Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 reg question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 23 Feb 2017 21:11

Hi all

I have had a look up on the 1939 reg
A living person is showing

Can someone tell me why please

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Feb 2017 22:51

Unless they were born 100 years ago or more, they should be closed unless a death record has been matched with the name.

You can ask for the record to be closed. If a GR member gave you the details, you could probably liase with them off board to do so on your behalf.

Added - you might already be discussing the problem with safc as they answered the original query.

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 23 Feb 2017 23:06

Thank you
Have just sent saft a pm

Asking how I can get it changed
I know this person is still alive

Do you know how I could get it changed

safc

safc Report 23 Feb 2017 23:18

hi
littlelegs

i don't know how to get the record changed
or closed
as i don't know why the record is open
i can't prove she is still alive as i don't know the person

as you know the person is still alive you will have to contact

.findmypast.co.uk

i deleted thepost as you said the person is still alive

regards safc

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Feb 2017 00:16

There's a button on the transcript page, safc. Since I've just shut FMP down, there isn't the option to experiment tonight.
Littlelegs, If you'd like to PM me the details of the original search & we can see what can be done. Obviously, we'd meed any details (by PM) they require to substantiate the fact they are still living. But first, lets see what they ask for.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Feb 2017 00:26

OK - thought I'd have a look tonight rather than in the morning.

The first section is about the info provided on the image. Then the nitty-gritty
Upload evidence of proof of identity *

Please supply evidence of the identity of the person in the record you believe should be closed. This needs to be something bearing their signature and date of birth. For example, a copy of a current and valid driving licence or passport. (Files supported: .jpg, .png, .gif)
Then a section ...Are you the data subject (is the above information about you)? * (Yes/No)

They ask for name, address, phone number & Email address of the applicant followed by the
Declaration

Please note that any attempt to mislead may result in prosecution.
I confirm that the information I have given on this application form is true. I understand that it is necessary for Findmypast to confirm my/the data subject's identity and my/their entitlement to this request.

If you want it closed you'll need supply a copy of a DL or PP. What happens if they can't provide that it anyones guess! I suppose if they were ill, frail or incapacitated , then a copy of the Guardian's POA might work

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 24 Feb 2017 07:09

They are very good at closing records without proof. My cousin, who is a very private person, was showing. I filled in their form and said I didn't have access to driving licence or passport and that my cousin would be mortified to learn this.

Also my father-in-law who is very much alive and well

You have to attach something so I just attach anything :-)

They have closed both of these records very promptly

Jude

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 24 Feb 2017 08:32

Thank you very much

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Feb 2017 11:25

Been on to National Archives. 'parking' the following link & will expand later
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/contact/contactform.asp?id=22
Added - the above link is for Records and research enquiries as suggested by the Live Chat on National Archives.

Link used -
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/
There's a Live Chat icon on the right of the page.
11:14:40 AM: D:
An entry on the 1939 register is opened when it should be closed as they still alive (born 1931). How can they or a relative get it closed without paying Findmypasts access fee?

11:15:13 AM: R:
Hello D, welcome to The National Archives live chat service. I'll just check for that information for you.

11:18:41 AM: R:
All records of living individuals under 100 years of age in the 1939 Register should be closed.
Records opened in error are a result of one or more of the following:
a) Error in the date of birth field on the original record
b) Transcription error on the date of birth field
c) An incorrectly listed Death code in the postings column
d) A record incorrectly matched to a death record
In these instances records will be removed from the website within 36 hours (72 hours for a request during a non-business day) and will prompt further investigation as to why the record is open.

11:20:06 AM: R:
Could you therefore give me the name, address and date of birth of the individual as well as your full name and email address. I will pass these on to the relevant team.

11:22:57 AM: D:
Thanks for the offer, but I'll ask the person or their relative to contact you.
Over to you Littlelegs!

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 24 Feb 2017 12:05

As I said Det, FMP are really quite good. When you go to the transcription page there are two buttons for Open a closed record and close an open record ...

If you click on the latter, it brings up a Take Down form

Record of subject detail found in the 1939 Registers
Please provide us with information about the 1939 Register person that you believe is opened in error.

* Mandatory fields
FIRST NAMES *

FIRST NAMES OTHER

LAST NAME *

LAST NAME OTHER (e.g. maiden name, change of name)

GENDER *

YEAR OF BIRTH * (Please provide full date of birth dd/mm/yyyy)

Their address within the Register
Please note we require the address as of 29 September 1939 (the date the Register was taken) for the record of the person about whom you are requesting the take down.

HOUSE NUMBER/NAME *

STREET NAME *

REGISTRATION DISTRICT

Newport C.B.
COUNTY

Monmouthshire
UPLOAD EVIDENCE OF PROOF OF IDENTITY *
Please supply evidence of the identity of the person in the record you believe should be closed. This needs to be something bearing their signature and date of birth. For example, a copy of a current and valid driving licence or passport. (Files supported: .jpg, .png, .gif)

So when you get to this last bit you HAVE to attach something...so I do (normally a birth certificate or something) and then in the additional information box I write...so for my cousin I simply said I don't have her passport or driving licence and cannot obtain them and, anyway, she would be mortified to know this existed.

For my father-in-law I just said this is my father-in-law. He is very much alive.

Both were taken down very quickly

Jude

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Feb 2017 12:23

Unfortunately, Littlelegs doesn't have a sub to FMP.

Although I'd be willing to pretend to be her, its much better if she did it herself. That's why the links to the National Archives have been given.

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 24 Feb 2017 12:48

Ah I see...yes quite agree that it needs to be done by her :-)

Jude

littlelegs

littlelegs Report 24 Feb 2017 15:33

Thank you very very much I am seeing to it now
I did the link you gave me and had a live chat with a lady who could not do alot from there but she said to give her the details of the record that I wanted closing and she would send it to the right people so hopefully it will soon be sorted

If any of the other people on that record had been opened it would not have mattered
Has they have all passed now

Thank you very very much for all your help <3 <3 <3

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Feb 2017 16:19

Glad it's helped. Lets hope that record gets closed sometime next week. :-)