Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who were Thos Best/Eliz. Andrew, married 30/1/1808

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wayne Kenneth

Wayne Kenneth Report 11 Sep 2016 13:53

I’m astounded at the abilities of contributors in breaking through barriers in Family trees.. as in my most recent thread where members broke through my Jones impasse to reveal the Johns family, Ann Rogers Johns, first wife of my 2 times great Grandfather Thomas Best, 1819 Port Holland in St. Michael Carhayes – 1878 Creswick north, Victoria... Johns requires further work on my behalf as GGGrandfathers brother (likely) James Best married, in 1837, a Mary Ann Johns of St. Michael Carhayes, daughter of James.. leaping forward into rural Victoria (in Oz) in the 1940’s, a male cousin married a Johns whose descent leads straight back to St Germans of the 1840’s but that is all for another time as ultimately the Best / Johns union is a dead limb in my tree as there was no issue of it. In that last Johns thread though, contributors to it discovered the marriage of Thomas Best & Elizabeth Andrews, on the 30th of January 1808 at St Michael Caerhays... That was Very Much of interest, they being my 3 times Great Grandparents though again I am stalled & have not been able to confirm their parentage, birth etc.. Any insights would again be Most Appreciated. As a footnote. I did say that the Johns branch was a dead end with no issue.. well not quite. Thomas Best ( junior, of 1819) after the passing of his wife Ann Rogers Johns in 1865 remarried, to Grace Lavers, in 1866, it is of this union that I descend. The Johns element ? Grace’s father was William Johns Lavars, baptised 20 Sept 1812 at St Buryan and is thought to be named for his father Mark Lavars wife Jane, presumably Jane Johns but not confirmed.. Cripes, as I’ve found in other family branches, these Cornish families stick together !

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Sep 2016 14:11

Try Family Search site That's where we would look

:-)

Wayne Kenneth

Wayne Kenneth Report 11 Sep 2016 14:45

Yes Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it .. I keep going back to Family Search and trying different combinations.. Elizabeth Andrew appears seemingly by the score though I don't see anything that ties her to St Michael Caerhays though I'm still map checking to see if any of the listed locations are close.. like St Austell. Thomas Best..I'm back looking at all the Family Search results for him.. pretty common name.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 11 Sep 2016 16:24

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1362044

(am just adding above, for original 'Thread', also reference)

Chris :)

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/

Find My Past

(above useful for Cornwall Parish Records, below covers some)

http://www.freereg.org.uk/

(and, as always, worth a google search, as well, names, places, etc.)

Of course, not to mention a check in 'Search All Member Trees' (top right of page here, under 'Search') to see if any other Genes Members are sharing names!.

Edits (you can contact Online Parish Clerk for St Michael Caerhays, on below link)

http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/l_m/michael_caerhays_st.php

(For Coverage of Parishes, Cornwall, see below link)

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/coverage/coverage-by-parish/

(oh, and Mark Lavars, appears as Martin!, don't forget to tick 'Include Similar Surnames' Box!)

(also for Thomas/Elizabeth Best)
1813 Michael Caerhays, St. James BEST Thomas Elizabeth
1815 Michael Caerhays, St. Hannah BEST Thomas Elizabeth
1817 Michael Caerhays, St. John BEST Thomas Elizabeth
1819 Michael Caerhays, St. Thomas BEST Thomas Elizabeth
1822 Michael Caerhays, St. Jane BEST Thomas Elizabeth

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Sep 2016 18:10

Welcome to the parish church of Caerhays: St Michael in the Anglican Diocese of Truro and county of Cornwall England. The Priest in Charge, Revd Dr. Christopher Newell Tel no. 01726 844195 Reader Mr Peter Simmons Tel No. 01726 843692

The two Churchwardens are as follows:- Mr. Mike Squance, Tel No. 01726 843363 and Miss A.B.Mayes Tel.no. 01872 501774

Wayne Kenneth

Wayne Kenneth Report 12 Sep 2016 08:43

Hi Chris Ho.. your reminder to look at name alt's, Mark Lavars as Martin, greatly appreciated.. I'm starting to get the hang of Cornwall - opc.. Thank goodness it's been a rainy day as I've lost hours today ( fun though), burrowing around in there.. great stuff !

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Sep 2016 09:31

(and confusing to say the least, when you're not familiar with County, me neither, lol)

Have fun, and you can always contact OPC's, a very useful website that!.

Chris :)