Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

June Avenell - Melbourne, Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 15 Nov 2016 12:45

Going to give this one more go in trying to find the children and/or husband of June Avenell born abt 1924 in Victoria, Australia (possibly Melbourne). She died in 2004 as advised by her sister just a few weeks prior to her own death (2007). Found June in the 1949 Electoral Roll still residing with her parents George and Sylvia Ruth Avenell, occupation was stenographer. Have made contact with her brother also but he refuses to talk about the family (some bad blood I think.).

The only information I have is that she may have married a man of Austrian or German origin/descent (unsure of this fact). Her sister also said she had children, possibly three, again unsure of the facts. After this absolutely nothing, it is as if she had vanished into thin air. I have checked all the other states BDMs but too no avail. If anyone can help me with even the merest scrap of information, I would be so appreciative.

Many thanks in advance
Vanessa Wright (nee Avenell)

Maddie

Maddie Report 15 Nov 2016 13:18

marriage records on ancestry only go upto 1950 i,m afraid

Catherine

Catherine Report 15 Nov 2016 14:15

for info:-

Marriage Certificate

Record information
EventMarriage Event registration number11010 Registration year1921
Personal information

Family nameAVENELL Given namesGeorge SexUnknown
Spouse's family nameHARRISON Spouse's given namesSylvia Ruth

........but can't see a birth for June?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Nov 2016 15:27

A previous thread about earlier generations of this family:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1173671

As you know that she died, do you know her surname at death? Presumably her married name?
Or where she died?

Re ordering certificates:
http://tinyurl.com/oqsxdxm

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 15 Nov 2016 19:26

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Catherine

Yes have all the information on George Avenell and Sylvia Ruth Harrison (my Great aunt and uncle). June was born after the accessible time for historical births (1924).

ArgyllGran

That is where the problem is, I have no idea of her married name, where she married or where she died. Her sister Shirley passed away before I could ask any more questions. We meet up for the first time in the Oct of 2007 just after my own father had passed away. We had planned to meet again in a few weeks just before Xmas of that year, then I received a phone call from her son to say she had passed away. I was pretty devastated, having only just found her.

I think the only way I will be able to track her down is to go into BDMs in the city and trawl through their records or have a search done for her.

It may also pay for me to put a post in "Find Living Relatives" and another letter to the Sunday Herald Sun's "Desperately Seeking"

Many thanks for your input.

Vanessa

Catherine

Catherine Report 15 Nov 2016 19:51

A long shot, but maybe someone could check this out on findmypast, even if it's just to rule it out? (Sorry but I don't have world wide)

"............Avenell was seen free in the water, but he went back to the plane to pull out a buddy an was lost. Pour of then ine-man crew were picked up. Scheduled to be married next June Avenell had been a science studen college. Meeting Is Held By Woman's Club Stories by Mrs. W. W. Carver an> pian

19 October 1957 - Benton Harbor News Palladium - Benton Harbor, Michigan, United States Of........................

greyghost

greyghost Report 15 Nov 2016 20:11

Mrs E W Orth 250? Willa Drive, St joseph will attend with her family Monday Memorial military services art Grand Rapids for her nephew, who died last week in arctic plane crash.
Technician 2/C Barth R Avenell, 21, was one of a nine man crew of a twin engine Navy patrol plane which overshot it's landing field in Kolad, Alaska, and plunged off the end of the runway 1000 yards into the Bering Sea. Avenues was seen free in the water, but he went back to the plane to pull out a buddy and was lost. Four of the nine man crew were picked up.
Scheduled to be married next June, Avenell had been a science student at college.

An earlier report on 12th October says Barth was the son of Mrs Christine Avenell of Grand Rapids

Catherine

Catherine Report 15 Nov 2016 20:36

Oh, what a let down.
So it wasn't June Avenell at all. :-S
Oh well, never mind.

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 15 Nov 2016 22:07

Thanks everyone .. June, to the best of my knowledge, never left Australia.

The Avenells in the US and Canada are related but I have not looked into that branch of the family as yet.

Vanessa.
<3

KevinL

KevinL Report 16 Nov 2016 06:00

Have you tried postinga question on the Genealogical Society of Victoria Inc facebook site (https://www.facebook.com/genealogyworld/?fref=nf), someone may have some advice or resources. Also there are 5 trees with June Avenell on Ancestry, contact them as they may have some info (i can do it if you want). The strange thing is that there are no birth records for June on the Victorian BMD listings? and no notices in Trove for the family. Also there is a Australian Genealogy Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/talltrees/), I could post the question (or you can join up). Is there still another family member alive? as there is a person on the Ancestry tree appearing as private (may may be alive?)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Nov 2016 12:22

Vanessa, in another earlier thread in 2012 you mention her brother, who couldn't tell you anything about June.

Might it be worth going back to him in case he's heard anything of her since then?

http://www.genesreunited.co.nz/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1315323

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Nov 2016 12:25

In "Search all members trees" on GR, someone called Warren has her in his/her tree - have you tried contacting Warren?

EDIT:
No, I see that question was answered in your other thread. You did contact him, and he didn't know anything.

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 15 Feb 2017 12:05

I wish to apologise to all who have answered my query and to whom I have not responded. I have had a few family health issues over the past couple of months and hopefully everything has now settled down and I can once again get back into my research.

Thank you to all who have responded with info, I appreciated it all very much.
<3

Valerie

Valerie Report 16 Feb 2017 01:06

Hi Vanessa
You could try the 'VIC State Library' (on-line) - it has an 'Ask Us' librarian service - they will check electoral rolls -past & present -and newspaper death notices (dates would help) They should be able to trace when 'June Avenell' went missing from their rolls - so you'd have a clue when she possibly married.

If she left VIC - try the 'National Library of Aus' (Canberra) -it covers ALL States.
(National Library of NZ offers same excellent service)

Valerie
WAus

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 16 Mar 2019 18:19

Well People of GR brains trust, the above mystery has finally been resolved after many years of searching. I finally found my cousin June Avenell, her husband and her 3 children.

I would like to thank everyone who over those years, tried many methods in assisting in the search for them.

Yay another brick wall down :-D <3

Catherine

Catherine Report 18 Mar 2019 12:43

Thanks for letting us know Vanessa, glad you've solved your ptoblem. :-)