Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

THOMAS CLARK - BORN 1815

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AITCH

AITCH Report 22 Dec 2016 16:27

I have a relative (Thomas Clark) who was born in 1815.

On the 10 yearly Census returns he is variously shown as being born in Thornton, Yorkshire, Lancaster, Lancashire, and just Yorkshire.

At some point he must have moved north to Cumberland and got married to Ann (Routledge) Clark — on 20 May 1839 in WIGTON, CUMBERLAND,

I can trace relatives in Cumberland but I am at a loss as to how I find someone in another county, particularly as I do not have any evidence of any brothers or sisters, or names of parents.

If anytime can offer any insight as to where I could look, other than the usual family tree sources that would be great. :-)

greyghost

greyghost Report 22 Dec 2016 16:36

The 1839 marriage certificate should hopefully give you his Father's name. Clarke with an E here, also Anne with an E.

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Jun 1839 (>99%)
CLARKE Thomas Wigton 25 177
EASTON George Wigton 25 177
FELL William Wigton 25 177
HASTING Sarah Wigton 25 177
MESSENGER Martha Wigton 25 177
ROUTLEDGE Anne Wigton 25 177
TAYLOR Elizabeth Wigton 25 177
WARRICK Joseph Wigton 25 177

Order from https://www.gro.gov.uk at £9.25

---------------------------------------------

This record gives Place and actual date - although no Father for Thomas named, even though Anne's is named.

England Marriages 1538-1973 Transcription

First name(s) Thomas
Last name Clarke
Name note -
Marriage year 1839
Marriage date 20 May 1839
Marriage place Wigton
Spouse's first name(s) Anne
Spouse's last name Routledge
Spouse's father's first name(s) Thomas
County Cumberland
Country England
Record set England Marriages 1538-1973
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Marriages & divorces
Collections from Great Britain

EDIT - I see you've now altered your OP to give more details that you already knew. You've also changed the spelling of Clarke!

AITCH

AITCH Report 22 Dec 2016 17:15

Thanks for your quick response.

I forgot to mention in my post that I do already have a copy of the Marriage Certificate for Thomas Clarke and Ann Routledge.

They were married on 20 May 1839 at Wigton, Cumberland, but unfortunately there is no father shown for Thomas Clarke. Just a blank space. :-(

malyon

malyon Report 22 Dec 2016 17:32

this be Thomas

Thomas Clark
England Births and Christenings
Name
Thomas Clark
Christening Date
16 Sep 1815
Christening Place
Kirkby Fleetham, York, England
Father's Name
Thomas Clark
Mother's Name
Ann

AITCH

AITCH Report 22 Dec 2016 17:37

Thanks for the info,

I don't really know much about the area where Thornton might have been located. Suffice to say that Thomas's birth place was shown on Census documents as 3 different places (above).

Can you give me some insight as to why you think Kirkby Fleetham, York is a possibility. the DOB certainly appears to fit :-)

malyon

malyon Report 22 Dec 2016 21:28

that's the only Thomas born 1815 that I can find

malyon

malyon Report 22 Dec 2016 21:34

Thomas now a widower
Thomas Clark
England and Wales Census, 1871
Name
Thomas Clark
Event Type
Census
Event Date
Event Place
Upper & Nether Hesket, Cumberland, England
Enumeration District
Marital Status
Widowed
Occupation
Railway Labourer
Relationship to Head of Household
Head
Birth Year (Estimated)
Birthplace
Thornton, Yorkshire
Entry Number
Thomas Clark
Head
M
Thornton, Yorkshire
Elizabeth Clark
Daughter
F
Hayton, Cumberland
Thomas Clark
Son
M
Hesket, Cumberland
Ann Clark
Granddaughter
F
Hesket, Cumberland
John Clark
Grandson
M
Hesket, Cumberland

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Dec 2016 21:48

Thornton has been part of the city of Bradford (West Yorkshire) since 1899, according to Wikipedia.
More than one census gives his birthplace as Thornton, so I would guess that is correct.

Kirkby Fleetham is in North Yorkshire, and quite a distance from Thornton/Bradford

This is the only Bradford birth I can find around that time (BUT I'm not suggesting this is "your" Thomas. I would think your Thomas's birth was illegitimate, which is why no father is named on his marriage cert) :

Thomas Clark
England Births and Christenings
Name Thomas Clark
Gender Male
Christening Date 09 Sep 1818
Christening Place BRADFORD,YORK,ENGLAND
Father's Name William Clark
Mother's Name Faith

AITCH

AITCH Report 22 Dec 2016 23:21

Thanks to malyon and ArgyllGran for your thoughts. This gives me a bit of insight into the area where Thomas Clarke might have been born.

Anyone else who has any thoughts or information would be welcome.

What would be nice would be to find someone who has Thomas Clark in their family tree, and know that he moved out of county to Cumberland... :-)

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 23 Dec 2016 05:24

To find if any other Genes Members share Names, you need to check 'Search All Member Trees' (top right of page here, under 'Search').

Any clue from Witness names on that 1839?...

Chris :)

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 23 Dec 2016 10:34

1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Talkin, Hayton, Brampton, Cumberland, England

Thomas Clark Male 25 1816 Labourer Not born in County
Ann Clark Female 25 1816 Cumberland, England
George Clark Male 1 1840 Cumberland, England

As Chris said- who were the witnesses on the marriage?

AITCH

AITCH Report 23 Dec 2016 10:37

Witnesses on the Marriage Certificate dated May 20th 1839 at Wigton, Cumberland were George Studholme, and Sarah Armstrong. No idea who these people were, and whether they were relatives of either party, or friends??

George Clarke & Anne Routledge were married at the Parish Church by licence, so I don't know whether there is a way of getting to see the licence details, in case it yields any clues??

PatW

PatW Report 23 Dec 2016 13:13

If you go in search on the top line, righthand side a menu will come up. Click on search all members trees and two people will pop up with a Thomas Clark born 1815. Yorkshire. Might not be him but it's worth a try.
They are Marie Pettman and Keith Parkes.
Pat

AITCH

AITCH Report 23 Dec 2016 15:09

Thanks Pat,

I will try contacting Marie P, in case there's a connection. I have already been in touch with Keith Parkes but no joy I'm afraid.

Aitch :-)