Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mary Todd

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Mar 2017 03:23

Mary Todd born 15 August 1862 Fettercairn Scotland. She married between June 1883 when she was witness for her sister Betty (Betsie) as Mary Todd and 1899 when she was referred to as Mary M........ possibly Mistriver or Mc Sliver living in Wanganui New Zealand in her brother William's intestate death legal document. There are only 3 Mary Todd's married in New Zealand in that period and none of the names match so probably she married in Scotland before arriving in New Zealand.
I cannot find any trace of her, looked through the Wanganui Cemetery records and her nieces birthday book. We have information on the rest of the family but not Mary. Any help would be wonderful, Thank you very much I have had help here in the past. I have a copy of the document with her married name but can't paste it into this box.
Margaret

patchem

patchem Report 11 Mar 2017 07:56

There is the possibility that she married twice, once to Mr X in Scotland, then as Mary X to Mr Y in New Zealand.

Have you looked for any Mary Todd marriages around Fettercairn and districts?

Have you found her in Scotland in 1891, and, if so, where?

Added:
In 1881 appears to be a servant here:
Registration district: St Mary Civil Parish: Dundee
County: Angus Address: Dudhope Ter 4

patchem

patchem Report 11 Mar 2017 08:21

Have you looked through the ER's for Wanganui to see any similarity in names?

Ancestry has New Zealand ER's, so if you enter name as Mary, and Wanganui as place, then search for e.g. 1900 +/- 5 years without specifying a surname, you can then go to the results for M's to see what shows.

Does Mistriver even exist as a surname? (And not many McSliver/Silver/MacSliver's etc either)

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Mar 2017 22:27

Thanks for your suggestions. I don't know if there is such a name just working on what it looks like. What are ER's? It is likely that she arrived in New Zealand by mid 1885 as her 3 brothers were all here by then and we understand her parents were also here by then in time for her brother Davids wedding, unfortunately we cannot find them on a passenger list which I hoped might have her on as well. We have looked at marriages around Fettercairn, her sister married at Aberlemno, will try again. Thanks again. Margaret

patchem

patchem Report 11 Mar 2017 22:37

Sorry, ER's are electoral rolls.

Could you put the names and ages of all her siblings and parents, so we can help you try and find them?

Thank-you

patchem

patchem Report 11 Mar 2017 22:47

John died 1899, age 77, and Jane died 1893, age 68, in Taranaki?

mgnv

mgnv Report 11 Mar 2017 23:04

Women aged 21 or older could vote in NZ from 1893 on.

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 Mar 2017 00:23

Yes Mother Jane ( Jean ) Todd nee Piggott born abt 1 Oct 1822 Tannadice died 30 Nov 1892 Inglewood Taranaki NZ
Father John Todd born 1 Oct 1819 Fettercairn died 14 Feb 1899 Inglewood Taranaki NZ
Brother William born 1865 Fettercairn died13 March 1898 Waipukurau buried Dannevirke NZ
Brother John born 1 January 1854 Fettercairn died 19 Oct 1924 Owaka Otago NZ
Brother David born 11 Nov 1854 Fettercairn died 27 Jan 1937 Inglewood Taranaki NZ
Sister Betty (Betsy) Nicoll born 3 March 1847 Aberlmno died 5 November 1909 Brechin Scotland
Other siblings Charles Jean James Jane in census earlier but were not alive when William died in 1898.
We have good information on David, John and William and Betty had 2 children Jane Marnie Nicola 1884 and John Low Nicola 1887 both born ion Strathmartine Scotland.
All the places in Scotland are very close to each other, John was listed as a corn Miller in 1861 census.
The electrol rolls for Wanganui would be a good idea thanks, it wouldn't have been a large place then, might even pick up her husband from that. Hadn't thought of that.
Margaret

patchem

patchem Report 12 Mar 2017 08:38

Presumably she was not named in any legal documents from her parents, just William's?

patchem

patchem Report 12 Mar 2017 08:51

Does this link work for Mary's married name?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9R9B-VWC?mode=g&i=121&cc=1865481

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Mar 2017 09:02

Looks like her name ends with.....ce

Possibly Misfrice...... although the f.. matches an ..l in other words above ?

patchem

patchem Report 12 Mar 2017 09:19

Trying just with 'Mis', and not having any success.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Mar 2017 13:11

Looks like Mistrie to me.

The only names similar to that, coming up on SP in marriages in that time-frame, are McInstrie and Mastrin - but they're both women.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Mar 2017 13:27

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP18980315.2.51?query=william todd

(William Death, if anything to be found, from below, NZ Newspapers)

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/

Chris :)

https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/search

(is that David below, any mention in his Will?)

New Plymouth probate files

TODD, David ORDER DETAILS »
1937 1937 New Plymouth High Court

https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1358332

(Background Info.)

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 Mar 2017 18:56

Thanks again for your time and efforts trying to help. As you see the name is the problem. She was not named in her father's will, only his sons David and John nor is she in David's will which we have read carefully due to issues of inheritance, not in anything about Williams death in the newspaper articles from which we got a photo of him. I have a helper at the national library who hasn't had any luck on this one either!

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Mar 2017 19:47

All New Zealand, Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981 (Ancestry)

William Todd
1896 Waipawa Hawke's Bay
(Dannevirke)

(above is the Blacksmith)

Chris :)

(you can then go back pages to 'M' Surnames)

(although if a helper in NZ Library hasn't had much luck, don't know where else to look, lol)

Margaret

Margaret Report 12 May 2019 00:38

Update on this thread. I have now found my Mary Todd’s descendants through DNA and research. It seems the name we were trying to find was Mestrez, and we don’t think she married him,( it looks like he went to Australia) or either of the other fathers of her 11 children, she died as Mrs Mary Grogan and is buried in Wanganui. Thanks for your help.

mgnv

mgnv Report 17 May 2019 04:37

I think the name on patchem's link is Mistrie - the t is uncrossed like in Scotland on the line above.