Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James Drummond b1789 Falkirk

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

drummo

drummo Report 8 Apr 2016 09:31

Hi all I was wondering if anyone can throw any further light on the following seamans ticket

Merchant Seaman Ticket No. 5368
James Drummond
Born: Falkirk
County of Stirling 15th October 1789
Capacity: Seaman
Height 5ft 6
Hair Dark Grey
Complexion Dark
Eyes Grey
Marks Scar on Forehead
First went to sea as Apprentice in the year 1803
Served in the Royal Navy 18 months
When unemployed resides at Sunderland
Can write Yes

I think he may be the James Drummond who married Mary Husband in Whitby in 1812 and started a family their before moving to Sunderland around 1825
I am trying to find any info before his marriage

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Apr 2016 14:50

?????????

Drumond
Gender Male
Christening Date 31 Aug 1788
Christening Place , FALKIRK, STIRLING, SCOTLAND
Father's Name John Drumond

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Apr 2016 14:51

Name James Drummond
Birth Date 1789
Age 24
Spouse's Name Mary Husband
Spouse's Birth Date 1791
Spouse's Age 22
Event Date 09 Jan 1813
Event Place Whitby, York, England

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Apr 2016 14:54

four children - James Mary Ann, Jane and William - 1819, 1917, 1824, 1815 respectively - all born in Whitby

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Apr 2016 15:03

Name James Drummond
Event Type Census
Event Date 1871
Event Place Sunderland, Durham, England
Enumeration District 2
Gender Male
Age 83
Marital Status Married
Occupation Marriner
Relationship to Head of Household Head
Birth Year (Estimated) 1788
Birthplace Scotland
Entry Number 20
Affiliate Image Identifier GBC/1871/5013/0110

James Drummond Head M 83 Scotland
Mary Drummond Wife F 76 Yorkshire

drummo

drummo Report 8 Apr 2016 15:36

Thanks Ann I have all the information on James Drummond and his family born in Whitby and Sunderland right up to the present day.As all the census and his marriage details states born Scotland I am trying to pin point which of the many James's born in Scotland is the one who married Mary Husband in 1813 and the birth you have added with father being John may well be the James I am looking for although the seaman's ticket details state birth 15th October 1789

drummo

drummo Report 8 Apr 2016 16:40

Hello Ann I have just obtained 20 free credits for "Scotlands people" and have found James Drummond b-1787 Falkirk Stirling,parents James Drummond & Janet Robertson.The birth year is 2 years different from the seaman's ticket but looks a big possibility.No other matches come up nor any other information

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Apr 2016 13:39

Without spending my own credits to check it myself, and without wanting to dash your hopes, that "birth" is a parish record, and is more likely to be the child's christening than his birth, which could have been anything up to several years earlier.
So take it with a large pinch of salt.

Also you need to remember that the old parish registers were patchy, and many have not survived. In addition, many people didn't bother to have events registered at all.

There's a list of OPR's in existence here:
http://tinyurl.com/jzrtsnd

drummo

drummo Report 9 Apr 2016 19:32

Hi the seaman's ticket and the parish record both state birth Falkirk 15th October which to me is a very big coincidence even though one states 1787 and the other 1789.I know nothing is certain but I do think this is a big possibility Wish I could make a link to the Whitby marriage in 1813