Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rostherne -St Mary, Cheshire 1690

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

margaret

margaret Report 14 Sep 2016 21:15

Have a baptism for Bridget Massey, 5 jan 1690 dtg of Richard Massey of Denfield Hall.

First child it would seem, cannot find a 'suitable marriage' for this parent.

Richard would be 25 at this point, several other children followed. And able to trace. nothing further on her. Or his marriage.
Possibly connected to Liverpool in some way.

Any suggestions please. no will left.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Sep 2016 23:05

????????

Name Richard Massey
Gender Male
Christening Date 02 Feb 1666
Christening Place FRODSHAM,CHESHIRE,ENGLAND
Father's Name Rich.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Sep 2016 23:07

Richard Massey of Denfield, KT

Birthdate: before 1245
Death: Died 1305 in Rostherne, Cheshire East, England, United Kingdom

Immediate Family:

Son of Sir William Massey de Tatton, KT and Margery de Rosthorne
Husband of Isabel Massey
Father of Sir Richard Massey, KT and Sir William Massey of Denfield and Moss, Chesire
Brother of Robert de Rosthorne de Massy and Thomas de Massey of Puddington

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Sep 2016 23:14

Parish records from that long ago could well not have survived, or they're so badly damaged as to be illegable. You're very lucky to have got that far back as it is.

Might this be a clue or where you already aware of it? Not that it tells you who Richard married.

http://newsfeed.rootsweb.com/th/read/MASSEY/2011-02/1297176505
Looking for information on the decendents of George Massey
1663-1666.of Denfield Hall-- married Bridget Pershall of Staffs. Gd of John Persahll of Staffs.
Seems to have had 5 sons=
William c 1650, George 1652, Thomas 1656, Charles 1661 & Richard c 1665.
Last two sons baptised Rostherne

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Sep 2016 23:17

Charles Massey, of Denfield (George, of Denfield, co. Chester25, William, of Denfield and Moss, co. Chester23, Richard, of Denfield, Sheriff of Cheshire (Sir)19, William (Sir)15, William, of Tatton13, Robert, of Sale9, Robert de7, Hamon de, 1st Baron de Dunham2, William (Viscount)1) was christened on 4 May 1661.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Sep 2016 04:24

A Public Family tree on ancestry suggests that Richard's spouse was an Ann? Shaw

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 15 Sep 2016 07:14

Find My Past has a lot of Cheshire.

(looking at that Baptism Image, was 1689)

Chris :)

(reference, mentioned above)

Diocese of Chester parish registers of marriages c1538-1910 Transcription (Find My Past)

First name(s) Richard
Last name Masy
Marriage year 1686
Marriage date 02 May 1686
Marriage place Little Budworth
Spouse's first name(s) Anne
Spouse's last name Shaw
City or town Little Budworth
County Cheshire
Reference item 3

margaret

margaret Report 15 Sep 2016 07:26

Thank you all for your contributions.

I usually take BMD for Cheshire from the free Liverpool University Parish register site. BUT, not all parishes have been indexed yet.

I looked at the Ann Shaw marriage, but this would be 5 years before the birth of of Bridget their first child..so seemed a long gap. And no further details.

Richard Massey
(born 1665 in Rostherne, 5th son of George Massey of Denfield Hall and Audlem)).

You are right many parishes registers are incomplete or unreadable!

Chris Ho :) Report 15 Sep 2016 07:54

http://cgi.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

(for reference to Liverpool University Parish Registers above, can you see actual images there?, not familiar with that one)

margaret

margaret Report 15 Sep 2016 08:18

That is the site. But no images shown , some notes and comments , also occupation or locality details if shown.

Some hamlets using local chapels given as addition to main parish register info.

Unfortunately only 75% complete in coverage. Usually very accurate in transcription .

Chris Ho :) Report 15 Sep 2016 08:26

Well the Baptism was 1689, not 1690, as I mentioned earlier, from looking at image on Find My Past.

margaret

margaret Report 15 Sep 2016 12:43

I think the religous year at this time was different to the calendar year. Something to do with Julian and Gregory calendars, but I could be wrong

margaret

margaret Report 15 Sep 2016 12:43

I think the religous year at this time was different to the calendar year. Something to do with Julian and Gregory calendars, but I could be wrong

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Sep 2016 21:02

If the marriage was 1686, and Bridget was born 1689, as Chris said, then that is only 3 years

One question could be ............. how old was Anne when that marriage took place?

If she was, say, 12 as was legally allowed, they might not have consummated the marriage immediately.

Richard might have been away from home ............ there were all kinds of reasons for that occurring

Bridget might not be the eldest child ............... there might have been one that you have not found, a death, still born or miscarriages.

In other words .............. do not dismiss a marriage simply because you think it doesn't fit into the time table that you think it should.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Sep 2016 21:17

This is the transcript for Bridget's baptism from Find My Past. You can look at the actual image, and it is dated 1689

Diocese of Chester parish registers of baptisms c1538-1910

First name(s) Bridget
Last name Massey
Gender Female
Birth year 1689
Baptism year 1689
Baptism date 05 Jan 1689
Place Rostherne
County Cheshire
Country England
Father's first name(s) Richaed
Father's last name Massey
Record set Cheshire Diocese of Chester parish baptisms 1538-1911
Category Life Events (BDMs)
Subcategory Births & baptisms
Collections from United Kingdom

The United Kingdom changed from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar in 1752 and 11 days were removed from the year. That is over 60 years after Bridget's baptism

It would have had no effect on the date of Bridget's birth / baptism year ............... except to make it seem to occur in 1688 if you wished to make it seem to have an effect.

safc

safc Report 15 Sep 2016 22:20

you could try cheshire records office they might do look ups for you

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/chs/churches/rostherne.html

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Sep 2016 03:48

The marriage between Richard Massey and Anne Shaw took place in Little Budworth.

If my memory of living in that area for 2½ years serves me correctly, Little Budworth and Great Budworth are pretty close to each other

Therefore, I wonder if this baptism COULD be for that Anne Shaw?????

Diocese of Chester parish registers of baptisms c1538-1910

First name(s) Anne
Last name Shaw
Gender Female
Birth year 1567
Baptism year 1567
Baptism date 30 Jul 1567
Place Great Budworth
County Cheshire
Country England
Record set Cheshire Diocese of Chester parish baptisms 1538-1911
Category Life Events (BDMs)
Subcategory Births & baptisms
Collections from United Kingdom

The image is available but it shows no more than her name and the date.

Just checked ............... Little Budworth and Great Budworth are about 14 miles apart, and Rostherne is about 8 miles further north from Great Budworth.

Chris Ho :) Report 16 Sep 2016 06:24

Surely there must be Records relating to this family at Cheshire Archives?, or even National Archives, items come up on google search, Rostherne, Knutsford, Denfield Hall etc.

Would think also, that variants of that surname would also feature, you seem to have got a long way back, from various 'Threads', one below.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1360830

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/1778b0e2-0de6-4735-9885-4751c42dbbc6

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/ea59986a-bced-43cb-a239-24501d35a724

(items above, if relating)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

(click arrow, search box top right, to 'Search our records')

Items also come up relating Leigh to the Richard one of Sale.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/9ca3ed5d-ac3c-4296-89d7-dff6198cd1a2

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/15cb994f-2c0a-480d-9c32-7b84f5b87db2

(his Marriage)

margaret

margaret Report 16 Sep 2016 08:26

Thank you all.

The problem with this family is that there are hundreds of their name within a small radius of the north west!
I think actually the area Cheshire/Lancs, is where the name originated.
As has been said there are numerous ways of it being reported. There were/? are on FSO over a thousand spelled Massie, so you always have to sort on a wild card.
And they , like many families use the same first names over and over, all I guess in some way related, so the generations get mixed in time.

In the will of William Massey dated 1692 , William mentions his fathers (George) brother as being William Massie of Sale. I had always though this was a completely different branch since the have their own armorial. As do the Timperley lot...
There is a strong indication that he was trading in Liverpool too at this time, and had a house there in Atherton Street..

I suppose if you go back a hundred years they are all related. Right now i am trying to flesh out the generation of William and his five brothers. (plus 4 sisters)

1. William, 1649-1692 - children died before him.
2. George 1652- 1718
3. Thomas 1656-1681
4. Charles 1661-1733
5. Richard 1665-1747 plus his 6 children...

The Anne Shaw mentioned born 1567 would have been too old, for Bridgets birth in 1689, but does indicate a family name in that area.

Just a question of sifting i suppose, though as has been said some PR records are missing. I have been looking through the published books and directories on line.wills and mortgages etc. to glean a few facts.

Thanks for your interest, and suggestions..