Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Quick family finder

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Willg003

Willg003 Report 7 May 2016 17:36

Hi all,

I'm trying to use the quick family finder but once I tracks my great grandmother's name it says oops and I don't understand why I'm a full member and all but its frustrating as I'm stuck tracing relatives past my grandparents ??

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 May 2016 17:46

I don't use records here so I can't say for sure whether what you are seeing is 'normal'

If you want to put your grandparents names someone will either try and replicate your search on here and see if it's working, or will look at other sites.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 May 2016 17:47

welcome to the boards - try this - www.familysearch.org - it's a free site

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 May 2016 18:58

I've never tried Quick Family finder before, as, like RR, I don't use the records on GR.

However, I've just tried it out with my grandmother's details, and it found her birth record with no trouble.

You should bear in mind, though, that it will only find English and Welsh records.

So it's useless for me to try to use it to trace my ancestry, as it wants me to start with my own birth record - which it doesn't have on its system, as I was born in Scotland.
I entered my grandmother's details instead, and it did find her birth, but then wouldn't let me go further, probably because I was claiming to be my grandmother!

Fortunately there are lots of genealogy sites which have a wider range of records.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 May 2016 19:17

If you're determined to use Quick Family Finder, email

[email protected]

Explain your problem and ask for help.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 May 2016 20:16

message sent to poster advising there are replies for her

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 7 May 2016 21:24

I had never heard of it, but have just tried with myself. It found my birth OK and I confirmed my mother's maiden name, as requested.

It then refused to go any further back!

Hilary

Hilary Report 8 May 2016 06:26

Not heard of it either but just had a go & it can't even find me. I know where & what year I was born so don't think it is much use. Must be frustrating for newbies.

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 8 May 2016 07:26

Just tried it. Find me easily, confirmed my mum's maiden name and then "sorry an unexpected error has occurred"...

Jude

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 8 May 2016 11:30

Just another bit of GR which doesn't work. What a surprise!