Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bodenham/Franks/Connolly

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annette

Annette Report 17 Sep 2016 22:32

is there anyone in Australia that can help i have come to a dead end. researching my 4 x g/grandfather Francis Bodenham who died in Liverpool Sydney aged 69? in 1858. (Convict)

When he was transported to Hobart in abt 1817. he m another convict Sarah Franks in 1819, she had been also transported from England, (nothing known of her parents but a brother Samuel was mentioned in The Old Baily Court transcript.
Sarah records show she was 22. But trial record states 25 in 1817!
I have not found any details of Sarah Franks after 1829, she had been given 'a ticket of Exemption' assigned to Francis& last known Sydney.

A suspicious 7 yr stretch follows before Francis Bod m. Catherine Conolly(connolly?) in Bathhurst on 20/9/1848. Both abodes were given as Bathhurst. Nothing known of Catherine or parentage.

Be grateful if someone is researching Sarah Franks or Catherine Conolly and can help me
:-(

safc

safc Report 17 Sep 2016 22:37

Australia, Marriages, 1788-1935 Transcription

Learn more
Print transcription
First name(s) Francis
Last name Bodenham
Birth year 1790
Residence Tasmania, Australia
Marriage year 1819
Marriage date 22 Mar 1819
Spouse's first name(s) Sarah
Spouse's last name Franks
Marriage place Hobart Town, Tasmania, Australia
Town -
County -
State Tasmania
Country Australia
Groom's age 29
Groom's birth date 1790
Bride's age 22
Bride's birth date 1797
Record set Australia, Marriages, 1810-1980
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Marriages & divorces
Collections from Australasia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Sep 2016 00:41

Annette .............

if you wish to contact someone who has these names in their tree, you yourself have to do the search of member trees. The vast majority of members do not look on these Boards so the chance of someone just passing by is vey low.

What you do get on here is members helping other members by finding records that might refer to your families.

To search member trees ..............

Go to Search at the top right

Click on Search All Member Trees

Enter one of the names

If that name is in any tree, it will show in a listing.

You then send an internal message (private message or pm) to each member contact.

Please do not use the automated "Open Your Tree", most of us do not respond to those. Provide a brief account of why you think you may be connected, and ask if they agree.

Be prepared to wait, or not to get any response at all ....... members may have died, become incapacitated, lost interest, or not notified GR of a change in home email address. GR does not delete any trees, only the member can do that.

Some members may also rep[y after several years!

You can keep a check on messages you have sent ....................

Go to Messages at the top

Click on Sent Messages

If there is a green envelope to the left of the contact's name, then the message has not been opened.

If there is no envelope showing, the message has been opened.

Good luck

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Sep 2016 01:00

so this is Sarah Franks???

New South Wales and Tasmania: Settlers and Convicts 1787-1859

First name(s) Sarah
Last name Franks
Birth year -
Arrival year 1818
Ship name Maria
Where convicted Old Bailey
When convicted 1817
Sentence Life
Residence In The Colony
State New South Wales
Country Australia
Record set New South Wales and Tasmania: Settlers and Convicts 1787-1859
Category Travel & migration
Subcategory Transportation
Collections from Australia & New Zealand

Australia Convict Ships 1786-1849

First name(s) Sarah
Last name Franks
Occupation Servant
Age 26
Birth year 1791
Conviction year 1817
Place convicted Middlesex
County convicted Middlesex
Country convicted England
Sentence Life
Arrival year -
Ship name Maria (1)
Series Indents 1788-1842 (NRS 12188)
Reel 394
Archive State Records Authority of New South Wales
Record set Australia Convict Ships 1786-1849

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Sep 2016 01:14

and out of interest only, as you say you have this, the court case ............

HENRY ELLIS, EDWARD BOWEN, SARAH FRANKS, SARAH PINNION, Theft > burglary, 3rd December 1817.

Reference Number: t18171203-18
Offence: Theft > burglary
Verdict: Not Guilty; Not Guilty; Guilty > lesser offence
Punishment: Death; Death
Navigation:
See original Click to see original

17. HENRY ELLIS , EDWARD BOWEN , SARAH FRANKS , and SARAH PINNION were indicted for burglariously breaking and entering the dwelling-house of Mary Nelham , widow , about seven in the night of the 9th of November , in the parish of St. Dunstan, Stepney, with intent to steal, and burglariously stealing therein, one bible, value 12s.; one looking-glass, value 2l.; one carpet, value 1l.; one pair of shoes, value 6s.; one petticoat, value 2s.; one sheet, value 5s.; two pillow cases, value 1s.; one table-cloth, value 4s.; four handkerchiefs, value 10s.; two shifts, value 7s.; two shawls, value 6s.; one coat, value 2l.; one pair of trowsers, value 1l.; and one waistcoat, value 10s. , her property.

MARY NELHAM. I am a widow, and rent a house at Stepney . On Sunday, the 9th of November, a little before six o'clock in the evening, I went out to chapel, it was not quite dark. I returned at eight o'clock, and found the front and back doors open, and a chair against the back-wall in the yard. Bowen lives opposite to me, and Pinnion next door; I saw them walking about by the door before I went out. I missed the articles stated in the indictment out of different rooms. I have found most of them. I locked my doors when I went out, and had the keys in my pocket-there were no locks broken - I do not know how they got in.

JOHN BROWN. I am an officer. I searched the prisoners and found seven duplicates on Ellis, one of which
referred to Annis, one to Matthews, three to Price, one to Flemming, and one to Stevenson, and the leaf of a bible with Mrs. Nelham's name on it - He said he found them. I found a cloth in Pinnion's lap. The prosecutrix gave me a flint and steel which had been left behind.

JOSEPH TEBBS. I am apprentice to Mr. Stevenson, who is a pawnbroker, and lives in Whitechapel-road. The prisoner, Franks, pledged two tea-spoons with me on the 10th of November, about the middle of the day, for 4s., in the name of Ann Smith ,. I saw her in custody the next day, and am sure it was her-one of the duplicates is ours'.

THOMAS BENNET . I live with Mr. Matthews, pawnbroker, in the Minories. On the 10th of November, about the middle of the day, the prisoner, Franks, pledged three gowns, an apron, a pocket, a table-cloth, and a pillow-case with me for 10s., in the name of Sarah Smith -one of the duplicates produced is that which I gave her.

THOMAS ANNIS PARSONS. I am servant to Mr. Annis, pawnbroker, Sparrow-corner, Minories. On the 10th of November, the prisoner, Franks, pledged a bible and shawl with me for 5s., in the name of Sarah Smith, about two o'clock. One of the duplilcated produced is the one I gave her.

WILLIAM BELCHER . I am servant to Mr. Price, pawnbroker, Wentworth-street, Whitechapel. On the 10th of November the prisoner, Franks, pledged a carpet and glass with me, between twelve and one o'clock. Soon after, on the same day, Ellis came and pledged a sheet, two shifts, and two bed-gowns, in the name of Henry Smith, Rose-lane, for 7s. Two of the duplicates produced are those which I gave him.

GEORGE PARTRIDGE. I assisted in apprehending the prisoners. Brown has spoken correctly.

(Property produced and sworn to.)

MRS. NELHAM. My things are worth 20l. There appeared to be the marks of two persons feet about the house.

FRANKS'S Defence. I was asked to pledge them.

The other prisoners made no defence.

ELLIS - GUILTY. - DEATH . Aged 19.

BOWEN- NOT GUILTY .

FRANKS - GUILTY - DEATH . Aged 25.

PINNION- NOT GUILTY .

Of stealing in the dwelling-house, but not of the burglary .

Second Middlesex Jury, before Mr. Justice Bayley.

-----

and i presume this is the Samuel Franks who you think is Sarah's brother, charged in the next trial ..............

HENRY ELLIS, EDWARD BOWEN, SAMUEL FRANKS, SARAH PINNION, Theft > grand larceny, 3rd December 1817.

Reference Number: t18171203-125
Offence: Theft > grand larceny
Verdict: Guilty; Guilty; Not Guilty; Not Guilty
Punishment: Transportation
Navigation:

122. HENRY ELLIS , EDWARD BOWEN , SAMUEL FRANKS , and SARAH PINNION were indicted for stealing, on the 10th of November , one pair of pattens, value 1s., and one pair of upper-leathers, value 1s. , the goods of William Clarke .

WILLIAM CLARKE . I am a shoemaker , and live at Shadwell . On the 10th of November, about eight o'clock in the evening, the pattens hung in the shop, the four prisoners came in; Pinnion bought a pair of boots, which came to 7s., she paid for them and went out, I immediately missed the pattens and upper-leathers; I got the officer, and about eleven o'clock the next morning I saw them at the office. The prisoner, Ellis, stood with his back to the pattens, and Bowen was close to the leather.

JOHN BROWN. I am an officer. I found the prisoners at the Paviour's Arms, public-house, three doors from Mr. Clarke s house, and secured them. When I went into the tap-room they called out, "here is a ding," which is a signal to throw any thing away. Bowen threw the leathers down, and Franks the pattens. The others came to the office voluntarily, the next morning.

JAMES PARTRIDGE . I was with Brown, and saw Bowen put the upper-leathers under the seat.

(Property produced and sworn to.)

(See No. 17) ELLIS - GUILTY . Aged 19.

BOWEN - GUILTY . Aged 16.

Transported for Seven Years .

(See No. 17) FRANKS- NOT GUILTY .

PINNION- NOT GUILTY .

Second Middlesex Jury, before Mr. Recorder.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Sep 2016 01:25

Could the 1791 birth date shown in the Old Bailey records have been misread as 1797 when the convict transportation records were transcribed??

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Sep 2016 01:40

Is this your Francis Bodenham????

First name(s) Francis
Last name Bodenham
Occupation Engraver
Age 26
Birth year 1789
Conviction year 1815
Place convicted Middlesex
County convicted Middlesex
Sentence 7 Years
Arrival year -
Ship name Sir William Bensley
Reel 393

from image:-

Native Place:- Herefordshire
Height:- 5'6"
Complexion:- Ruddy
Hair:- Light
Eyes:- Grey

New South Wales and Tasmania: Settlers and Convicts 1787-1859

First name(s) Francis
Last name Bodenham
Birth year -
Arrival year 1817
Ship name Sir William Bensley
Where convicted London
When convicted 1814
Sentence 7 years
Occupation Government Employ
Residence In the Colony
State New South Wales
Country Australia
Record set New South Wales and Tasmania: Settlers and Convicts 1787-1859

Tried:- London November 1814

Convict Transportation Registers 1787-1870 T

First name(s) Francis
Last name Bodenham
Birth year -
Arrival year 1816
Ship name Sir Wm Bensley
Where convicted Middlesex
When convicted 1815
Sentence 7 Years
Country Australia
Record type Records
Folio 150
Page 297
Record set Convict Transportation Registers 1787-1870

Delivered for Transportation: from Middlesex Gaol, 11 January 1814

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Sep 2016 01:41

he committed bigamy :-(

FRANCIS BODENHAM, Sexual Offences > bigamy, 11th January 1815.

Reference Number: t18150111-91
Offence: Sexual Offences > bigamy
Verdict: Guilty
Punishment: Transportation
Navigation:

213. FRANCIS BODENHAM was indicted for that he, on the 18th of February, in the 52d year of his Majesty's reign, did take to wife one Amey Pattey , and to her was married; that he afterwards, on the 5th of June, in the 53rd year of his Majesty's reign, did marry one Eliza Keattch , his former wife being then alive .

HENRY PEARSON . I am the parish clerk of Kingston upon-thames. I produce the register of marriages.

"18th February, 1812, Francis Bodenham. of this parish, and Amey Pattey, of this parish, were married by me, John Kendall , curate." I saw the parties sign this register, Francis Bodenham . I believe the prisoner is the man. I cannot positively say he is.

AMEY PATTEY. I live at Mortlake, my daughtor's name is Amey. On the 18th of February, 1812, my daughter was married to the prisoner; in about a month after she was married, she came home and brought her husband with her. They lived in my house as man and wife together. My daughter was alive on the first of June; this is her second child by the prisoner. He left my daughter.

JOHN VINCENT . I am parish clerk of Heston, in Middlesex. I produce the register of marriages.

"5th of June, 1813 . Francis Bodenham and Eliza Keattch, both of this parish were married by banns by H. S. Trimmer, vicar, Francis Bodenham and Eliza Keattch." I think the prisoner is the man.

ELIZA KEATTCH . I lived with Mr. Lewis four months; the prisoner came courting to me; he said he was a single man; he had been married, but his wife died in child-birth. I was married to the prisoner on the 4th of June, 1813, at Heston, in Middlesex.

GUILTY , aged 24.

Transported for Seven Years .

First Middlesex jury, before Mr. Common Serjeant.

Annette

Annette Report 18 Sep 2016 01:43

Wow those details are great!! Not sure abt that birth date of 1797 for Sarah. Have been trying to find parents & siblings in Middlesex, which i presume she came from.
plenty of Sarahs b circa 1790-1792.
Well brother Sam was a ratbag as well lol! interesting ancestors i have. :) :-)

Annette

Annette Report 18 Sep 2016 01:51

Yes thats Francis, colourful character! Seems to be well known on the internet. :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Sep 2016 03:41

I think it could be easy to mis-read "1" and think it is "7" ............. especially when you think that many transcriptions have been done under contract by people in other countries (eg, India), who might not be able to easily read copper plate script :-)

I would be tending to go with the 1791 date from the Old Bailey, if I were looking for her birth.

I did note another trial at the Old Bailey which involved someone with the surname Franks .............. so wonder if there was a whole family of miscreants, or of they are in fact not related.

Let me see if I can find the other Franks again

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Sep 2016 03:47

This was the one I spotted .............

STEPHEN BROOK, JAMES FRANKS, Theft > burglary, 4th December 1816.

Reference Number: t18161204-75
Offence: Theft > burglary
Verdict: Guilty; Guilty
Punishment: Death; Death
Navigation:

79. STEPHEN BROOK , and JAMES FRANKS , were indicted for burglariously breaking and entering the dwelling-house of Eliza Robertson , about twelve o'clock, on the night of the 4th of November , with intent to steal, and stealing therein, eight tea-spoons, value 18s.; two salt-spoons, value 4s.; one pair of sugar-tongs, value 6s.; two pair of stockings, value 4s.; one pair of boots, value 1s.; one pelisse, value 1l.; one pillow-case, value 1s.; one pint of brandy; value 3s.; one quart of gin, value 2s.; one quart of peppermint, value 2s.; three decanters, value 6s.; one quart of rum, value 3s.; three bottles, value 6d.; and fifteen shillings in copper , goods and monies of the said Eliza Robertson .

ELIZA ROBERTSON. I am a widow . I live in Whitechapel-road ; I keep the Duke of Cumberland public-house . My house was broken open on the 5th of November; a hole was made through a nine-inch wall into the bar. I lost the articles mentioned in the indictment. I have seen some of them since; the pelisse is well worth 1l.

HENRY JACOBS . I produce a pair of sugar tongs, one pair of salt-spoons, and two odd spoons.

EBENEZER DALTON . I produce a pair of child's boots.

ELIZA ROBERTSON . They are all mine.

HENRY JACOBS . I am a clothes-salesman, and live in Rosemary-lane. The two prisoners came to my shop between one and two o'clock in the day, on the 5th of November, and offered the silver articles for sale. Brook was the man that offered them. I asked him where he got them; he said he had brought them from abroad. I told him I did not think that they were his. He said they are mine, if you will not buy them, give them back to me. I refused, and he told me to send for an officer. He could not have gone away without jumping over the door; I do not think he attempted it. I went for the officer, and left them in charge of my wife and man. The articles are worth thirty shillings.

ELIZA ROBERTSON re-examined. When did you perceive the hole in the wall - A. After six in the morning of the 5th; it was neither dark nor light. Lucy Cason was up before me. When I went to bed the wainscoat was quite secure. The next morning it was broken down with the wall. I had seen the things after twelve o'clock at night.

LUCY CASON . I live with Mrs. Robertson. I got up after six o'clock in the morning; it was not light; the day had began to break. I was going to open the street door, and saw the hole in the wall.

EBENEZE DALTON. I am a police officer. I searched the prisoners, and found the boots, one shilling and two-pence three-farthings, in farthings, and ten-pence halfpenny, in penny-pieces and halfpence, and two children's thimbles on Brooks; and on Franks I found one shilling and sixpence, in halfpence, and four-pence halfpenny, in farthings and penny-pieces. Brooks said, that he bought the boots in Petticoat-lane, for his little brother, and gave sixpence for them. Franks said, he found his things at the back
of the hospital in Whitechapel-road. I found a chisel in the bar of the house.

Court to MRS. ROBERTSON. Did you lose any thimbles - A. I cannot say; my children have thimbles.

Q. Had you as much as two shillings in farthings - A. I had.

Brooks Defence. On the 5th of November I was coming from Stepney, and fell in with this boy. We were talking together, and he blacked my face in the fields. I had a stick in my hand, and I pushed it into the ground to get up a turf to heave at him, and I rose the spoons up. They were buried in the ground. I went to Petticoat-lane, and bought the boots; they gave me the farthings in change. As I was going down Rosemary-lane I saw a boy, who asked me if I had any thing to sell; I gave him the spoons, and they sent for an officer.

BROOKS - GUILTY . - DEATH . Aged 15.

FRANKS - GUILTY . - DEATH . Aged 16.

First Middlesex Jury, before Mr. Baron Richards .

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Sep 2016 03:52

??????????

from FindMyPast (as are most of the travel documents)

Australia, Marriages, 1788-1935

First name(s) Patrick
Last name Moran
Birth year -
Residence New South Wales, Australia
Marriage year 1828
Marriage date 11 Aug 1828
Spouse's first name(s) Sarah
Spouse's last name Bodenham
Marriage place St. Philips, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Town -
County -
State New South Wales
Country Australia
Record set Australia, Marriages, 1810-1980
Category Life Events (BDMs)
Subcategory Marriages & divorces

New South Wales Government Gazettes 1832-1863

First name(s) Sarah
Last name Bodenham
Year 1833
Date 07 Oct 1833
Entry Convict Indulgences
Place Sydney
State New South Wales
Country Australia
Record set New South Wales Government Gazette Indexes 1832-1863
Category Directories & Social History
Subcategory Government

New South Wales Government Gazettes 1832-1863

First name(s) Sarah
Last name Bodenham
Year 1833
Date 05 Nov 1833
Entry Convict Indulgences
Place Sydney
State New South Wales
Country Australia
Record set New South Wales Government Gazette Indexes 1832-1863
Category Directories & Social History
Subcategory Government

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Sep 2016 03:56

I found this transcription for Francis

Document

Bodenham
Franc*

New South Wales Government Gazettes
New South Wales, Australia

but when I looked at the document, it was a publication of Tickets of leaves Cancelled and of Certificates of Freedom Granted ................ I couldn't find Francis, but I did find Sarah

Certificate of Freedom granted during the week of 5th November 1833

Guildford Sarah Bodenham

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Sep 2016 04:07

OOOPS

Care is needed, as there was another Sarah Bodenham who arrived in Australia in 1827 ............. and this might be the one who married Patrick Moran, and who is shown in the NSW Gazettes in the 1830s.

Convict Arrivals in New South Wales 1788-1842

First name(s) Sarah
Last name Bodenham
Arrival date 27 September 1827
Ship name HARMONY
State New South Wales
Country Australia
Record set New South Wales convict arrivals
Subcategory Migration

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Sep 2016 04:16

Convict Transportation Registers 1787-1870

First name(s) Sarah
Last name Bodenham
Birth year -
Arrival year 1827
Ship name Harmony
Where convicted Worcester
When convicted 1826
Sentence 7 Years
Country Australia
Record type Records
Folio 91
Page 179
Record set Convict Transportation Registers 1787-1870

First name(s) Sarah
Last name Bodenham
Occupation Cook
Age 22
Birth year 1804
Conviction year 1826
Place convicted Worcester
County convicted Worcestershire
Sentence 7 Years
Arrival year -
Ship name Harmony
Reel 397

Reads and Writes
Protestant
Has 1 child
Origin:- Herefordshire
Offence:- Robbing Master
Convicted:- 16 October 1826, Worcester
Height:- 5' 1"
Complexion:- Fair
Hair:- Brown
Eyes:- Hazel

Annette

Annette Report 18 Sep 2016 05:21

oh my goodness like opening a box of chocolates!!
Dont think the Sarah Bodenham that came on the ship Harmony is my one.
Mine came on the Maria, 1818 to Hobart
they both received The cert of freedom in 1829, but she has disappeared from then on.
1825 Francis Bodenham was a goaler at Port Macquarie Sydney.
1828 Francis & wife still at above town.
The next ref to Francis Bodenham is in the general Return for convicts of 1837
Francis's age given as 45. still on the 'Phoenix' in Sydney harbour. Next he is a house keeper in Newcastle, ( 1837) no mention of Sarah.
1841- arrested stealing watches, Penrith Sydney- no mention of Sarah.
1948- m Catherine Conolly in Bathurst.
on the move , evading the law, i think haha!!!