Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Glasgow Electoral Registers look up.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 1 Oct 2016 14:24

I wonder if someone with Ancestry could look at the Glasgow Electoral Registers for George McCluskey b 1882.

I have him last on his mothers death certificate in 1940 showing his address as 13, Muir Street , Glasgow.

He was 1st married to Martha McManus in 1921 , she died in 1932.

2nd marriage to Mary Wylie/Sullivan in 1933.
Thank you

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Oct 2016 14:48

What year do you want to know about, Jean?

In 1939 there are a George and Mary McCluskey at 146 Jamieson Street, in the Cathcart area of Glasgow.

McCluskey is one of those names with multiple possibilities of spelling.

Jean

Jean Report 1 Oct 2016 15:02

Thanks for getting back to me ArgyllGran.
I am trying to find if he had any children born between 1921 and 1932 when his 1st wife Martha died, so anything after 1941 I would think.

I know what you mean about the McCluskey names, they drive me round the twist trying to find them.

On his service records he is shown as Macluskie.

I don't know which area Muir Street would come under

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Oct 2016 15:16

Here are George and Mary (surname mistranscribed as well as different spelling) at 14 Muir Street in 1945. No other McLuskeys of any spelling at that address.

That Muir Street is in the Springburn area.

George McLuskev
in the Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, Electoral Registers, 1857-1962
Name: George McLuskev
Residence Year: 1945
Residence Place: Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Parliamentary Division: Glasgow

Jean

Jean Report 1 Oct 2016 15:19

Thank you ArgyllGran,

Perhaps George and Martha never had children, and thanks for showing me the area of Muir Street, I might go and see if I can find deaths for him or Mary in the Springburn district.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Oct 2016 15:25

There are six pages of George McLuskeys on Glasgow ER's, of all varieties of spelling and mistranscription, from the 1920's onwards - Ancestry gives results from all years, no matter what's specified in the search.

Do you know when George died, to narrow the search a bit? (Oh no, I see you don't)
Or Mary?

Trouble is, it's impossible to know the relationship between the family members listed in any ER record.
A woman listed with a George could be either a wife or an adult daughter.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Oct 2016 15:31

These are all the George M*lusk* deaths in Glasgow 1940-80.

None of them look like your George, unless the informant got his age wrong:

MCCLUSKEY GEORGE 79 1967 644/2 695 Glasgow

MCCLUSKEY GEORGE TROY 39 1959 644/10 592 Govan

MCCLUSKEY GEORGE 46 1947 644/5 48 Springburn

MCCLUSKEY GEORGE 74 1974 623/ 105 Glasgow, Park Circus

MCCLUSKEY GERARD GEORGE 69 1980 615/ 738 Glasgow, Martha St

MCLUSKIE GEORGE 41 1967 645/3 680 Glasgow

Jean

Jean Report 1 Oct 2016 15:37

Thanks again for this ,
I have so many McCluskeys with different spellings and I don't think I have found half of them yet, mostly they are Henry's and John's .
I thought with a George it might be easier but it's not.

Jean

Jean Report 1 Oct 2016 15:45

Just checked his 2nd marriage in 1933, his address then was 13, Carntyne Road, Glasgow