they could claim parish relief? They had to have a proven named baptism in a parish to do so ?.

I wondered if there were non conformist registers that might help?

Maddie

Maddie Report 3 Feb 2016 13:43

mary got married in Manchester

Name: Mary Massey
Birth Year: abt 1827
Marriage Date: 30 Oct 1848
Parish: Manchester, St Mary, St Denys and St George
Father's name: Joseph Massey ---- shoemaker
Spouse's Name: James Taylor
Spouse's Father's Name: Thomas Taylor
Archive Roll: 716

margaret

margaret Report 3 Feb 2016 14:03

I wonder why?
They both lived in Warrington, and I suppose you had to pay a fee wherever, and possibly two fees if you married out of parish.

If they were cousins perhaps the family objected? Although it might be that she was under age - 20? (The census says she was born in 1828) and therefore needed parental approval.
And since I cant find her baptismal a strong possibility.

thank you