Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Trotman born abt; 1745 in Dursley ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jul 2016 20:16

I am trying to trace a Trotman family from Dursley and have found on Phillimore's records the following people who I am cross referencing with a tree someone has sent me. I have John Trotman b, abt; 1723 who married Ann Hanley or could be Hadley, the record I have show they had a son also John in 1745. He eventually married Elizabeth Lewton on the 12th Oct 1772 in Dursley and as far as I can see they had two children John and Samuel 1775-1775. This John went on to marry Elizabeth Everett on the 16th Dec1794. Can any one tell me which site I need to get a continuity of the family and any other children not shown on the records I have.

Keith

Andrew

Andrew Report 4 Jul 2016 20:26

Hi and welcome to the message boards.

I vaguely remember someone else researching this family a while back.

This could be John b1723. Expect to find odd spellings of the name.

Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813

Name:John Tratman
Event Type:Baptism
Baptism Date:21 Sep 1723
Baptism Place:Slimbridge, Gloucestershire, England
Parish as it Appears:Slimbridge
Register Type:Bishop's Transcripts
Father: John Tratman

Andy

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jul 2016 20:49

Thanks Andy this does give me a start, I will have a look through Phillimore's births now and see if I can find him.

Keith

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Jul 2016 21:06

Andy, Ok this is what I have on my tree John Trotman 1723 but it looks like he is the one that died two years later in 1725, and as you say this is in Slimbridge. it also shows the John and Elizabeth had another boy who they also called John b.1725. I must look on the map and see how far Slimbridge is from Dursley. There are so many John at this time finding the correct one id something else.

Keith

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Jul 2016 01:26

just posting this to show you

John Trotman and Ann Hadley's marriage from freereg .........

County Gloucestershire
Place Dursley
Church name St James
Register type Unspecified
Marriage date 21 Mar 1754
Groom forename John
Groom surname TROTMAN
Bride forename Ann
Bride surname HADLEY

Try this site .............

http://freereg2.freereg.org.uk/

It's free

you might also get something from the Mormon site, family search ...... just keep to the Parish Records, which are excellent. Do NOT pay attention to member-submitted trees or information until you are far more certain about the famiiy. Too many people submit facts "massaged" to fit in with what they want to match :-D

https://familysearch.org/search/

and this part of family search is the list of collections, you can search to see what they have ...........

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jul 2016 12:45

Sylvia I always value your genealogist imput, and as you say following what you see on other people's tree's is a bad practice unless of course you can see the documentation, my problem is deciding who follows who for example, this John who married Ann Hadley I feel that the person who sent me his tree to look at and has Ann Hanley is wrong only because Dursley being a small village and I counld not find a marriage for Ann Hanley at the time and your finding is correct because I have since found Ann Hadley, but this with me is the problem how do you, unless you have the Will's decide who is John's son or daughter. Some of Phillimore's early transcripts as you probably know were set out eg The son of or daughter of whoever and you stood a chance of building a family. Its only with experts like yourself that give me some steerage around the centuries that I am able to find these long lost cousins.

I will try the site that you have recommended.

Keith

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jul 2016 15:30

Sylvia, a terrific place you told me about I found many people, I found John Trotman and Ann Hadley but it doesn't tell you who John's parents were, I always work on trial and elimination but even then you can go wrong.

Regards Keith

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 Jul 2016 16:05

Keith, as there have been numerous threads on the Trotman family on your previous accounts, it might be fairer to let helpers know this and that you are by your own account an experienced researcher already.

For ref helpers, google genesreunited Trotman

For example http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1359930?page=1

Maddie

Maddie Report 10 Jul 2016 16:25

?
Thomas Henry
Last name Tredgold
Age 25
Birth year 1894
Birth county Middlesex
Birth country England
Service number 30096
Regiment Loyal North Lancashire Regiment
Unit / Battalion 3rd Battalion
Year 1919
Series WO 364
Series description WO 364 - First World War pension claims
Archive The National Archives
Record set British Army Service Records
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from Great Britain

brightsolid online publishing ltd.

JOHN
Last name TROTMAN
Birth year 1727
Baptism year 1727
Baptism date 12 Jun
Baptism place DURSLEY
Father's first name(s) Samuel
Mother's first name(s) Elizabeth
County Gloucestershire
Country England
Record set Gloucestershire Baptisms
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Births & baptisms

JOHN
Last name TROTMAN
Birth year 1718
Baptism year 1718
Baptism date 02 Apr
Baptism place DURSLEY
Father's first name(s) Nathaniel
Mother's first name(s) Elizabeth
County Gloucestershire
Country England
Record set Gloucestershire Baptisms
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Births & baptisms

Maddie

Maddie Report 10 Jul 2016 16:26

find my past has many records

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 Jul 2016 17:17

Thank you everyone who has helped me over the years, and at last I have found a site that doesn't snap back at you and tell you that you are doing this wrong or that wrong. Goodbye all you very helpful people on GR and that's the people who don't snap back, I get feed up to the teeth as the saying goes, so you will never hear from me again on GR.

Keith

Rambling

Rambling Report 10 Jul 2016 17:35

Keith in your own words you are "back to 1568", now I don't mind helping anyone and everyone...but as in the thread I mentioned above I found that I was duplicating research that had been found FOUR years previously.

As people who have previously helped you have said, the starting of a new account 'implies' that you are new to this site. Therefore helpers will only end up duplicating info unless you TELL them you are not new and already have extensive info on the Trotman families.