Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish roots Demaid.........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylann

Sylann Report 10 Oct 2016 17:37

I am hoping for advice on where I might get info for John McDemaid/Demaid/ Dermot ??
I have him in Scotland 1846 marrying Jean Liddle ... John .Demaid labourer of Abercorn West Lothian father Peter Demaid farm servant.
can't find him after that Just found him I think 1841 Abercorn West Lothian Labourer born Ireland about 1816.
His wife was on her own in 1851 under the name Jean McDemaid
On his wifes death certificate 1905 it states widow of John McDerrie her illegitimate son born 1855 was present?

Any advice on where to look for info would be appreciated I have looked in the usual sites
Thank you

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 10 Oct 2016 17:48

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1278860

(above for background info. covered on Jean)

Chris :)

(from above)

rootgatherer Report 4 Oct 2011 16:40

JANE LIDDLE
Father: THOMAS LIDDLE Family
Marriages:
Spouse: JOHN DERMAID Family
Marriage: 07 AUG 1846 Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland

Sylann Report 25 Oct 2011 15:48

Don't know what happened to my Message but here it is again
I have Jane/Jean Liddle married to John Dermaid 1846 Linlithgow West Lothian
51 census 122 High st Linlithgow
Jean McDermaid 32
David Potter 30
Margaret potter 22
MARION COWEN 3 NIECE>> which we know is right

71 Census 136 High st
Jane Liddle 53
George Liddle son 16 >>Illegit
George McKay 44

81 census 186 High ST
Jane McDiarmid 63
George Liddle s 26
George McKay 44

91 census 193 High St
Jeane McDermaid 73
George Lddle 34
Cecilia Stanners 9

Can't find her in the 61 census and just found out on Scotlands People that George's birth certificate has as father George McKay but a line through it with illegit son put in at the side??

I'm hoping the 61 census might give a clue as to what was happening as she went from her married name to her maiden name then back again

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 10 Oct 2016 18:36

(do you mean below?)

Chris :)

1861 (Find My Past)
Jean Liddle Head Widow Female 42 1819 Muslin Sewer Linlithgowshire (West Lothian), Scotland
George Liddle Son - Male 6 1855 Scholar Linlithgowshire (West Lothian), Scotland
Street High Street
Parish Linlithgow
County Linlithgowshire (West Lothian)
Registration district Linlithgow
Country Scotland
Enumeration district 5
Archive reference RG09

Sylann

Sylann Report 10 Oct 2016 18:57

Thank you That seems to answer the marriage but I still cant find where to look for the Irish conections

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 11 Oct 2016 12:16

Have you looked at the actual image of the 1851 census on Scotlandspeople please? This would perhaps show if Jane/Jean was a widow. If John died before 1855, there won't be a death registration for him. Without a place of birth in Ireland for him it could be needle and haystack search! How do you know his father's name and occupation please? It is unusual for this information to be given on an OPR marriage record.