Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Recent Death Certificate - Look up

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trudy

Trudy Report 24 Aug 2016 12:20

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to ask for help but here goes.

I was trying to trace my uncle , I have been unable to find a copy of his death certificate on line , I have contacted his ex employer who say that he is no longer withdrawing his pension. So I fear he as most likely died.

would anybody be able to look up recent death records at Kew -

These are the records for the birth index
Name: Stephen G Wilton
Mother: Cole
Birth: Sep qtr 1932 - Bethnal Green, Greater London

Maddie

Maddie Report 24 Aug 2016 12:24

a possible
Name: Mr Stephen Wilton
Birth Date: 1932
Death Date: 2 Dec 2008
Residence Place at Death: Folkestone, Kent, England
Postal Code District: CT20

malyon

malyon Report 24 Aug 2016 13:07

that must be him only one birth 1932 with that name

there are two marriges

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Aug 2016 14:32

You could order a copy of the DC from GRO. When it asks if you have the gro ref, tick NO.

Can't spot the marriages (on FMP) that malyon refers to and there are no entries on the ER in Kent , even to 2008.
The Estate of the person who died in 2008 hasn't gone to Probate as per
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

There are 2 phone book entries under the Wilton name in Ramsgate - see http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 25 Aug 2016 11:05

Welcome to the Community boards Trudy.

(I'll let Trudy know how to find her replies) :-)

malyon

malyon Report 25 Aug 2016 12:43

there was a Stephen g wilton in Essex 2003 on electrol list

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Aug 2016 16:01

Death records aren't held at Kew

Bmds are at the GRO at southport . Plus will be a the local office to where the event took place .

Trudy

Trudy Report 27 Aug 2016 19:24

Thank you to everyone who took the time and trouble to reply .

I will order the death cert for Stephen Wilton in Folkestone, but this is a long way from his last know address in East London , however he had learning difficulties and I wonder if maybe he was in a nursing home.- I doubt very much he would have left a will

I did not know the gro records had move to Southport , do they hold up to date records.

its all very sad and a bit late in the day , I had hope to find him alive, but I would at least like to visit his grave , if there is a way to find it.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Aug 2016 19:52

He may not have left a Will, but his Estate could have gone to Administration. Those also appear on the Probate Calendar.

Malyon did say that there was a Stephen g wilton in Essex 2003 on electrol list. You could write to the address and the nearest neighbours to see if they know anything about 'your' Stephen.

If you think he may have died in Essex, try contacting the local registry office. They would search the registers for slightly over the GRO fee.

We normally suggest buying certs online from GRO as its so easy and the cheapest way to do so.
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
There is a time lag between death and reg nos appearing on the GRO index - it's been suggested anything up to 18 months.

Copies of the most recently published index are distributed around the country - google to find the closest venue to you or see https://www.gov.uk/research-family-history

Trudy

Trudy Report 27 Aug 2016 20:48

Having thought about all the information, I think he must be the Stephen Wilton who died in Folkestone Kent aged 76 in 2008 as this corresponds to his birth year. and there are no other Stephen Wilton (according to free bmd ) born in the 1930s - I will contact either the GRO or local Reg office.

I have written to the local cremation to see if they have any records of his funeral etc.

my sincere thanks to everybody for your help.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Aug 2016 23:38

If he died in Folkestone area there are 3 cremation places possible to serve this area.

Hawkinge,the most likely, but also Barham and Charing could all be possible.

Trudy

Trudy Report 5 Sep 2016 18:22

I just thought id let everyone know that I have found my uncles resting place at Hawkinge in Folkestone.

Unfortunately he died in hospital and they could not locate his next of kin and so the hospital arranged for his funeral service and as such there is no memorial.

thanks to your help I am now able to pay to have his name recorded in the book of remembrance and will be able to visit his last resting place.

sincere thanks to all

Trudy

Trudy Report 5 Sep 2016 18:22

I just thought id let everyone know that I have found my uncles resting place at Hawkinge in Folkestone.

Unfortunately he died in hospital and they could not locate his next of kin and so the hospital arranged for his funeral service and as such there is no memorial.

thanks to your help I am now able to pay to have his name recorded in the book of remembrance and will be able to visit his last resting place.

sincere thanks to all

malyon

malyon Report 5 Sep 2016 19:33

thank you for letting us know

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Sep 2016 20:07

How sad, but at least he is now 'claimed and remembered'.