Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

mary hendrick nee reidy and john hendrick

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anita

Anita Report 4 Jul 2016 11:54

Mary Reidy married John Hendrick in Ireland and had children between 1920 to 1929 lived in Waterford Ireland .
One child a girl Mary born 1929 in waterford we are told that her mother Mary died at child birth but no dead certificate and her father John died in 1930 s. but again no death certificate.
we are also told she was the only child but found out there were more girls and boys .but have no information about any of them . i also got told that they could have left the country and moved with other children to wales but no information on any of that. leaving daughter mary behind and in foster care in kilmoganny co kilkenny but no information on this . know mary married a james allen from kilmoganny and married kilkenny. in 1955 . If anyone could help me with these mysteries i would appreciate it or any help . thank you anita :-)

Potty

Potty Report 4 Jul 2016 12:19

Do you have the 1916 marriage cert for Mary & John? If so, what was Mary's age?

Anita

Anita Report 4 Jul 2016 12:47

Hi am not sure at the mo i got information when i was in ireland and need to see if i can find it. It may take a bit of time so i will have to get back to you.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 4 Jul 2016 15:50

Related thread...Has plenty info.to take your search forward.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1259332

Note Shirley's post at the bottom June 2016

Anita

Anita Report 10 Jul 2016 21:30

Hi Mary and John Hendrick married in Waterford in 1916 . john lived in Morrison Street/Rd then when married lived at 36 spring alley gardens Waterford my mother in law Mary Hendrick born 1929 was living there for about 3yearsfrom birth as far as I know . found out that Mary the mother I think she had other children Bridget 1922 died @15months. John and Thomas 1924 and25 then Christopher 1927 then my mother in law Mary Hendrick married name Allen. I can not find death of Mary Hendrick and John Hendrick my mother in law was in foster care in kilmoganny and told her mum died at child birth no record and father John died in car accident in 1930/32 but again no record. So Mary my mother in law never new them. She never even knew any other bothers and sisters. I found that these children Bridget, John,Thomas and Christopher. All have same mother and father on birth certificates and mother. Also they lived in 36 spring alley gardens. BUT there's no death certificates for any of they only Bridget and mother in law Mary Hendrick now Allen died 2014 in kilmoganny. Parents mystery some one said children and parents moved over to England. But why leave Mary in foster home.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 10 Jul 2016 21:57

Anita..Did you manage to contact Shirley...?

Anita

Anita Report 12 Jul 2016 12:11

i have sent a message to her. i need to know if the information on her grandfather and grandmother and her fathers birth and death certificate also if they moved to England from where in Ireland. so as i can match up . i have know idea what has happened to my husbands mother and father Mary Reidy (Hendrick) and John Hendrick from the time Mary Hendrick married name Allen husbands mother was born in Waterford hospital, she was told her mother died at child birth. she lived with father in spring garden alley until her father then died from a car accident. she was then fostered to frends i think in Kilmoganny Kilkenny where she lived with an other girl that was given back to her parents and then Mary when older worked and lived with the priest from Kilmoganny church then until she married local lad James Allen In Kilkenny Cathederal in 1955. then moved to England. Now we never new if there were any other brothers and sisters as she always thought that she was the only one. there is a record of a Mary Hendrick that died in waterford hospital but it said i think it was a baby not the mother.
i Tried to speak to waterford registery office some time ago and this is when they say shirley s father had the same name and mum and dad also other brothers and a sister also lived at spring garden alley too . then its all blank as mary was looked after by someone else confusing. lf any one can help unravel it would be great for my husband and his brothers . if shirelys grandfather and mother moved here from same place as mary its more beliveable but why leave mary. or no death certificates.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 12 Jul 2016 12:30

Is it possible that John was still living and that the story of parent's death was just a tale to justify being in care?

name(s) John Hendrick
Age at death 57
Birth year 1894
Registered year 1951
Registered quarter/year Oct - Dec 1951
Registration district Waterford
Volume 4
Page 392
County Kilkenny, Waterford
Country Ireland
Record set Irish Deaths 1864 - 1958
-----------------------------------------

EDIT: This John was a Bachelor

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 12 Jul 2016 13:50

Also- on your other post you state Mary's brother was Thomas Hendrick born 12th May 1924- this death record matches the date of birth:

Name: Thomas Hendrick
Birth Date: 12 May 1924
Date of Registration: Feb 2002
Age at Death: 77
Registration district: South Cheshire
Inferred County: Cheshire
Register Number: B7B
District and Subdistrict: 3411B
Entry Number: 225

There's also a possible marriage for this man in 1960 and children born in Cheshire.

Anita

Anita Report 12 Jul 2016 14:28

Hi AustinQ , thank you for your reply but i have Mary Reidy Married name Hendrick and John Hendrick there marriage certificate states they married in The Roman Cathlic Cathederal in Waterford on the 21st october 1916, age 20 john was a porter lived in morrission road father thomas hendrick an engine driver and mary was a house maid from spring garden ally father was john reidy a labourer. this is from waterford registery office . page 23 no. 45.
i have birth record certificate of thomas hendrick born 12th may 1924 born to john and mary hendrick born spring garden ally no.249 reg no 1957229
john francis hendrick born 20th october 1925 to both mary and john again born in spring garden ally no.227 reg no. 2173479
christopher hendrick born 19th November 1927 same as others no.385 reg no. 5019323
bridget josephine hendrick 21st september 1922 born at maternity hospital think it said rigmont street no. 159 reg. 1854005 and she diedin 1923
then i have mary born 1929 august 25 and a death of 1930 six months old ?????

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 12 Jul 2016 16:17

But the above death record for Thomas Hendrick could be Mary's brother...

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 12 Jul 2016 17:11

Anita- do you have Mary's (b1929) marriage certificate to James Allen? Does it list her father as John Hendrick?

Are you certain that your Mary's birthday was 25th August 1929?

When/ where did your Mary die?

There is a Mary Margaret Hendrick born Kilkenny in 1929 with mother's maiden name Hendrick. Is it possible that this is your Mary? It seems strange that your Mary had no idea of any siblings- unless you know her birthday was 25th August, then this birth seems more likely.

Birth:
First name(s) Mary Margaret
Last name Hendrick
Registration year 1929
Registered quarter/year Apr - Jun 1929
Registration district Waterford
Volume 4
Page 513
Mother's last name (original) Hendrick
County Kilkenny, Waterford
Country Ireland
Record set Irish Births 1864-1958
-----------------------------------

This is likely the death of John and Mary's daughter Mary (which makes the above birth even more likely):

Mary Hendrick (Child of Dock Labourer)
Death: 21st February 1930
Abode: 36 Spring Garden Alley
Registered by: John Hendrick of 36 Spring Garden Alley, father
SR District/Reg Area Waterford

Anita

Anita Report 23 Jul 2016 22:27

Hi AustinQ. After all the information i collected on marys family as i thought it all may be mary hendrick mother margaret hendrick born may 1929 from what the register office told me as the other isnt adding up. Only know that margaret hendrick was a housemaid ina village. Co. Kilkenny. Iwas told that mary brought up by a Couple called jack walsh and his wife in kilmoganny along with another little girl until the little girl s parents took her back. Leaving mary .then walshes moved and mary at 14yrs was taken inby curit of local. Church. Were she cleaned the house and chur h for her keep.Married james allen in 1955 kilkeny cathedral. She died february 2014 james died 2003.. is there any other information i need.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 24 Jul 2016 00:02

Anita.. I am looking over what you have posted re the Marriage of Mary Reidy and John Hendrick Waterford 1916 dont you think it strange they had no children before Bridget Josephine (1922) and then a child nearly every year afterwards.....???

Anita

Anita Report 19 Mar 2018 20:56

Hi, does anyone know how I can find out about another Mary Margret Hendrick born same day as my mother in law at Waterford hospital, same name, as now think that something is not right with the birth certificate of my mother in law, it sounds that when she asked the offices in Waterford for her birth certificate as she did not have one and needs one to get married and I think that this was the wrong birth certificate so now need to find out the other person and their birth mother . told this other mary was born to a house maid , and put in a foster home in kilmoganny c/o Kilkenny.
born in Waterford hospital, on 25th august 1929.

Mary

Mary Report 20 Mar 2018 14:30

Mary Hendrick mum Reidy J/A/S 1929 V4 P507

Mary Margaret Hendrick mum nee Hendrick JA/M/J 1929 V4 P 513 so she wasn't born in August.

Reading through this it seems the Mary born to Mary Reidy and John Hendrick died age 6 months.

So it does look like your Mary got the wrong birth cert when she applied for it.
Maybe her marriage cert to Mr Allen would solve her parentage.

Maryb.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 21 Mar 2018 20:26

It certainly looks like your Mary was given the wrong birth certificate. You really need to buy the certificate for the birth AustinQ posted for Mary Margaret Hendrick. You say that your Mary only got a copy of her birth certificate before she married. The details about her father on the marriage record would be taken from the details on the wrong birth certificate! Also, she probably celebrated her birthday on the date of birth given on the wrong birth certificate but that doesn't seem to be her DOB. The birth posted by AustinQ was recorded in the April / May / June quarter of 1929. You really need to get that certificate to establish her mother's name. As the mother appears to be unmarried, it may be that your Mary was just told that her mother had died in childbirth as she was unable to keep her baby and had to give her up for fostering or adoption.

The family of John Hendrick and Mary Reidy do not seem to be related to your Mary.

When you get your Mary's birth certificate, you can then look for a death or marriage for her mother as you will, at least, have her mother's name to work with.

Come back and let us know how you get on.

Anita

Anita Report 22 Mar 2018 15:39

Hello to Mary and Rootgatherer , yes it seems that my Mary had the wrong birth certificate given to her at the registry. office so therefore wrong parents . I have her married certificate that she was given to her when she got married. so this also means that the marriage certificate is ????. now I have to start again so I will re try AustinQ.
Now it seams very much that my Mary only knew her foster parents Mr and Mrs Walsh of Kilmoganny .Kilkenny. born in Waterford. I shell keep in touch it does take me a bit of time to get into this thanks for all your help up to now.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 22 Mar 2018 15:59

I'm sure you have the correct marriage certificate. Mary would have given the details of her father from the wrong birth certificate that she was given. Hopefully when you get a copy of the correct certificate you will be able to trace her mother and family. It's always possible that her Mum didn't die but went on to marry and have more children.

Do you know the first names of Mr. or Mrs. Walsh please?

Good luck with your research.

Anita

Anita Report 1 Apr 2018 17:25

Hi Rootgatherer,
I think the name for Mrs Walsh was Biddy.
we didn't know much, only that mrs Walsh also fostered another girl ..Also Mary moved out when she was 14 and lived in with Father ? house cleaning and church . in Kilmoganny. schooled in Kilmoganny too,