Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Varini

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 11 Mar 2017 19:37

I am looking for any info on John Varini, he was born around 1896 in Northern Italy, I am not convinced his birth name is John. His marriage cert states parents were Pietro Varini and Maria Fall ( not convinced spelling is correct ). He married Janet Aitken Sloan Smith in 1929, they had two children, Robina Smith Varini known as Ruby in 1923 and Thomas ( my grandfather ) in 1931. Ruby married Tom Ward whom I believe came from Coventry. I have obviously checked out Ancestry etc but cannot find anything. If anyone can help I would be very grateful and if any of Tom and Ruby Wards family see this, please get in touch.John was a coal miner and lived, married, worked and died in Douglas, South Lanarkshire. He died in 1971.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 11 Mar 2017 21:46

I can't see any of the births or marriages that you mention on FreeBMD.

patchem

patchem Report 11 Mar 2017 23:06

MargaretM,

Marriages could have been in Scotland.

Karen,

Welcome to genesreunited.

patchem

patchem Report 11 Mar 2017 23:10

Scotlandspeople has birth for Robina Smith Varini in 1926 in Douglas, for reference.

Have you looked to see if anyone on genes have any of your family in their trees on here - think they are some connections if you search for surname Varini.

greyghost

greyghost Report 11 Mar 2017 23:22

All the information below is to be found on the Scotland's People website - you may know of all of the people anyway.
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

What is shown below is available as a Free Search. You would need to buy credits to view certificates online or send away for certificates for further details. Accessing further detail online is subject to privacy rules - any birth under 100 years ago, marriage less than 75 years or death 50 years ago is not online. As you have already named the people below I will put up the details but none of the more recent for privacy.

Surname Forename Spouse Year Ref RD Name

VARINI John Janet Aitken S SMITH 1929 641/ 16 16 DOUGLAS

VARINI Robina Smith Thomas James A Ward 1948 641/14 DOUGLAS

VARINI Thomas marr Hilda Allan W M Cochrane 1952 641/22 DOUGLAS

The RD Douglas is in Lanarkshire

I don't imagine it's a common surname, so possibly there are children to Thomas and Hilda who married 1973 Lanark and 1983 in Motherwell and Wishaw and possibly a next generation in 2001 Fort William and 2006 Irvine.

11 births with the surname show between 1926 and 2014, all but the most recent 2 in Douglas RD.

5 deaths show (4 below) -

John died 1971 aged 75
Janet Aitken S died 1963 aged 60
Thomas died 1988 aged 57
Jean Barclay 1988 aged 69

If you look for yourself you may be able to gather enough information to find telephone or other contact details which may help you.

Karen

Karen Report 12 Mar 2017 11:09

I have removed Thomas' marriage for privacy, sorry. The ones I am interested in finding are Pietro and Maria ( gg grandparents) .I have the info on the others. Pietro and Maria stayed in Italy and that is all I know about them. Thanks for all the help.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Mar 2017 11:21

There is this record on Findmypast but you don't say what year "your" Pietro was born:-

Italians to America, 1855-1900 Transcription
Learn more

Print transcription
First name(s) Pietro
Last name Varini
Gender Male
Age 28
Birth year 1872
Occupation Peasant
Literacy No
Native country Italy
Last residence Mendolfo
Destination Massachusetts
Arrival year -
Arrival port New York
Ship name Trave
Record set Italians To America
Category Travel & migration

Kath. x

Karen

Karen Report 12 Mar 2017 12:45

Thank you, I don't know when Pietro was born. I will have a look at the one you have found, but I don't think it is him unless he left my gg grandfather with relatives. I do know that Maria was dead by 1929 as it says deceased on John's marriage cert.

patchem

patchem Report 12 Mar 2017 15:20

Do you know when John Varini arrived in Scotland?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Mar 2017 16:45

There's a Derek Varini on the 2017 ER in Douglas.

If you look up Varini in Douglas in the online BT phonebook, you'll find his address and phone number.
I expect he's some sort of relation!

http://www.thephonebook.bt.com

Or you can probably contact relatives of his through GR.
Go to "Search all members trees" under "Search" at the top right of this page, and search for Derek Varini. He's on several people's trees. Click on "Find out more" beside any of the tree owners' names, and send a message.

EDIT:

I thought he might have been a possible source of information, but maybe not? One of the tree owners is named Karen - is that you?

Karen

Karen Report 12 Mar 2017 17:50

Yes, I am Karen and Derek is my Dad. I think that John must have come between the end of ww1 and 1923, but can find nothing on any of the obvious sites, tried FMP, ancestry, family search and here as well as general googling. Cannot find a Pietro and Maria that fit with dates or anything remotely like Maria Fall. Thanks for all the replies.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Mar 2017 17:58

Travel records weren't kept for travel from the continent as they were often day trips cross channel crossings

My grt grandparents came from Germany in the late 1800,s but no travel records survive

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Mar 2017 21:36

Robina in 1963, with Thomas James Alfred Ward:

Robina Smith Ward
in the Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980
Name: Robina Smith Ward
Electoral Year: 1963
Subdistrict: Moorooka
State: Queensland
District: Moreton

EDIT:

And both still in Moorooka up to 1980, which is the latest ER Ancestry shows.
There are quite a number of Wards at other addresses in Moorooka. Don't know if any of them are Robina's children or not.

Coral

Coral Report 13 Mar 2017 02:38

Death notice from Ryerson Index for Thomas Ward

WARD Thomas James Alfred Funeral notice 20AUG2009 Death 84 late of Kingaroy South Burnett Times (Kingaroy) 25AUG2009

There are 5 Ward families in Kingaroy Qld. One of them an R Ward.

https://www.whitepages.com.au/residential/results?name=ward&location=kingaroy%20qld

Karen

Karen Report 13 Mar 2017 10:31

Thank you, that's them.Brilliant :-D