Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

frederick william day

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sue1946

sue1946 Report 26 Jul 2016 10:53

please can anyone help me my dad will be 90 in dec and we want to do him a this is your life book and I am trying to find out about the schools he went to hr lived in morning lane hackney does any one no how I can do this please

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Jul 2016 11:03

Title:
SOUTH HACKNEY SCHOOL

Reference:
ACC/3454

Description:

The records of this deposit were donated to the GLRO by the wife of the late Headmaster on 14 Dec 1994. They include the logbook of the Headmistress, Miss Beswick, and contain her thoughts on the eve of retirement as she looks back over the life of the school. (ACC/3454/13). There is also a more detailed history of the school in 'The Diary' - 1910-1955 'The Story of Cassland Secondary School' (ACC/3454/10/1-4).

Date:
1910-1982

Held by:
London Metropolitan Archives: City of London, not available at The National Archives

South Hackney School began its life as Lauriston Road Central School, which opened in March 1911 in an area that was then a fashionable suburb of London. After World War One air raids over London, the school moved into an existing school building in Cassland Road in 1917. It is believed that this Cassland Road building was the last Higher Grade School built by the London School Board before county councils took over responsibility for education in 1904.

The name of the school changed in 1913 to Hackney Central school, which reflected its role as one of the new Central schools established in 1911 by the LCC to provide education for brighter children whose parents could not afford the fees and had not won a scholarship. According to Mr Chew, Hackney Central's Headmaster from 1911-1943, these schools "were intended to put boys and girls on the road they could travel best." Hackney Central Secondary school covered a fixed catchment area of elementary schools, and began with a commercial bias towards shorthand, book-keeping and typing. The syllabus developed towards more general education, although passing public examinations was not the primary aim of the Central Schools

SOUTH HACKNEY SCHOOL | The National Archives
discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/0b3812c8-f787-4ce7-9d... Cached
SOUTH HACKNEY SCHOOL Reference: ACC/3454 Description: The records of this deposit were ... EO/DIV4/LAU/LB/2 1913-1926 Boys ...

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Jul 2016 11:04

Hackney: Education | British History Online
www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol10/pp148-165 Cached
By 1903 the 28 board schools in Hackney M.B. had accommodation for 33,758 and a ... Hackney education ... Holcroft Rd. Opened 1926 as Holcroft Rd ...

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Jul 2016 11:05

SOUTH HACKNEY SCHOOL - Aim25
www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/vcdf/detail?coll_id=13536&inst_id=118 Cached
Records of South Hackney School, ... Admission + Discharge Registers EO/DIV4/SOU/A&D/1 1910-1912 EO/DIV4/SOU/A&D/1 1913-1926 Inspectors Reports LCC/EO/PS/12/573/1

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Jul 2016 11:06

from the above site

South Hackney School began its life as Lauriston Road Central School, which opened in March 1911 in an area that was then a fashionable suburb of London. After World War One air raids over London, the school moved into an existing school building in Cassland Road in 1917. It is believed that this Cassland Road building was the last Higher Grade School built by the London School Board before county councils took over responsibility for education in 1904.

The name of the school changed in 1913 to Hackney Council School, which reflected its role as one of the new central schools established in 1911 by the London County Council to provide education for brighter children whose parents could not afford the fees and who had not won a scholarship. According to Mr. Chew, Hackney Central's headmaster from 1911 to 1943, these schools 'were intended to put boys and girls on the road they could travel best'. Hackney Central Secondary School covered a fixed catchment area of elementary schools, and began with a commercial bias towards shorthand, book-keeping and typing. The syllabus developed towards more general education, although passing public examinations was not the primary aim of the central schools.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jul 2016 11:06

So born 1926? Although Ancestry has lists of school admissions and discharges, they finish before he was born.

If you know (or we can find) were he & his parents lived during his school years, you might be able to work out the nearest likely primary schools. It might not be quite so easy with Secondary Schools as a Selective system was in place - Grammar, Secondary, Technical. Can you have a chat with him and see if he is forthcoming?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 26 Jul 2016 11:08

Name Frederick W Day
Event Type Birth Registration
Registration Quarter Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration Year 1927
Registration District Hackney
County London
Event Place Hackney, London, England
Mother's Maiden Name (not available before 1911 Q3) Cross
Volume 1B
Page 691
Line Number 38

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jul 2016 11:16

Were his parents Charles J Day and Lydia S?

sue1946

sue1946 Report 26 Jul 2016 11:16

thank you all my dad lived with his parents at 115 morning lane hackney he says he went to one school called morning lane school when he first started school his parents were Charles john day and Lydia susan day nee cross

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jul 2016 11:19

Morning Lane School, Hackney
The summary includes a brief description of the collection(s) (usually including the covering dates of the collection), the name of the archive where they are held, and reference information to help you find the collection.

Description Held by Reference Further information
1884-1939: log books

London Metropolitan Archives: City of London

LCC/EO/DIV04

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/c/F197637

You might have to visit the LMA in person, or pay a researcher/archivist.
Added - if you're lucky, the discharge listing might say which school he transferred to.

Dea

Dea Report 27 Jul 2016 07:48

1939 census:

Day Household (2 People) 115 Morning Lane , Hackney, London, England
Start free family tree
View original image
Print
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Occupation
Lydia S Day 08 Aug 1887 Unpaid Domestic Duties
Charles J Day 23 Apr 1883 3 Ply Travelling Trunk Maker
4 closed records here...........

Dea x

sue1946

sue1946 Report 27 Jul 2016 16:12

thank you all so much I have now been in touch with the archives and they are getting back to me in a couple of s time I have also spoke to some and the mod and they put me in touch with the right people to get my dads army records as well once again thank you so much for all your help sue

sue1946

sue1946 Report 25 Aug 2016 20:43

hi I am back I need more help I want to know how I can find electrol rolls for hyarold wood in the 50s as when I was young my mum and dad moved to Harold wood I think we were only there for about a year my dad is Frederick w day and mum name is doris evelyn day I am doing a this is your live book for my dads 90 birthday in December and would like to find out were we lived in Harold wood as he does not remember many thanks yet again sue

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Aug 2016 22:17

Re Harold Wood:

You could try contacting the main library for the area, Romford Central Library. They have a Local Studies section.

I don't know if they have such old ER's there, but no harm in asking.

Romford Central Library
St Edwards Way
Romford
RM1 3AR
Tel: 01708 432389 or 01708 432387

malyon

malyon Report 25 Aug 2016 23:35

26Cardinal Pole Roman Catholic School

Morning Lane

Hackney, London

E9 6LG

sue1946

sue1946 Report 19 Oct 2016 17:12

hi i am back again I am trying to find out were we lived in 1952 we moved to Harold wood from hackney I am doing a this is your life book for my dads 60th in December I was to young to remember were we moved to my dads name is Frederick William day he was born on the 5/12/1926 he married my mum doris evelyn day 19 19444 we moved to Harold wood in in 1952 any help would really be helpful thankyou sue

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Oct 2016 23:00

You possibly missed this reply
ArgyllGran Report 25 Aug 2016 22:17

Re Harold Wood:

You could try contacting the main library for the area, Romford Central Library. They have a Local Studies section.

I don't know if they have such old ER's there, but no harm in asking.
Romford Central Library
St Edwards Way
Romford
RM1 3AR
Tel: 01708 432389 or 01708 432387

Sorry - sometimes you have to do the leg work in person. Electoral Rolls are arranged by address. Without a starting point such as the road name, its going to take you days/weeks to plough through them all

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 20 Oct 2016 06:47

If they moved elsewhere for a short time they may not appear on the electoral rolls.

In 1951 they were living in Morning Lane.

London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965

26 Neville Road, Stoke Newington

Doris E Day
Frederick W Day
James H Rogers
Lilian F Rogers
Jean C Woodget

26 Neville Road, Stoke Newington

Doris E Day
Frederick W Day
Jean C Woodget