Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Alice and Robert Stewart

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PatW

PatW Report 1 Oct 2016 13:30

I would be grateful if someone would kindly look on the 1911 census and see where Alice Stewart born 1893 and sibling Robert born 1895 were residing. (They are sometimes listed as Stuart). They would be living in Preston Lancashire and should be with their grandparents due to a court order.
Many thanks. Pat

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Oct 2016 14:07

Will take a look

Do you have names for the grandparents ?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Oct 2016 14:11

Is this them?

1911 census

England Wales &Scotland Census Transcription
151 Barlow St Preston Lancashire, Preston, Lancashire, England

James Stewart Head Married Male Farm Labourer 40 1871 Preston Lancs Transcription
Lily Stewart Wife Married Female House Wife 35 1876 Manchester Lancs Transcription
Alice Stewart Daughter Single Female Domestic Servant 18 1893 Preston Lancs Transcription
Robert Stewart Son Single Male Bakers Assistant 15 1896 Preston Lancs Transcription
Sorothy Stewart Daughter Single Female School 6 1905 Preston Lancs Transcription
George Stewart Son Single Male - 4 1907 Preston Lancs Transcription
Mary Stewart Daughter Single Female - 2 1909 Preston Lancs
Thomas Stewart Son Single Male - 0 1911. Preston

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Oct 2016 14:15

Maybe they were with them in 1901 rather than 1911

1901 census
England Wales &Scotland Census Transcription
66, Great George Street, Preston, Lancashire, England

John Hull Head Married Male 65 1836 Builders Labourer Preston, Lancashire, England Transcription
Sarah Hull Wife Married Female 65 1836 - Preston, Lancashire, England Transcription
William Hull Son Single Male 27 1874 Builders Labourer Preston, Lancashire, England Transcription
Mary Hull Daughter Single Female 23 1878 Cotton Weaver Preston, Lancashire, England Transcription
Alice Stewart Relative - Female 8 1893 - Preston, Lancashire, England Transcription
Robert Stewart Relative - Female 5 1896 - Preston. Lancashire

PatW

PatW Report 1 Oct 2016 15:02

Yes these are the right people. Because Alice is 18 and Robert 15 they have moved in with their father and step mother. James and Lily are listed as married but they only lived together. Her name is actually Lily Lamb.
The grandparents of the children were John and Elizabeth Stewart. (Fathers side) and Richard and Elizabeth Fletcher (mothers side).
Many thanks for your help
Pat

PatW

PatW Report 1 Oct 2016 15:07

I know they have some attachment to the Hull family but I don't know why. I've looked at that but keep going round in circles.
Thanks for the help.
Pat

PatW

PatW Report 1 Oct 2016 16:06

Barnaby Hull born 1843c married into the Fletcher family July, 1865 by marrying Mary .Ann Fletcher born 1844c. The children .Alice and .Robert Stewart's grandparents were Fletchers.
Pat

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 1 Oct 2016 16:45

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1362394

(is that the Barnaby Hull on above, don't know if you have seen latest replies)

Chris :)

malyon

malyon Report 1 Oct 2016 16:54

could this be james marriage

James Stewart

England and Wales Marriage Registration Index

Name James Stewart
Event Type Marriage
Registration Quarter Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration Year 1892
Registration District Preston
County Lancashire
Event Place Preston, Lancashire, England
Volume 8E
Page 966
Line Number 341

James Stewart probably married one of the following people
Name Alice Ann Abbott
Name Nancy Fletcher
Name George Edward Green
Name George Hough

malyon

malyon Report 1 Oct 2016 17:46

could this be nancy in a institution

Nancy Stuart

England and Wales Census, 1911

Name Nancy Stuart
Event Type Census
Event Date 1911
County Lancashire
Parish Fulwood
Sub-District Broughton
Registration District Preston
Gender Female
Age 41
Birthplace Preston, Lancashire
Record Type Institution

PatW

PatW Report 1 Oct 2016 20:51

Nancy Fletcher married James Stewart in 1892. James was in the army and Nancy became an alcoholic and the courts took her children from her due to neglect and sent her to jail for 2 months hard labour. In the 1911 census Nancy is listed as in the workhouse at Preston but is listed under the name of Nancy Stuart.
Pat