Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ethel Rollings 1939 unlock please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SimonSez

SimonSez Report 7 Mar 2017 23:08

Could someone kindly unlock the 39 register for a Ethel Rollings born 1901 living in woolwich London with James Rollings and another.

Many thanks

Si

safc

safc Report 7 Mar 2017 23:11

Ethel Rollings on the 1939 Register

1939 Register Transcription

Rollings Household (3 People) 78 Tewson Road , Woolwich, London, England
Attach to tree
View original image
Print
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Ethel Rollings 15 Jun 1901 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 142 2
James Rollings 24 Nov 1893 Male Charge Hand Scrap Works Cooling Plan Heavy Worker Married 142 1
James E Rollings 01 Oct 1921 Male Shop Assistant Grocery Single 142 3

1 closed record

SimonSez

SimonSez Report 7 Mar 2017 23:17

Thank you very much Abby.
That's most helpful. James senior was killed in London during WW2 bombing blitz I am told

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Mar 2017 00:10

?????

Deaths Jun 1940 (>99%)
Rollings James 46 W.Ham 4a 141

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Mar 2017 00:21

from ancestry

UK, Burial and Cremation Index, 1838-2014

Name: James Rollings
Death Date: 16 Jun 1940
Burial or Cremation Date: 22 Jun 1940
Burial or Cremation Place: Greenwich, London, England
Register Type: Burial
URL:

You might be able to find out more by going to .............

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch?DetsView=Summary&src=ext&fileid=3821919

He doesn't appear to be listed in the UK, WWII Civilian Deaths, 1939-1945 which is on ancestry

SimonSez

SimonSez Report 8 Mar 2017 00:24

I would say that looks quite likely him Sylvia.
The family were in the West Ham area.

I'm stuck trying to find a son of James and Ethel Rollings.
Alan Rollings born 1932 West Ham area...he's not with his parents in the 39 register.
Just wondering if he was moved away from the area during the London bombing raids during the 2nd WW.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Mar 2017 00:30

The "Blitz" didn't actually start until 5 September 1940, and continued until May 1941

so it might be more accurate to say James died during a boming raid (if indeed he died) than in "the Blitz".

You'd have to get his death certificate to find out the true cause of his death.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Mar 2017 00:37

Simon ...............

safc said there was one closed rec ord on the 1939 reigster ..........

that could well be Alan Rollings born 1932 .................. records for people who could still be alive are closed.

The Register was updated regularly from 1947 until 1991 as it formed the basis for the National Health scheme

FMP is trying to update the closed records now as they a) check against death records, or b) get information from users (including death certificate)

so you need to find out if he is dead, when he died, or where he died (records for emigrants are rarely updated!) ............

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Mar 2017 00:50

I wonder if this could be his death???

It is NOT from freebmd, or GRO ......... this site seems to take information from obituaries, etc

England and Wales, Death Index, 2007-2015

Name: Mr Alan Rollings
Birth Date: 1933
Death Date: 17 May 2015
Residence Place at Death: Cranleigh, England
Postal Code District: Gu6

???????

I googled Alan Rollings died Cranleigh 2007, and the following showed up .......

Bona Vacantia List
Search UK Unclaimed Estates for Your Family

Alan James Rollings: 27/06/1932 - 17/05/2015
Surname Rollings
Forename Alan James
Reference BV21512095/1
Date of publication 06/08/2015
Date of birth 27/06/1932
Place of birth Peckham Southwark
Date of death 17/05/2015
Place of Death Cranleigh Surrey
Aliases
Kin or other details Not found
Date of adoption Not found
Date of marriage Not found
Place of marriage Not found
Maiden Name Not found
Spouse Not found
Marital Status unknown
Date of divorce Not found
Religion Not found
Nationality Not found
Date of naturalisation Not found
Date entered UK Not found
Executor Not found
Informant Waverley Borough Council

This record may actually be for the second birth shown below .....................

This is your James, born before June 30 1932 ...................
Births Jun 1932 (>99%)
Rollings Alan Newton W.Ham 4a 282

but this is Alan James, who could have been born any time from mid-May to end of September as parents had/have 6 weeks to register births

Births Sep 1932 (>99%)
Rollings Alan J England Camberwell 1d 1006

so I think the Alan who died in Cranleigh on 17 May 2007 is NOT yours

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 8 Mar 2017 06:57

Ethel died in Mansfield- I think your Alan Rollings is on the 2013 electoral register in Mansfield so unlikely to be open on the 1939 register.

Name: Ethel Rollings
Birth Date: 15 Jun 1901
Date of Registration: Dec 1974
Age at Death: 73
Registration district: Mansfield
Inferred County: Nottinghamshire
Volume: 8 Page: 0348

-----------------------------------------------------

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations)

Rollings - James, of 78 Tewson Road, Plumstead, Kent died 16 June 1940 at Co-operative Wholesale Societys Factory Thames Road Silvertown West Ham Essex Administration London 7 August to Ethel Rollings widow.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 8 Mar 2017 08:20

Name: James Rollings
Death Date: 16 Jun 1940
Death Place: Kent, England
Probate Date: 7 Aug 1940
Registry: London, England

Looks like you are correct about the death being during a raid on London.

Edit - not a raid see below

James Rollings of 78 Tewson Rd Plumstead, Kent died 16 June 1940 at
Co-operative Wholesale Society's Factory, Thames Rd Silvertown, West Ham., Essex.

£148 2s 4d left to Ethel Rollings widow.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 8 Mar 2017 08:45

Just looked up when the first bomb dropped in London WW2 and found an article about a plaque and here's the inscription

On this site at 12.15 am on the 25th August 1940 fell the first bomb on the City of London in the Second World War.

Perhaps you need a death cert. as it looks like a work related accident or health problem.

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 8 Mar 2017 09:41

Yes Sylvia, you are quite correct about that collection! They put an entry on for my mother after she had died in 2012 which they "pulled together" from the obituary. They gave my mother - who had no middle name - a middle name which was that of my elder daughter!

Somehow though, they also got her correct date of birth which was not mentioned in the obituary

I can't find it now so it seems they heeded my request to take it down!

Jude

SimonSez

SimonSez Report 8 Mar 2017 13:15

PatinCyprus. It looks like you have cleared that up about his death. I was told that James had stayed in the south while his wife Ethel and sons had come to live in Mansfield Notts and James was killed during a bombing raid.....however from your information it looks like his death was nothing to do with bombing raids at all.

Alan only died in Mansfield about two or three years ago. I visited him around 10 years ago, he gave me some good info.

I just wondered where he was during the 1939 register as he was not with his parents James & Ethel. But as AustinQ says...it's because it would not be open for him. I understand now.

Thank you to everyone for your help again