Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorce

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pauline

Pauline Report 7 Jan 2017 16:31

Is there anywhere that one can find divorce notices ?
My parents got divorced , so would like to find out more

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jan 2017 16:51

Assuming they divorced in England and Wales, there is unlikely to be much in the way of surviving records.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/divorces/

The survival rate of divorce case files is:
1858-1927: almost 100%
1928-1937: 80%
After 1937: less than 0.2%

theres a link further down the page advising how to obtain a copy of the Decree Absolute

Its possible that something would have been posted in a newspaper. You could try the British Newspaper Archives. It really depends if divorce was 'uncommon' at the time.

Pauline

Pauline Report 10 Jan 2017 15:35

Thank you for reply. It was about 1948 from memory. May have been a bit later when it the actual divorce took place. I will see if anything in local papers, as it would have said about custody of me (I presume)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Jan 2017 17:47

Did they definitely get divorced? I only ask because even at that late date divorce was difficult to get and many couples just separated and went their separate ways.

My parents divorced in 1960 when I was 12 and I didn't know anyone else at the time whose parents were divorced because it was still frowned upon. I have their divorce papers so I at least know that they did divorce.

Kath. x

Pauline

Pauline Report 10 Jan 2017 22:30

Thanks for your replies. I am talking about 1940. s (Just after WW2) So divorce was VERY uncommon, and yes there did have to be a cause for it. (Which there was!)
Both parents where very law abiding , and my mother did re-marry, 40 years later.
I was one of the early one parent families. not like to-day, when having 2 parents is less likely ! i believe there may have been a court case, but not absolutely sure
i find it strange that you can find out , so much about people, where they live, age etc, but divorces not easy to find.
Are divorce papers issued? There must be a record somewhere , other wise how do people get to re marry?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Jan 2017 23:42

Someone will no doubt correct me if this is wrong, but both parties would be given a Decree Absolute. If it became lost before they wanted to marry again, they'd have the knowledge of when the divorce proceedings where. It wouldn't have been too diffucult to obtain a copy.
A friend says that hers is 'somewhere in the loft' and really hopes she never needs to go through everything stored up there, She divorced about 27 years ago. :-D

https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order
Tells you how to apply for a copy at a cost of £65 for each 10 year period that’s searched.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 11 Jan 2017 00:41

I assume the divorce in question took place in England or Wales because, divorce RCE are usually attached to Scottish marriage certificates.

I have/ or viewed a number of these
The earliest one that I hold is dated 1898 and the latest one that I viewed is dated 2005

Pauline

Pauline Report 11 Jan 2017 10:00

G Lass Are you saying that Scottish divorce are viewable on line, with the Marriage?
What a good idea. make sense as it "Completes" the dissolution of the marriage.

Yes it took place in England

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 11 Jan 2017 13:00

Pauline
There is an RCE ( Register of Corrected Entries) attached to later Scottish marriage records which confirms the date when a couple were divorce.

The RCE provides only limited info but, it confirms the date when a decree of divorce was granted
The actual record containing full information is held at National Records Of Scotland