Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Carl Bertram - Moscow 1910

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ru

Ru Report 8 Sep 2016 04:20

I am needing some help to trace the above person/family who was the best man at my grandmother's wedding in Moscow in 1907.

Carl Bertram was a secretary of Moscow football league in 1910, keen football player and later a secretary of football club "Union".

Football started in Moscow in 1895 and was mainly played by Englishmen. There was a British Sports club created in Moscow in early 1900s.

Unfortunately I cannot tell you where Carl Bertram was born/if married or died as the information on him is 'cold'. He would have been born around 1886/88 - I just do not know, but he was a young man. Wonder what he was doing in Moscow at that time.

I do not have Ancestry membership, but having looked I note that the Bertram family are also connected to European families with the same name.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Peahen

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 8 Sep 2016 08:00

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Association_football_in_the_Russian_Empire

(google search brings above (Photo) as Karl)

Chris :)

Ru

Ru Report 8 Sep 2016 08:36

Hello Chris Ho,

Thank you so much for that. I have it and my great uncle is in the 1912 Olympic Russian Football team - photo there also. However, I am wondering what else Karl (Carl) was doing in Russia, Moscow at that time.

He was best man at my grandmother's wedding, but cannot find anything else about him, which is strange.

many thanks, Peahen

Gee

Gee Report 8 Sep 2016 09:17

If he was best man at your grandmothers wedding, the details (date, place, names) of that wedding, might at least help to knowing where he is at that specific time

Added: Sorry, reread the opening post and see you already gave that info!

Was your grandmother and husband from Moscow or other?

Ru

Ru Report 8 Sep 2016 09:55

Thanks Gins,
Yes, Grandmother born Odessa living Moscow married 1907 Moscow Three Saints Church. We are having trouble finding what her husband did and no mention of this prominent person anywhere so thought we would try Bertram who was Best Man and who we thought may give us a clue. As they were obviously friends they may have been in the same line of work.

By the way - they were young - Grandmother's husband was English born but died young. I have spent time and money trying to trace him with some success, but no what he was doing there in Moscow; not sure if he was involved in the football or not. So this is the avenue I am trying now.

Many thanks.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 8 Sep 2016 10:01

Are there no Archives (or similar!) that would perhaps have reference to 'Union' Football Club?...

Chris :)

Ru

Ru Report 8 Sep 2016 10:08

The wedding took place at Three Saints Church, Moscow - August 1907 and their twins were born 1908. Sadly the daughter only survived three and a half years and is mentioned as being buried Krasnoe Selo Church, Moscow. These were not easy times for Russia.

I have the wedding certificate on its way from Russian Archives, but information states who was best man and a few dtails about him, but we cannot find anything more about Karl Bertram which is so strange.

Any snippet of information I would welcome as I have searched and searched.

Many thanks.
Peahen

Ru

Ru Report 8 Sep 2016 12:04

Just to say thanks to all who have answered so far.

Just off to bed now will look in in the morning.

Peahen

Ru

Ru Report 9 Sep 2016 03:04

Sorry Chris,

I missed your question. Believe it or not, I have written to everyone and anyone associated with Russian Football and even the Russian Olympic Committee. That was in 2014 as my grand uncle played for the Russian football team in the 1912 Olympics and I needed more information on him.

I now have what anyone has on him; also Military Archives Russia have supplied information relating to the family, but not the Russian Football Federation or Olympic Committee have replied to my two letters and a third a year later.

I am now wondering if Karl (Carl Bertram) was born to a family in The Baltic states - Riga, or Estonia, Lithuania. I have tried looking and asking people on My Heritage who have a Carl Bertram in their tree, but no response. Could be language or lapse of membership on their part, but still hoping for a connection.

Thanks so much so far for what you attached. This is a wider variety of photographs from the Russian Football - thanks so much.

Peahen