Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Baltimore Maryland births help..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Colette

Colette Report 7 Nov 2016 18:25

Hi can anyone access Ancestry USA..I have found a child at the St Vincent's Infant Asylum on the 1940 Census named ALICE M JORGENSEN..she was aged 4 so born c 1935-6 in Maryland...need to know who her parents were..

Regards ColetteB

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Nov 2016 18:32

Only that infant asylum info coming up at the mo

Posting for searchers info
1940 ceneus
Name: Alice M Jorgensen
Estimated birth year: abt 1936
Race: White
Marital Status: Single
Home in 1940: Baltimore, Baltimore City, Maryland
Map of Home in 1940: View Map
Sheet Number: 1B
Institution: St Vincent's Infant Asylum
Attended School or College: No
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Alice M Jorgensen 4

Colette

Colette Report 7 Nov 2016 18:38

Hi Shirley yes that's all I can find can't see a birth record for this girl she could be the daughter of a Norwegian Sailor and a Liverpool Lady who lived in Baltimore .

Col

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Nov 2016 18:43

No I,m not finding anything else either

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Nov 2016 18:46

This may help seems the records have been kept

http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=32&p=topics.orphans.us.md

malyon

malyon Report 7 Nov 2016 19:09

Alice M Jorgensen
United States Census, 1940
Name
Alice M Jorgensen
Event Type
Census
Event Date
Event Place
Ward 28, Baltimore City, Baltimore City, Baltimore City, Maryland, United States
Marital Status
Single
Race (Original)
White
Race
White
Relationship to Head of Household (Original)
Inmate
Relationship to Head of Household
Inmate
Birthplace
Maryland
Birth Year (Estimated)

Colette

Colette Report 7 Nov 2016 19:13

I saw this after searching St Vincent's The Norwegian Lady I am helping is going to contact them..we are clutching at straws really as we don't know the girls name nor the mothers, just the mother was from Liverpool..we do have a photo of the girl it says Daughter of Arnold Jorgensen taken Baltimore no date but deffo looks like late 1940's and one of Arnold and the lady taken 1945 Baltimore..sent to his brother in Norway..no other clues but when Arnold died in 1949 in San Diego his address was New York he had Pancreatic Cancer and the ship he was on had to get him off and in to hospital in San Diego were he died..death cert has no info really just the address which I looked at in 1940 and nothing..

Col

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Nov 2016 20:23

Would the little girl be in an orphanage though which is what that place looks to be like

Catherine

Catherine Report 7 Nov 2016 20:31

If the mother was born in Liverpool, then could they have married in England?

Marriages Sep 1938 (>99%)
Bimpson Kezia E Jörgensen Ormskirk 8b 1918
Jörgensen Albert Simpson Ormskirk 8b 1918

Catherine

Catherine Report 7 Nov 2016 20:43

Looks like above ladies death:-

England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007
Name Kezia Elsie Jorgensen
Event Type Death Registration
Registration Quarter Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration Year 1995
Registration District West Lancashire
County Lancashire
Event Place West Lancashire, Lancashire, England
Birth Date (available after June quarter 1969) 14 Jun 1908
Volume 5902
Page 4A

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 7 Nov 2016 20:54

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1362589

(Arnold Kristian Jorgenson, for name perhaps)

Chris :)

(on that Vermont Passenger Manifest 1942, looks like he is going to Norwegian Seaman's Church, 33, 1st Place, Bklyn. NY)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1362616

Catherine

Catherine Report 7 Nov 2016 21:00

Sorry, just realised name on marriage is Albert, not Arnold.

Colette

Colette Report 7 Nov 2016 21:37

He was Arnold Kristian Jorgensen born Norway 1907 he was a Seaman he came to Liverpool ? met a girl they had a daughter ? names unknown his address from a shipping record 1942 was the Sailors Home Brooklyn..in 1945 he sent his brother in Norway a photograph of himself and his girlfriend taken in Baltimore we don't know her name..there was also a photograph of his daughter she looks about 16 years old also taken in Baltimore..we don't know if the photos were taken at the same time there is no date on the daughters photo..it just says Daughter of Arnold K Jorgensen..Arnold died in 1949 he had cancer and was taken of a ship that was in San Diego at the time..his ashes were sent home to his parents in Norway..nothing on death cert but an address in New York 452 west 47th St Manhattan..my only hope is a directory maybe for the late 1940's we don't know what became of of the lady and her daughter..

Thanks Colette

Dea

Dea Report 8 Nov 2016 11:47

This is a phone directory for 1946 which appears to show that a Thomas Carr was living at 452 West 47th St at that time?

http://www.donslist.net/PGHLookups/Manhattan1946M.htm

No help there then ..... :-(

Dea x

P.S. - It looks as though the 1948 and 1953 directories are available on Ancestry but I don't have worldwide access.

Dea x

Colette

Colette Report 16 Nov 2016 17:17

Thanks Dea thank you for you're help Yes Chris I saw the Seamans church address a lot used this address for post etc as they were always away at sea...

Col x.