Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

michael cohu

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 10 Mar 2017 16:01

Hi
Can anyone help in finding a Michael cohu born in 1944 in wharfedale Yorkshire with mums maiden name being barrettt . Think possible father could be a Walter cohu and mum ivy barrettt

Can find no trace of him after 1944 . There could be a Guernsey connection and Walter may be brother of reta may cohu who died in Halifax in 1944.

:-)

Maddie

Maddie Report 10 Mar 2017 16:05

has a middle initial

Name: Michael N Cohu
Mother's Maiden Surname: Barrett
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1944
Registration district: Wharfedale
Inferred County: Yorkshire
Volume Number: 9a
Page Number: 304

Name: Eileen M Cohu
Mother's Maiden Surname: Barrett
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1942
Registration district: Wharfedale
Inferred County: Yorkshire
Volume Number: 9a
Page Number: 429

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Shirley

Shirley Report 10 Mar 2017 16:11

Yes they are the children I meant . I can't find mention of them after this and wonder if the family went back to Guernsey ?
:-)

Shirley

Shirley Report 10 Mar 2017 16:22

Did find a wedding of an Eileen m cohu in 1966 to a man named either Jeffrey walker or Jeffrey wolf ..not sure which is correct ..in Marylebone London :-S

Ru

Ru Report 10 Mar 2017 17:08

You could try Priaulx Library, The States of Guernsey Greffe (Guernsey’s Registry Office) holds the originals of Births, Marriages and deaths. It may be worth contacting them.

Good luck
Peahen

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Mar 2017 17:29

The marriage in 1966 is the same gro ref so the groom had been known by both names

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Mar 2017 17:35

The father

Walter Harold Cohu
Birth Date: 28 Nov 1906
Birth Place: Saint Pierre Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands
Father: Walter Cohu
Mother: Ada Louisa Tolcher
FHL Film Number: 473986
Reference ID: r 184

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Mar 2017 17:36

Electoral roll
VIEW West Yorkshire, England, Electoral Registers, 1840-1962
Name: Walter H Cohu
Year: 1945
County: West Yorkshire
Parliamentary Division: Shipley
Place of Abode: 9
Reference Number: SHIP:17/1; SHIP:17/2

VIEW West Yorkshire, England, Electoral Registers, 1840-1962
Name: Ivy M Cohu
Year: 1945
County: West Yorkshire
Parliamentary Division: Shipley
Place of Abode: 9
Reference Number: SHIP:17/1; SHIP:17/2

malyon

malyon Report 10 Mar 2017 18:17

could this be Michael

Michael Cohu
United States Public Records
Name
Michael Cohu
Residence Date
16 Apr 2007-10 Jan 2009
Residence Place
Fountain, Colorado, United States
Address
516 Blossom Field Rd
Address Continued
Fountain, Colorado 80817
Possible Relatives
Mitchael Sean Cohu
Record Number

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Mar 2017 18:47

He is Michael N Cahu on the birth record not Michael S

Shirley

Shirley Report 11 Mar 2017 12:42

Thanks all. Think Walter h married to ivy barrett is the son of Walter h and Ada bee tolvher . Thanks fir all your info. Please could you send me details of that census record fir Walter and ivy ? :-)

Shirley

Shirley Report 11 Mar 2017 12:42

Thanks all. Think Walter h married to ivy barrett is the son of Walter h and Ada bee tolvher . Thanks fir all your info. Please could you send me details of that census record fir Walter and ivy ? :-)

Shirley

Shirley Report 11 Mar 2017 12:44

Hi
I'm sorry , misread a post ..its not census of course ..thankyou fir that electoral roll information :-)

Shirley

Shirley Report 11 Mar 2017 12:49

I can't seem to find Walter and ivy after 1945 so they may have gone back to Guernsey ? :-S :-S I expect a lot if the refugees returned home once Guernsey was liberated.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 11 Mar 2017 13:35

If you can sign into familysearch.org there is a family tree on there with this family- Owner is angelaffoss- it also has an e-mail address that you can contact her on.

I've no idea how accurate it is but this is the information she has:

Walter Harold Cohu
Birth 28 Nov 1906 Guernsey, Channel Islands
Death 16 May 1964
Marriage: 11 Apr 1936 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Ivy Maud Barrett
Birth 01 Sep 1916 Canada
Death 01 Nov 1963

Children:

Jean Rose Cohu
Birth 29 Nov 1936Guernsey, Channel Islands
Death 26 Apr 1993

Pamela Ruth Cohu
Birth 04 Dec 1940Baildon, Yorks, Eng
Death 02 May 1980

Eileen Mary Cohu
Birth 09 Jun 1942 Guernsey, Channel Islands
Death 22 May 1998

Michael John Cohu
Birth 12 June 1944 Baildon, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Death 18 Nov 2007 Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England, United Kingdom

Roger Harold Cohu
Birth 23 April 1948 Guernsey, Channel Islands
Death 23 May 2009 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Shirley

Shirley Report 11 Mar 2017 21:17

Wow thanks for that . Will have a look. So it seems that some of Walter and ivy,s children remained in Yorkshire ...others went back to Guernsey. Thanks again. :-) :-D

Robert

Robert Report 22 Sep 2017 08:40

Hi shirley im also trying to find michael he is the brother of tony and we lived 2 doors up from the cohos on guernsey when they returned after the war.... if you managed to find Michael i would love to hear from you.. Robert ogier....is my name.... my sister Kathleen married Tony the brother of michael

Robert

Robert Report 22 Sep 2017 09:08

Just for your information Shirley... 3 siblings are still with us Tony , Angela and Karen

Robert

Robert Report 22 Sep 2017 09:19

Angela, Karen, jean, Pam, Eileen, Dave, Allan, micheal, roger, Tony, peter is the full list of siblings and only karen angela and tony remain sadly

Shirley

Shirley Report 14 Oct 2017 16:44

hi robert
i have tried to email angela foss and have had no reply. I think michaels aunty , bsister of walter , reta/rita may cohu died in shelf halifax in 1944. She was living in burnley just previous to her death and i think she got taken to the sanatorium with tb which is why she died in yorkshire. I am a good friend of her son stephen cohu. Stephen was born in burnley in 1944 when reta would have been only 21. He does not know who is father was and he was brought up in a childrens home never knowing any of his family. Apart from a sister sheila who was approx 5 years older than him which would make it that rita may cohu was only sixteen and possibly still living in guernsey when she was born .
I have tried to message angela with no luck...angela foss.

I am not sure if we have the correct michael though. It seems there is a michael john cohu and a michael n cohu. Michael is son of walter and ivy . born 1944. if so, then michael seems to have died in 2007 unfortunately.

Have you any information for my friend stephen who is desperate for some info regarding his mother rita may , sister of walter please .
regards
shirley :-)