Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gone Abroad? - no trace

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christopher

Christopher Report 14 Aug 2016 18:36

Hi I'm looking for details of and Ellen Watson b c1930 ish Glasgow - I think deceased 1992. Her parents were Samuel Watson and Elizabeth Craney (m 1929) - I'm sure I did the search a couple of years ago on Scotland's Peolple but got myself mixed up. My mum remembers her on from 1950 (when she was three) and Ellen was a glamorous 17 year old - and as we are on holiday together trying to rack our brains and mash the iPad !!!!!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Aug 2016 18:45

Yes you would need Scotlands people for her birth

Have you looked for her parents on the 1939 register

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Aug 2016 19:00

?????????

Name Ellen Watson
Event Type Burial 2004
Event Place Larkhall, , South Lanarkshire, Scotland
Photograph Included N
Affiliate Record Identifier 136395757
Cemetery Larkhall Cemetery

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 14 Aug 2016 19:59

As far as I am aware the 1939 Scottish register is not available to search by the general public.

You would need to order her birth and death certificates as both are too recent to be viewed online. The certificates can be ordered via Scotlandspeople. Remember when searching the records that although she may have been known as Ellen but her birth, marriage and death may be registered as Helen.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 14 Aug 2016 20:10

Maybe?

1992 WATSON ELLEN MILLER Not Permissible GREGG F 61 GLASGOW, MARTHA ST GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 615/00 0222

The above would tie in with these birth registrations (note although the birth appears in the registration books for two districts, they will be the same child. If a child was born in hospital, in this case probably the Royal Maternity Hospital, Rottenrow in the St. Rollox district the birth would be registered in that district. The St. Rollox registrar would notify the registrar for the district covering the mother's usual residence. In this case that would be the Gorbals district.)

1930. WATSON ELLEN MILLER. F ST ROLLOX GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/08 2554
1930 WATSON ELLEN MILLER F Glasgow Gorbals /LANARK 644/17 1051

Christopher

Christopher Report 14 Aug 2016 20:13

I think it was 1992 - and I have a load of searches with Gregg in as well

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 14 Aug 2016 20:24

From the death I've posted it shows Gregg as another surname that she was known by.

Christopher

Christopher Report 14 Aug 2016 21:51

So this solves one holiday discussion point - she can't have been 17 in 1950 as my mother recalls - anyway of finding if they had children without paying on SP

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 15 Aug 2016 07:48

I don't think so. You would have to get credits (I used two credits to get her birth and death). You would need to use a credit to get the year of her marriage and then search for Gregg births in the same area. Given that her death was registered in Martha Street, she may have lived anywhere in Glasgow. The birth indexes don't give the mother's maiden surname so it would be pot luck.

Christopher

Christopher Report 18 Aug 2016 18:54

Hi - I've found two births 1967 Rhoda Watson Gregg and 1969 Jackie Watson Gregg (Male) - can't find any trace of death or marriage - could try kids but that may consume a lot of SP credits - any thoughts

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Aug 2016 21:40

Her marriage to Mr Gregg:

1955 GREGG JAMES SHEDDEN
WATSON ELLEN MILLER GORBALS GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/15 0627

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Aug 2016 22:11

IF they lived in the Gorbals after marriage, these are the only Gregg births from 1954 to 1970:

1955 GREIG GEORGE M GORBALS GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/15 0602

1955 GREIG JOHN MORRISON M GORBALS GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/15 0387

But if they lived elsewhere - well . . . . . there were 312 Gregg births between those years in all of Scotland. The proverbial haystack.

Christopher

Christopher Report 18 Aug 2016 22:35

Think Rhoda (F) and Jackie (M) are the children on account that their middle names were Watson (their mothers maiden name)

Just need a way of seeing what happened to Rhoda

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Aug 2016 18:17

Actually, those two births I posted won't be the right ones - different spelling of surname.

Christopher

Christopher Report 19 Aug 2016 18:39

Cheers - is the use of Jackie as a boys name common

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Aug 2016 18:41

No, at least not as an official name on a birth cert.

If he had been named James after his father, then he could have been called Jackie at home to differentiate - but I'm surprised he was named that officially.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 19 Aug 2016 19:59

Jackie is usually a form of John. My late father in law was officially registered as Jack in 1920. He was to be named for a maternal uncle who although he was known as Jack was John. When the father registered the birth, he thought his wife wanted him named Jack. Although Jack has become a popular name in recent years there weren't many around in the 1920s.

Christopher

Christopher Report 20 Aug 2016 07:21

Thanks all - any ideas on how I might find Rhoda Watson Gregg - I've done all the usual DC MC BC checks but no joy - could have gone abroad early

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 20 Aug 2016 08:54

If you buy a copy of Ellen's death certificate, the informant's name and address may prove useful. You never know they may still be living at that address. Have you looked for a death for Ellen's husband please? Again the informant's details could be useful if he died after Ellen.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Aug 2016 11:59

I suspect Rhoda (and possibly Jackie too) went abroad. There's no sign of a marriage for either of them, nor a death.

No sign of Rhoda (if unmarried) on searchelectoralroll or 192.com.
There are a few Jackie Greggs, but can't say if they're male or female.
Also one or two Jack Greggs - but no way of knowing if they're him or not.