Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

beatrice gates marry name lavoie

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

tn

tn Report 10 Oct 2016 09:55

beatrice had a son kenneth but she put him up for appottion in 1925 as he had a bad leg kenneth is my father and we are tring to find out if he had any brother or sister beatrice work as a housemaid she left kenneth in pontypool wales we think her husbane name was henry lavoie they got married in 1918 that all i know thank u

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 10 Oct 2016 10:07

I see the marriage took place in Farnham, Surrey......

Marriages Sep 1918   (>99%)
Gates  Beatrice  Lavoie Farnham  2a 419
 Lavoie  Henry  Gates  Farnham  2a 419

A daughter born in 1919

Births Mar 1919   (>99%)
Lavoie  Maud I  Gates  Farnham  2a 169

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 10 Oct 2016 10:35

Such a shame to discover that Kenneth had a sister but, apart from Maud's birth registration, I can't seem to find any further details about her.

Do you know what happened to Mother Beatrice?

Or when and where she was born?

Might this be Beatrice.....

???

Births Sep 1898   (>99%)
GATES  Beatrice Florence  Farnham  2a 120

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Oct 2016 10:55

I wonder if this was a brother ......?

Deaths Sep 1927
Lavoie Alexander .....4 ......Pontypridd ..... 11a 544

Mary

Mary Report 10 Oct 2016 11:35

Beatrice F Gates married Farnham 1929 to Edward Arbuckle

Beatrice F Arbuckle 1902 ? died 1936 Farnham Surrey.

Maryb.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Oct 2016 11:51

Maybe Henry had come over from USA or Canada with the Canadian Expeditionary Force and returned there after the war ??

malyon

malyon Report 10 Oct 2016 11:58

one child to marriage born Farnham 1934 Arbuckle mother gates

malyon

malyon Report 10 Oct 2016 12:05

kenneth was born 1926

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 10 Oct 2016 12:43

You said he was put up for adoption in 1925 but wasn't he born 1926?

Kenneth Lavoie

in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index, 1916-2005
Record Image View

Name: Kenneth Lavoie
Mother's Maiden Surname: Gates
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1926
Registration district: Pontypridd
Inferred County: Wales
Volume Number: 11a
Page Number: 933

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 10 Oct 2016 13:13

This looks like him, a Canadian soldier:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=520821

If you click on the digitalized service file and scroll down to page 37 his dependent was Mrs. N. Beatrice Lavoie, c/o Miss Layton, 215 Camden Rd., London, England.

Further down, page 60 it says wife Mrs. Beatrice Lavoie, 7 western Rd., Aldershot, Hants.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 10 Oct 2016 13:34

Now I don't know! This seems to be him on the 1921 Canadian census, father's name matches his attestation papers but he says he's single. Incidentally father's age on original is 54 not 34.

Henri Lavoie

in the 1921 Census of Canada
Record Image View

Name: Henri Lavoie
Marital Status: Célibataire (Single)
Birth Year: abt 1896
Birth Place: Quebec
Relation to Head of House: Fils (Son)
Father's name: Cyprian Lavoie
Father Birth Place: Quebec
Mother's name: Marie Elise Lavoie
Mother Birth Place: Quebec
Racial or Tribal Origin: French
Province or Territory: Quebec
District: Témiscouata
District Number: 207
Sub-district: Trois-Pistoles (Town)
Sub-District Number: 45
City, Town or Village: Ville Trois Pistoles
Street or Township: Trois-Pistoles
Municipality: V Trois Pistoles
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Cyprian Lavoie 34
Marie Elise Lavoie 55
Henri Lavoie 25
Maurice Lavoie 24
Emilda Lavoie 19
Heléne Lavoie 17
Ivonne Lavoie 14

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 10 Oct 2016 16:57

I think that you should order the marriage certificate to get his father's name.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 10 Oct 2016 18:26

A child was also born 1929 Beatrice and Edward.
,Beatrice F I Arbuckle but sadly appears to have passed away in 1988.as Mrs Cole.

Edward remarried in 1938.

Gee

Gee Report 10 Oct 2016 23:25

I am thinking the lady below is actually Maud I Lavoie b1919 as posted at the start by Prickles at 10 Oct 2016 10:07.

Not seeing an obvious birth for an Irene Maud Fisher. Maybe she was adopted by the 'Fisher' family. The birth of a child to the couple below has MMN as both 'Lavoie' & 'Fisher'

The marriage to John Peterkin is also registered in both names. Seems pretty certain she was adopted or some such.

IRENE M LAVOIE

Marriage quarter 4
Marriage year 1944

Spouse's last name John PETERKIN

District CHELTENHAM

Volume6A
Page837
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IRENE M PETERKIN

Marriage quarter1

Marriage year 1980

GEORGE B SHAW

District SOUTHWARK

Volume15
Page0052
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IRENE MAUD SHAW

Gender Female

Birth day 28

Birth month12

Birth year 1918

Death quarter 3

Death year 1982

District SOUTHWARK

Volume15
Page0024

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Household (1 Person)
200 Stapleton Institution Manor Road , Bristol C.B., Gloucestershire, England

Irene (M) Shaw (Peterkin,Fisher) Officer 22 (28) Dec 1918 Female Assistant Nurse Single 1 67

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 10 Oct 2016 23:56

What a great find Gins..........I have been searching for her on and off all day.

I am beginning to wonder that as Henry/Henri Lavoie declares himself as "single" on the 1921 census of Canada.......that he and Beatrice either divorced or separated.

(Henry/Henri might not even have been Kenneth's father)

And that she is in fact the Beatrice Florence Gates born 1898 Farnham........and remarried Edward Arbuckle in 1929 using her maiden name??

Possibly a long shot........but a copy of the Lavoie/Gates marriage cert would hopefully point us in the right direction.

Prickles.;o))

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Oct 2016 01:19

2 members of this site appear to have the child of the ARBUCKLE marriage, on their tree.

tn

tn Report 11 Oct 2016 03:46

hi yes dad was born in 1926 on paper is said the mother give permission for levi brooks balnce davids to appt dad he was 3 year old at the time all it said was beatrice lavioe (gates) no father name on there and she was a housemaid 53 main street
so its look like kenneth did have sister and is father from america thanks everyone

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 11 Oct 2016 14:21

I don't think that Henry Lavoie was your father's father, tn. I suspect that Henry was the Canadian soldier and that he returned to Canada after the war and claimed to be single. She continued to use the Lavoie name for respectability and registered her son as Kenneth Lavoie.

I really think that you should order that marriage certificate to get Henry's father's name to see if Henry is the Canadian soldier

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 11 Oct 2016 15:26

The best place to purchase certificates in online here.......

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

They cost £9.25

If we had the details from the marriage cert for Beatrice, we might be able to help you with living family.

Do get back to us if you purchase the marriage cert tn.

Prickles'o))

Kay????

Kay???? Report 11 Oct 2016 21:19

If the man was Canadian,,I was reading that in 1919 its was est that thousands of women went to CA to join their CA husbands who they had married here.

I wonder if Beatrice also went and can be found embarking in CA, to jin? --nothing leaving,,but may have been a army arrangement ship?,,,,,,and a death of Alexander Lavoir aged 4 in 1927 (no birth record even in Scotland,,are they on incoming list?