Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

mary elizabeth jackson

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Flip

Flip Report 13 Nov 2016 16:33

My grandmother, known in latet life as Lizzie was born 9/7/1892 in Preston to unmarried mother Margaret Jackson. I have found her on the 1901 census in Barrow in Furness but under the namd of her stepfather Thompson at 22 Emlyn street. Can anyone find her on the 1911 census please?

She married in 1912, so I don't need any of the records since then, just the 1911 census.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Nov 2016 16:51

Well she isn't at home in 1911

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
64 Arthur St Barrow-In-Furness, Barrow in Furness, Lancashire, England

Learn more

Print transcription View image Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Occupation Age Birth year Birth place
Thomas Thompson Head Married Male General Labourer 43 1868 Millomroth Westmorland Transcription
Magratt Thompson Wife Married Female - 41 1870 Lancashire Barrow in Furness Transcription
Martha Thompson Daughter - Female - 13 1898 Lancashire Barrow in Furness Transcription
Thomas Thompson Son - Male - 7 1904 Lancashire Barrow in Furness Transcription
Sarah Ellen Thompson Daughter - Female - 5 1906 Lancashire Barrow in Furness Transcription
Maragret Thompson Daughter - Female - 2 1909 Lancashire Barrow in Furness Transcription
John Robert Thompson Son - Male - 0 1911 Lancashire Barrow in Furness Transcription

Maybe she was in service away from home

Dea

Dea Report 13 Nov 2016 16:57

What name did she marry under and who did she marry please?

Do you have the marriage cert/ - If so, what were the addresses, occupations, fathers and witnesses etc?

Dea x

Flip

Flip Report 13 Nov 2016 16:59

Thanks Shirley

Thats the right family, when her mother died in 1916 John Robert (Bob) came to live with Lizzie and her husband John Kerr.

I do remember her saying she was in farm service at some point - but have no idea when or where other than she walked home at michaelmas so must have been in walking distance of Barrow!

Flip

Flip Report 13 Nov 2016 17:02

Hi Dea, she married John Kerr on 4/12/1912 at St Georges, Barrow under the name of Jackson. But named her father as Thomas Jackson although he was Thomas Thompson, so a little lie I think.

alviegal

alviegal Report 13 Nov 2016 17:17

Could this be her? Too far away from Barrow, I suspect.

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
The Ryddings Bolton Abbey Skipton, Draughton Bolton Abbey, Yorkshire, England

Learn more
Print transcription View image
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Occupation Age Birth year Birth place
Richard Hagar Head Married Male Farmer 41 1870 Yorks Bolton Abbey
Transcription
Mary Ellen Hagar Wife Married Female Assisting In The Business 35 1876 Yorks Feizon
Transcription
Mary Hodgson Hagar Daughter - Female School 7 1904 Yorks Bolton Abbey
Transcription
Betsey Stockdale Hagar Daughter - Female School 6 1905 Yorks Bolton Abbey
Transcription
Margaret Benson Hagar Daughter - Female - 0 1911 Yorks Bolton Abbey
Transcription
Christopher Wood Hagar Son - Male - 0 1911 Yorks Bolton Abbey
Transcription
Ellen Henson - - Female Visitor 50 1861 Nottingham Nottingham
Transcription
>>Mary Elizabeth Thompson Servant Single Female General Servant Domestic 19 1892 Lancs Preston
Transcription
Dora Watson Nurse Girl - Female Nurse Domestic 15 1896 Lancs Liverpool
Transcription
Francis Hardirty Servant Single Male Farm Servant 20 1891 Yks Addingham
Transcription
George Reynoldson Servant Single Male Farm Servant 18 1893 Hensleydale Bainbridge
Transcription
John William Reynard Servant Married Male Shepherd 40 1871 Yorks Skyreholme

Dea

Dea Report 13 Nov 2016 17:17

Witnesses?

Dea x

Gee

Gee Report 13 Nov 2016 17:24

Did she go overseas for a short time? No other info available on the image

Name LIZZIE JACKSON

Title MISS

Age17

Birth year 1893

Marital status S

Occupation DOMESTIC

Departure year 1910

Departure day 28

Departure month 9

Departure port LIVERPOOL

Destination port PHILADELPHIA

Andrew

Andrew Report 13 Nov 2016 17:26

???

A Farm Servant. In the workhouse......

Name: Elizabeth Thompson
Age in 1911: 19
Estimated birth year: abt 1892
Relation to Head: Inmate
Birth Place: Barrow In Furness, Lancashire, England
Civil Parish: Barrow in Furness
Search Photos: Search for 'Barrow in Furness' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
County/Island: Lancashire
Marital Status: Single
>>>>>Occupation: Farm Servant
Registration district: Barrow in Furness
Registration District Number: 482
Sub-registration district: Barrow in Furness
ED, institution, or vessel: 51
Piece: 25701

Andy

Flip

Flip Report 13 Nov 2016 17:27

Witnesses to marriage werr Thomas Jackson (presumed her father) and Ann Eliza Kerr (John's sister)

And yes Alvigal, I think that's too far away - I'd not want to walk it!

Gee

Gee Report 13 Nov 2016 17:28

I know you have other info but I couldn't help but notice this and wondered if this is the correct lady, reverting back to 'Thompson' ?

Thompson Household (5 People)
River Bank Garnett Bridge , South Westmorland R.D., Westmorland, England

Lizzie M (Elizabeth Mary) Thompson 09 Jul 1892 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Single 60 3
Mathew H Thompson 12 Aug 1882 Male Builder & Contractor Single 60 1
Samuel R Thompson 08 Apr 1894 Male Rockman State Quarrier Single 60 2
Ellice (Elizabeth) Pearce (Fletcher) 20 Jun 1902 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 60 4
Brian Croft 27 Dec 1933 Male At School Single 60 6

Flip

Flip Report 13 Nov 2016 17:31

I don't think she went abroad Gins, her grandparents went ot America but I don't believe she ever did.

Looks promising Andy, it's the nearest found for her - is there anything else on the record?

Flip

Flip Report 13 Nov 2016 17:37

I think that;s a coincidence Gins, she stayed married to my grandfather till he died in 1962, and lived at 31 Earle Street Barrow till she moved in with us and died in 1974. I have them (and my parents) on the 1939 register, and have checked through the local ERs.

Gee

Gee Report 13 Nov 2016 17:47

Quite right Flip. I should have checked

Births Sep 1892
Thompson Elizabeth Mary Kendal 10b 730

Andrew

Andrew Report 13 Nov 2016 17:49

Further to my post.......

This Elizabeth appears to have a 10 month old daughter Hannah with her.

Andy

Flip

Flip Report 13 Nov 2016 18:49

OK Andy, don't think it's her then unless Hannah died before my mum was born in 1913 as she never mentioned a sister. Mum was the one who told me about Bob Thompson living with them and she thought of him as her brother, although she knew he was her uncle.

Incidently, John Robert Thompson got called Bob because grandad was John as was my mother's brother (he was known as Jack) so too many Johns in the household!

Gee

Gee Report 14 Nov 2016 07:55

The census that Andy posted. The 10 month old child is a boy and this is the transcription

Name Frank Thompson

Relationship Inmate

Sex Male

Age 0
Birth year 1911

Birth place Barrow in Furness

Address Roose Barrow In Furness

Parish Barrow in Furness
County Lancashire

Archive reference RG14
Registration district number 482
Enumeration district 51

Other Thompson' on the same census: Janet 63y James 16y (both Scotland)

Flip

Flip Report 14 Nov 2016 17:18

Thanks Gins, the other Thompsons on the census are no connection (that I know of) and I can't find a death for Frank so not sure what to make of that. Just have doubts as birth place for Elizabeth Thompson is also wrong, and there is this birth on cumbria bmd in 1893 (1894 according the freebmd, but cumbria bmd relies on birth date rather than when registered),

THOMPSON Elizabeth Barrow Cumbria Certificate Services B/64/378

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Nov 2016 04:19

Looking at the new GRO Indexes, this looks like that Elizabeth Thompson in Flip's last post

THOMPSON, ELIZABETH -
1894 M Quarter in BARROW IN FURNESS Volume 08E Page 803

No mmn, so illegitimate child of a Thompson

Same for Frank Thompson

THOMPSON, FRANK -
1910 J Quarter in BARROW IN FURNESS Volume 08E Page 788

Flip

Flip Report 16 Nov 2016 17:51

Thanks Sylvia, I think that rules them out. Mary Elizabeth was born in Preston as Jackson in 1892 as previously posted. Think this is a different person.

Also, that census from 1911 relates to Roose hospital which was the local work house & infirmary (where her father died much later). It was always Roose in the census info.