Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Antoniazzi

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JOANNE

JOANNE Report 15 Nov 2016 15:30

Some years ago I came across a photograph of a family by the name of Antoniazzi it was in an article "In pictures: from Bardi to Cardi " - unfortunately I can not add the photograph.

The writing underneath the photo is as follows -""The Penguin Café in Aberystwyth was located at 8 Pier Street and 20 Terrace Road. It was run by the Antoniazzi family who had come to Wales from the town of Bardi in Italy and it still trades to this very day. ""
I was wondering if there is anyone out there that could maybe look up the "Bardi to Cardi" in pictures article and maybe clarify which Antoniazzi family it depicts if there is anyone that may happen to know - there is a man, woman a little girl and two boys on the pier in Aberystwyth, Cardiganshire.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thankyou

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Nov 2016 15:40

There's a photo here of Antoniazzis Penguin Cafe but it's in Bangor:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g186430-d4762043-i61898781-Antoniazzi_s-Bangor_Gwynedd_North_Wales_Wales.html

Catherine

Catherine Report 15 Nov 2016 15:45

any idea of dates?

If the café still exists today, why not give them a ring and ask them?

Catherine

Catherine Report 15 Nov 2016 15:52

Here they are in 1939

8 Pier Street , Aberystwyth M.B., Cardiganshire, Wales

Attach to tree View original imagePrint

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER
Andrew Antoniazzi 31 Jan 1883 Male (Senior Partner) Sweet Corp Married 42 1
Maria Antoniazzi 21 Aug 1884 Female Unpaid Domestic D Married 42 2
Francesco (Frank) Antoniazzi 21 Mar 1909 Male (Partner) Shop Assistant Married 42 3
Jenina Antoniazzi 28 Dec 1915 Female Shop Assistant And Land Married 42 4
Jae Jasseppe Antoniazzi 18 Sep 1914 Male (Partner) Shop Assist Single 42 6
Jue Emanwelli 12 Mar 1888 Male Shop Assistant Married 42 8
Ida Emanwelli 21 Sep 1901 Female Shop Assistant And Lamp Married 42 9

+ 2 records closed

Dea

Dea Report 15 Nov 2016 15:56

I don't think that the Bangor one is the same one. (Let's hope not as apparently the food there is awful !! ;-))

This is a link to the photo mentioned above:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/midwales/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8513000/8513011.stm

I think it is photo no. 3 ?

Dea x

Catherine

Catherine Report 15 Nov 2016 15:57

Could be relevant:-

First name(s) Andrea
Last name Antoniazzi
Birth year 1883
Birth place Costageminiani de Bardi
Residence town Aberystwyth
Residence county Cardiganshire
Nationality Italian
Conflict Second World War
Series Home Office: Aliens Department: Internees Index, 1939-1947
Document details Italian Internees Released in UK, A-C
Year range 1940-1941
Archive reference HO 396/205
Archive The National Archives
Record set Britain, enemy aliens and internees, First and Second World Wars
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory Government
Collections from Great Britain

7, Llwynpia Road, Ystradyfodwg, Pontypridd, Glamorganshire, Wales

Giovanni Robaiotti Head Single Male 24 1877 Ice Cream Vendor Italy Transcription
Andrea Poledui Servant Single Male 19 1882 Ice Cream Vendor's Assistant Italy Transcription
Andrea Antoniazzi Servant Single Male 19 1882 Ice Cream Vendor's Assistant Italy Transcription
Guiseppe Tzingrini Servant Single Male 18 1883 Ice Cream Vendor's Assistant Italy Transcription
Angelo Cordani Servant Single Male 17 1884 Ice Cream Vendor's Assistant Italy Transcription
Guiseppe Gambarini Servant Single Male 16 1885 Ice Cream Vendor's Assistant Italy Transcription
Luigi Servini Servant Single Male 25 1876 Ice Cream Vendor's Assistant Italy

Catherine

Catherine Report 15 Nov 2016 16:10

Name: Andrew Antoniazzi
Street address: 8 Pier street
Publication Title: 1923 Kelly´s Directory, South Wales
Publication Year: 1923

greyghost

greyghost Report 15 Nov 2016 19:49

Of interest ??

There was a 3 part series last week on BBC2 - The Welsh Italians. It was presented by a lass who was born in Wales but was of Italian descent like many in the area. Many Italians had come to the valleys around 100 years ago for the opportunity of mining. They maintain their Italian heritage, with some of the younger generations born here, returning to live - in Bardi ! There is an annual trip from Wales to Bardi in August. Many came and set up ice cream shops,coffee houses and even fish and chip shops. There was mention of not even mentioning their allegiance when it came to the Rugby !!!

Maybe you could catch the series on I player, or even be put in touch with the presenter for more first hand knowledge ??

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 16 Nov 2016 08:33

http://newspapers.library.wales/search/advanced

(worth a look on above)

JOANNE

JOANNE Report 16 Nov 2016 08:59

Dear All, I'm amazed at all of your advice and information thank you so much for that and for you all taking the time to respond.

I can now eliminate the photo in question that I thought maybe my Grandmother's family. (As unfortunately don't know what she looked like as a young woman, she is elderly in the photo I have)

I have been successful in finding her in the 1939 census and other information that I never knew.

It's a complicated story so I'm finding what I can without living members for now who I know are in Italy.

Maybe I could put a request on here for connections to her - you never know.

Thanks again

:-) :-) :-)

Dea

Dea Report 16 Nov 2016 09:32

Hi Joanne and welcome to the boards.

Firstly, if you click on 'search' - top right of this page and then click onto 'search all member trees', you will find that there are 238 mentions of the name Antoniazzi in members trees on here.

If you find a name you think connects you can then click to contact the members who's tree they are in and hopefully they may be able to give you further info.

Tell then how you connect etc (i.e. do NOT use one of the GR automated messages as they are likely to be ignored)

Also, if you wish to add the details you have onto this thread and say what you hope to find, we can see if we can be of any help to you.

Best of luck,

Dea x

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 16 Nov 2016 09:38

I am looking for any information on lady by the name of Marina Antoniazzi; date of birth 06/01/1897...

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/606003

(there is above old 'Thread' 2003, if she relates?)

Chris :)

JOANNE

JOANNE Report 16 Nov 2016 12:46

Thank you Dea that's very kind I'm currently using three family research sites and Genes reunited was just a thought from me using it years ago - good thought. I'm building my tree maternal and paternal on Ancestry. It won't hurt to check out your suggestion cheers.

Thank you also Chris that is actually the post I made 13 years ago, I can't believe it's still on here.

I do have more people to add and dates now but that was basically it. It's photos I'd love to see - as I say it's a very complicated story and I wouldn't wish to cause any upset to those not aware of mine or my Father's existence!!!

I have tried Ancestry.co.uk/Find my past/Family search (Mormons) and others but to no avail - I have birth and death dates for Marina Antoniazzi and her sister, husband and brother in law but only her husband has thrown up info on these sites in Wales. (But it has lead to some info on others in Cardiganshire) Italy is difficult I guess. But I have a lot more than I did 13yrs ago so that's progress.

Cheers for now Joanne