Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death of John Clark

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 12 Apr 2016 12:18

My 3x gt grandfather John Clark left his wife and 9 children sometime after 1801. The children were all baptised at St John the Baptist Church Croydon. I am trying to find out where and when John died. I thought I had found him in the 1841 census but when his son William re married in 1840 the marriage certificate described his father as 'deceased'. Should I take this statement at face value?

Dea

Dea Report 12 Apr 2016 12:25

You can never take these things as true !

If John left his wife and children when they were very young they may well have been told he was dead....

His family might have 'believed' he was dead or just wanted to disown him, even if he were alive.

There could be many explanations but unless you can find a death and prove it is the correct John Clark you can never be sure.

Dea x

malyon

malyon Report 12 Apr 2016 12:59

when was john clark born and where? was his wife called martha

Christine

Christine Report 12 Apr 2016 16:39

PS I do not know where John was born, maybe Essex. Think it was around 1760.
C

malyon

malyon Report 12 Apr 2016 16:43

this could be john

John Clark
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
birth: 1764
christening: 1764 SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, CROYDON, SURREY, ENGLAND
residence: 1764 Croydon, Surrey, England
father: George Clark
mother: Elizabeth

malyon