Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

shirley towers c1935

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

roy david

roy david Report 28 Mar 2016 19:18

hy all
I am now trying to find out what happened to my mother the above,I think she was born 1935 ish in or around Mansfield thanks to the info I have learned from this site, my dad was Roy Douglas Stewart and they married around 1957\8, but I am struggling to find out her fate.Iwas told she died when I was a baby, maybe 1961\2 ish, but I would not be surprised at any outcome.thanks in advance of your help.
D Stewart

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Mar 2016 19:27

Birth first qtr 1936 mmn Flint ( from freebmd.org.uk)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 28 Mar 2016 19:32

for info of helpers

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1356771?page=2

I did suggest that Dave continue the search there, for his mother, and last we heard you were getting her marriage certificate.

?

The marriage was in 1958 and you can find it here:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Dave knows that his father is deceased but does not know about his mother, thus the caution in posting personal info.

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Mar 2016 19:39

Cheers Joonie, probably better to continue there then as it has pertinent details.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 28 Mar 2016 19:45

Dave, no Shirley Stewart born late 1935-early 1936 died between 1957 and 2007.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 28 Mar 2016 19:51

I think it's probably easier to continue here actually, since that thread was about other things up until that page.

it can be summarized as: Dave was the last child of the marriage ... but the first child was reregistered under the father's surname in 1961.

Dave's dad

Births Jun 1926
STEWART Royston D Buckeldee Ipswich 4a 1723

He had been previously married ... I'm not sure what Dave knows about his death.

Shirley may have remarried or died ...

roy david

roy david Report 28 Mar 2016 20:01

Hy again,
Joonie, I must be doing something wrong,I found the marriage records and put them in "my keepsafe" but now I cant access them,I know its the right lady but I have searched freebmd for the other info but keep getting nowhere.

roy david

roy david Report 28 Mar 2016 20:04

also I know all about my dads death, "Shirley may have remarried or died " thats what I am trying to find out.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 28 Mar 2016 20:04

you have the marriage certificate you mean?

in any case as Rose has posted we know Shirley's parents' surnames from her birth record in the index

and you can find their marriage at freebmd

there simply is no death for Shirley Stewart born 1935-36, no middle name, in the complete deaths index to 2007 at Ancestry

did you get Shirley's birth certificate to learn her exact date of birth?

if so you can send it to me privately and I will search the complete deaths index for any Shirley with that birthdate, as she could have remarried or her death could be listed under the surname of a partner

or she could be still living, she would be 80 or almost and that is quite possible

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 28 Mar 2016 20:15

the 1939 register site at findmypast is not functioning

I thought it might be possible to find Shirley in her parents' household and see whether the record has been 'opened' indicating that she is deceased

edit - got it working, found Clarence H Towers, but now the site won't show the household ...

Shirley does have two younger siblings ... have you tried looking for them?

at freebmd, just search for births named Towers with mother Flint

Shirley's parents died in the 1990s

Name: Clarence Holland Towers
Birth Date: 20 May 1910
Date of Registration: Dec 1993
Age at Death: 83
Registration district: Worksop
Inferred County: Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire
Register Number: 4AA
District and Subdistrict: 6911A
Entry Number: 200

Name: Edna May Towers
Birth Date: 14 Sep 1913
Date of Registration: Feb 1995
Age at Death: 81
Registration district: Chesterfield
Inferred County: Derbyshire
Register Number: C44E
District and Subdistrict: 3931C
Entry Number: 263

you could obtain Edna's death certificate to see whether a family member was the informant, and it should give an address at the time if so

have you contacted the other members with her parents in their trees?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/flint/edna?memberkey=0&yearofbirth=1913

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/tree/results/towers/clarence?memberkey=0&yearofbirth=1910

one person has them both ... you don't have Edna in yours

roy david

roy david Report 28 Mar 2016 20:15

I did not get her birth certificate, I dont think my dad and mum got divorced so didnt think my mum would be able to remarry.
could you remind me how to get her birth certificate please

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 28 Mar 2016 20:22

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

and get the details from freebmd ... name, year, quarter, volume, page

not posting here as she may be living

I would definitely do that as it could be the only way to match a death if she is deceased

she might have lived for many years with a partner and not married, but be buried under his surname

just for info there are no other births in Ipswich with mother Towers after yourself until 1997

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Mar 2016 00:43

Joonie

was this the Clarence H Towers you found??

I don't think it's the correct family .............. wife's name wrong, no closed records at all

Towers Household (2 People) 69 St Ever Road , Leicester C.B., Leicestershire, England

First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Occupation
Clarence H Towers 08 Feb 1910 Typewriter Machani?
Hilda Towers 14 Aug 1909 Hand Method Folder Bo? Sh?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 29 Mar 2016 00:50

Could be - fmp just kept giving me error messages and telling me it was working on the problem, and then refusing to find what it had found before ...

... turns out there were 2 Clarence H Towers-s ! born in 1910

so yes, that one is the other one, born Rugby in 1st quarter

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 29 Mar 2016 00:58

found them, no help

Edna M Towes 14 Sep 1913 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 59 2
Clarence H Towes 20 May 1910 Male Mill Hand Lower Grinder Wool & Cotton Spinning Married 59 1
Sorry, this record is officially closed. Check if you can open a closed record.

that closed record would be Shirley - her siblings were born after 1939

it doesn't mean she is still living, only that no death was matched to her 1939 record

roy david

roy david Report 31 Mar 2016 19:28

Joonie, I have found the two siblings of my mum you directed me to so will have a bash and finding them, they may be able to help,also I was born in Retford not Ipswich, my siblings that you helped me to find were all born in Ipswich.I am pretty sure that Clarence was my grandad, c1905, thanks again for all your eforts and tips.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 31 Mar 2016 20:19

fingers crossed and keep us posted!

roy david

roy david Report 31 Mar 2016 20:56

Joonie,
I just rang the Terence Towers,sibling of Shirley, and the chap said they are not the ones I was looking for, so I must be barking up the wrong tree :-(,,, no worries onwards and upwards

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Apr 2016 20:48

Roy david, sorry if I am repeating what has been asked before but does the marriage cert for Shirley to Royston Stewart give her father's name and occupation or any clues from the names of the witnesses?

roy david

roy david Report 2 Apr 2016 19:28

Rose, I dont have the marriage cert,to be honest, I dont even know if they were married, I am pretty sure they were but not definite