Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jane Ann Booth,born in 1775, Yorkshire.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 26 Jul 2016 10:10

I wondered if anyone can help me to find out if Jane Ann Booth, born in 1775, presumably, was a daughter of Thomas and Ann Booth ( nee Hague), who were both born in Hemsworth,Yorkshire in 1745 and 1748 respectively. I could not see Jane's name in the list of their children in the Familysearch.org genealogy site run by the Mormons, but I know that information in that site is not complete and not all is 100% accurate from what I have read.
I have information from family trees which have Thomas and Ann as her parents, but I cannot find confirmation of this. Jane Ann Booth married a Francis John McCausland ( born in Tyrone, Ireland in 1765, son of Robert McCausland ), in 1796, in West Virginia, U.S and settled in Pennsylvania. I am overseas so cannot search local records or Parish /church records and wondered if there were any free sites online, which might help me with my research. Any help will be gratefully received. Thank you.

Gillian.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Jul 2016 10:30

Gillian -
re Familysearch - if you go by the "Records" section, it's pretty accurate, as that's from actual records - although of course old records have not necessarily survived, and may not have existed in the first place, as it depended on how efficiently each church's records were kept.

Don't trust anything found in the "Genealogies" section - that's just what people have put on their trees, which may be pure guesswork.

Maddie

Maddie Report 26 Jul 2016 14:24

from find a grave

Francis McCausland

Memorial
Photos
Flowers
Edit

Learn about upgrading this memorial...
Birth: 1770, Ireland
Death: 1828
Franklin Township
Greene County
Pennsylvania, USA

Francis McCausland (McCaslin) born in Ireland 1765-1775 and died in Franklin Township, Greene County, Pennsylvania about 1828. It is not known when the surname was changed from McCausland to McCaslin. Francis' children all carried the McCaslin name.

Francis married Jane Booth who also was born in Ireland 1775-1780 and died after 1830. Francis and Jane McCaslin came to Greene County about 1806, having previously resided in Berkeley County, Virginia (now WVA), near Martinsburg. Francis was a stone mason building some of the first brick and stone houses in the Franklin Township area; his son, Maxwell, assisted him in this work. Francis, though he came from Ireland, was of Scotch ancestry and of the Episcopalian faith; his wife was a Presbyterian.

Their children include:
Anna McCaslin Keigley (1799-1885)
Maxwell McCaslin (Colonel of the 15th WVA Infantry during the Civil War; 1802-1880)
Angeline W. McCaslin Taylor (1805-1888)
Lucy B. McCaslin (1808-1860)
Harvey McCaslin (1810, died young)
Jane McCaslin (1812-1892)
Maria McCaslin Marshall (1815-1865)
Elizabeth C. McCaslin (1817-1859/60)
**See Maxwell McCaslin's Last Will & Testament available at Ancestry.com, listing his siblings and some of his nephews and nieces.

Family links:
Spouse:
Jane Ann? Booth McCausland (1775 - ____)*

Children:
Maxwell McCaslin (1802 - 1880)*
Elizabeth C. McCaslin Carroll (1815 - 1860)*

*Calculated relationship

Burial:
Unknown

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Jul 2016 15:02

If that biography is correct, Jane Ann was born in Ireland, so wouldn't be daughter of Thomas and Ann.

But the biographer may have got it wrong.

Gillian

Gillian Report 27 Jul 2016 06:27

To Argyll Gran and Maddie, who have both kindly replied to my query about Jane Ann Booth. I am now thinking that perhaps Jane Ann Booth wasn't the daughter of Thomas Booth and Ann Hague after all, as the biography ( which I have not seen before) indicates that Jane was born in Ireland. As Argyll Gran pointed out, family trees aren't always accurate and often compiled through guesswork. One tree found, had Thomas and Ann of Hemsworth, Yorkshire as Jane Ann's parents, but Jane born in Ireland in 1775 and the owner believed that Jane was her 5x great grandmother, so I assumed that she must have had accurate information. When asked about this, the owner told me that she had found the information from other trees, so wasn't too sure about the accuracy. However, she might have been mistaken about her ancestors and followed the wrong line.
As pointed out, the biographer might have made a mistake about Jane's origins. I will have another look at the Familysearch records. Thank you both, Argyll Gran and Maddie,once again for taking the time to help me with my query.

Gillian.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 27 Jul 2016 07:45

Below come up on Find My Past, Father Thomas, occ. Labourer. (from image)

Marriage Thomas Booth/Ann Hague 1770 Oct 22. Hemsworth.

Chris :)

Yorkshire, bishop's transcripts of baptisms Hemsworth, Yorkshire (West Riding), England

Booth Ann 1782
Booth Joseph 1773
Booth Mary 1775
Booth John 1779
Booth Thomas 1773

Gillian

Gillian Report 11 Mar 2017 02:38

To Chris Ho,who replied to my query about Jane Ann Booth in July last year ( 2016). It appears that I did not acknowledge your response and for that I'm very sorry,. I don't come onto this site very often, so if I missed your reply, please accept my very belated apology . I am still looking to see if Jane Ann Booth is related to me, but from what I have seen from the responses, it seems very unlikely now. Thanks again for taking the time to have a look for answers and replying to me.

Regards,

Gillian.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 11 Mar 2017 17:04

I'm puzzled as to how Jane's name came to your attention, Gillian.

Are the McCauslands in your tree, and you came across her because she married Francis?

Or are Thomas & Ann Booth in your tree? I'm assuming so, because you now think she's not their daughter, and therefore not related to you.

But then how do the McCauslands come into it?

malyon

malyon Report 11 Mar 2017 18:52

Jane Ann Booth
England Deaths and Burials
Name
Jane Ann Booth
Burial Date
07 Jul 1875
Burial Place
Pontefract, York, England

Gillian

Gillian Report 11 Mar 2017 22:59

To Malyon,

Thanks for sending the death details of Jane Ann Booth, who died in 1875 Unfortunately, the Jane Ann Booth I was researching, died in the U,S and not Pontefract and so the date you sent did not belong to her. However, thank you for the time taken to have a look for me ......that is appreciated.

Regards,
Gillian.