Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mona Violet Clarke/Sowerby/May Pearce

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 12 Mar 2017 04:48

Hi,

I am trying to find some information about my grandmother Mona Violet Clarke and great grandmother May Pearce.

I know very little except that in July 1919 May had a daughter who she named Mona Violet Clarke. The birth certificate had the father as Robert Clarke (deceased) and indicated that they were married though I have not been able to locate a marriage.

Mona was born in Chorlton Manchester and was given up for 'fostering' and she was brought up by a family with the name of Sowerby. The family had 2 daughters already who were a good few years older than she was.

I think May Pearce may not have been married and has possible traveled to another area to have her baby.

Gill

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Mar 2017 07:45

You may be right that the father was put as deceased as a face saver

If a child was illigitmate then the father has to acknowledge paternity to be on the cert

It could aslo be that he did exist and they lived together but he died

Am guessing May was the informant .does she give an address

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Mar 2017 07:49

We have looked at this before because I am finding records that are ticked indicating they have already been opened

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Mar 2017 07:50

Another post here............

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1359567

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Mar 2017 08:24

Have added to the other thread -

re Sarch Sowerby, formerly Clarke, nee McGinty.

Just in case it helps.