Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Manchester picture Stewarts of Ardwick green

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pamela

Pamela Report 21 Sep 2016 08:57

Please can anyone help with finding a picture of Stewarts of Ardwick Green Manchester they made clothes and people could buy and pay weekly for them Thanks Pam

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Sep 2016 08:59

Have you tried googling for them

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Sep 2016 09:01

Some info on them

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anybody remember Stuarts of Ardwick? Their showroom was located on the corner of Stockport road and Brunswick St/Hyde road, opposite the Appollo cinema, later a theatre.
This was the place where I would be taken with my mother, usually at Whit week to get my new clothes.

We went to Stuarts because like a lot of other people my parents didn't have the cash to fork out money to dress myself and my three siblings in one go. Buying from Stuarts meant that for a few shillings per week my mother could dress us all in new outfits every year. The "Tallyman" would call to the house every week to collect the money. Whit week was the one time in the year when everything I wore would be brand new.

I couldn't wait to put on my new clothes and go around knocking on the doors of the neighbours, proudly proclaiming, "Do you like my new clothes"?. This was always rewarded with a few pennies and a few words of praise for looking really smart. My mother would usually say when I got home crowing about how much money I had collected. "I will mind some of that for you, because you will only spend it" "But MAM, that's the whole point of the exercise". I would protest, however this would usually fall on deaf ears, so I would beat a hasty retreat and wait for Grannelli's ice cream man to appear in his horse and cart, so that I could treat myself to the largest ice cream that he sold.

My ambition in life as an 8 year old was to get a job at Stuarts and learn to wrap parcels of clothes in the same way that the salesman could. I used to watch in admiration as the salesman would place our bundles of clothes onto a long table, and with a flourish deftly pull a large length of brown paper off a roll, spin it around, and with a couple of flicks of the wrist and a large ever present ball of string, present us with a perfectly wrapped parcel containing our treasured new clothes.

The thing is, we never knew that we were poor in those days, because evertbody else was in the same boat. We rarely complained, we just got on with it.

Read more: http://manmates.proboards.com/thread/814#ixzz4KsKdbh2t

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Sep 2016 09:05

Seems they were James Stewart and sons

This gentleman was a cutter there

http://manchesterhistory.net/LONGSIGHT/MEMORIES/jtodd.html

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 21 Sep 2016 09:49

Lots of ads in the papers for Machinists/ cutters wanted- the address is given as

James Stewart & Sons
3 Brunswick Street,
Ardwick Green,
Manchester

Dea

Dea Report 21 Sep 2016 10:36

I have found a picture of Stewarts in Ardwick Green which I hope I have managed to send to Pamela by pm.

Dea x

Pamela

Pamela Report 21 Sep 2016 11:07

Thank you to everyone I was able to find information on Google but not a photo Kind Regards Pam

Dea

Dea Report 21 Sep 2016 11:18

Apparently my attachment won't open for Pam ? So I 'hope' I have now added it to 'my keepsafes' so try clicking on the link below:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/40935460

Let me know if it works.......

Dea x

Pamela

Pamela Report 21 Sep 2016 11:58

Thanks I got the picture this time. Brilliant Kind Regards Pam