Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Update - Canadian Search - CHANT

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CasCas

CasCas Report 1 Apr 2017 22:34

UPDATE
Photos have now been viewed and we can confirm that Clifford Chant b1921 in Somerset is NOT the chap in my Dads photos.

So back to the drawing board. I now believe that the significance of the Canadian address on the back probably confirms he was either Canadian or at least lived there (unlikley born in uk as there are no relevant births)

Cassie

Original post:
Good evening from UK.

My Dad passed away in England and whilst going through his things I have found some photos of a chap and a lady and on the back is a Canadian address and dated 1945.

The man is called CLIFFORD CHANT and is pictured with a lady VERA on several photos. Vera could possibly be his wife.

Clifford is wearing some sort of military uniform and is walking down 'High St, Southampton' with my dad. Southampton is a large naval area. My dad was in the Merchant Navy so assume he has met Clifford due to this although Clifford's uniform looks more formal than my dad's so he could be from any of the forces.

My dad was born 1925 and I think Clifford could be a little older than him or possibly same age.

The address on the back of one of the photos is
CLIFFORD ( think it's initial A or could be a G) CHANT
1546 MOULIREY??? AVENUE (could be Monterey Ave ?)
VICTORIA BC
CANADA

Xmas 1945 -46

I would love to find anything at all out about this chap as I believe he and Dad met up many times and remained in contact for some time.

Long shot but is there anyone out there who could possibly help me to trace his family or find out a little about Clifford (and Vera).

It is late here now so I may not look at this thread until tomorrow.
Any info at all would be very gratefully received

Regards
Cassie :-) :-\

patchem

patchem Report 1 Apr 2017 23:03

1546 Monterey Avenue?

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Character-location-and-charm--1546-Monterey-Ave-Oak-Bay_22380911

CasCas

CasCas Report 1 Apr 2017 23:06

Hi Patchem. Yes looking at it it could be Monterey Ave. The handwriting is a little difficult to read.

Regards
Cassie

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 2 Apr 2017 05:15

Canadian voters' lists at Ancestry show

Vera Olive Chant 1974 Victoria, British Columbia Victoria
Mrs Vera Chant 1972 Victoria, British Columbia Victoria
- her husband is Ronald D Chant

Mrs V J Chant 1957 Victoria, British Columbia Victoria
- no other Chant in household

BC records search

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Genealogy

shows nothing for either name

There are various other Clifford Chant records (e.g. voters' lists, findagrave) in other parts of Canada, but none in BC.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 2 Apr 2017 05:47

The Legion's Last Post (deaths of Legion members, mostly recent) doesn't show any death for that name.

https://legionmagazine.com/en/last-post/?mode=collection

One of the Cliffords in records is in a 1907 class photo as a young child ... seated beside a Vera Taugher :-)

From the 1921 census, he was born in 1902.

http://images.ourontario.ca/brant/2751165/data?n=10

There are 2 Chant listings in Victoria today, one of which gives an address

http://www.canada411.ca/search/?stype=si&what=chant&where=Victoria%2C+BC

There would be no harm in writing.

Dea

Dea Report 2 Apr 2017 07:14

Don't know if it helps but there is this death cert:

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/25a583eb-f833-4063-8a58-bc0627d45d13

Event Type:
Death
Registration Number:
1975-09-012299
BC Archives Mfilm Number:
B13344
GSU Mfilm Number:
Event Date (YYYY-MM-DD):
1975-08-11
Event Place:
VICTORIA
Age at Death:
Person:
RONALD JOSEPH CHANT
Vital Stat Images(s):
004479352_01719.jpg

He was married to Vera Olive Waller
His parents were John Chant and Winnifred Lillie (mmn Doidge)
He was born in Plymouth, England.

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 2 Apr 2017 07:20

This is Winnifred Lillie's death cert:

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/c43491c9-594c-4eb7-bda3-edd3c128a4fc

She was born in Cardiff on 9th October, 1886. - Parents Thomas Henry + Petronell Hallett

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 2 Apr 2017 07:31

Ronald on 1911:

Name: Ronald Joseph Chant
Age in 1911: 1
Estimated birth year: abt 1910
Relation to Head: Son
Birth Place: Plymouth, Devon
Civil Parish: Plymouth
Search Photos: Search for 'Plymouth' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
County/Island: Devon
Street address: 94 Beaumont Rd, Plymouth
Registration district: Plymouth
Registration District Number: 276
Sub-registration district: Plymouth South East
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Household schedule number: 338
Piece: 12969
Household Members:
Name Age
Winifred Ellen Chant 23
Ronald Joseph Chant 1

Dea x

patchem

patchem Report 2 Apr 2017 07:34

There is also this birth, in England, just for information, as you are not sure if Clifford A or Clifford G:

Births Dec 1921
Chant Clifford G Kearley Frome 5c 627

Added:
Probably this death, though:
Deaths Sep 1975
Chant Clifford George 6th October 1921 Mendip 23 956

You have said that you think your Father and Clifford met up many times, could you confirm that your Father also lived in Victoria, or elsewhere?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 2 Apr 2017 07:42

could be related Dea but it's actually *Clifford* Chant we are looking for :-)

I checked and Ronald didn't seem to have siblings

edit - ah seeing your last post now, you were thinking the same thing, could be related

A Clifford Chant married in Southampton but not to a Vera

Marriages Sep 1935
Chant Clifford E - Comley Southampton 2c 43
Comley Hilda M - Chant Southampton 2c 43

A Hilda M Chant died in Brighton in 1938, aged 22 ... wrong age for the likely Hilda married to that Clifford

Births Dec 1913
Comley Hilda M - Spanner S. Stoneham 2c 147

... except there doesn't seem to be a birth or marriage to account for the 1938 death otherwise.

I would guess this is the Clifford who married Hilda:

Births Sep 1908
Chant Clifford - Norman S. Stoneham 2c 72

the next Clifford Chant birth was 1921, then 1923, 1926 and 1927.

But of course he could have been born in Canada.

Sandra what I'm not clear on is the date of the photo, the address dates to Christmas 1945, but the photo itself?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 2 Apr 2017 07:52

Have you searched trees here? there are several people with the 1908 and the 1921 Clifford Chants in their trees, so you could easily ask whether he lived in Canada / had a wife or relation named Vera.

patchem

patchem Report 2 Apr 2017 08:20

On the Canada voting lists for Nanaimo in 1949 there is an A C Chant, driver, 3218, Glasgow. (Yes, I have been trying Clifford A, A Clifford, Clifford G, G Clifford, etc).

Presumably 'Glasgow' is a local area in Nanaimo, as several people on the page also have it listed for them?

CasCas

CasCas Report 2 Apr 2017 09:22

Good morning everyone and THANKYOU very much for all the info.
To clarify - the photos are dated 1945 and some show Clifford with my dad. My dad was b1925 and they look similar in age so Im afraid ones mentioned born earlier than I'd say 1922 would not be matches. Dad was in the merchant navy at the time of the photos which fits with the clothes/age in 1945.

Ive checked the trees on this site and contacted those families where possible. The one b1921 in UK I also thought was a possible but appears he married in the uk the same year he was photograped with 'Vera' and also died in uk so I think this is not likely. He also had lots of siblings so I will check the familes of these to be sure.

There are a few more CC born uk but are too young for the chap on the photo.

Unfortunately Ive no idea where Cliff was born but do remember dad saying he was 'Canadian'. I suppose Clifford may not have been his birth name?? But looking at the pics I would say he was born 1920-25.

I cant say for sure if he married Vera as the photos dont state.

Patchem - dad was born in uk and apart from visiting many countries in the merchant navy including Canada he remained in the uk all his life. The photo of him and Cliff together states on the back 'High St Southampton' in same handwriting as the one wishing dad a merry xmas with the canadian address on in 1945 (assume Cliffs writing). Its as if the photos were posted to dad maybe at a later date pos from Canada?

Thanks again for all the info. I think I may now write to any addresses given here.

Regards
Cassie

Ps Ive also sent a few messages on facebk to Chants in Victoria BC. :-S

Dea

Dea Report 2 Apr 2017 10:54

I don't know whether this is in any way connected but there is an article here from the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News 29 August 1947 mentioning a Clifford Chant.

At the bottom right of the page is a photo and he is shown 3rd from left.

As you have a photo of him around that time, perhaps you would be able to recognise if this is the one - If so, it may help further in your search ?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/48680702

Dea x

CasCas

CasCas Report 2 Apr 2017 11:50

Thanks Dea! Its a possibility.

Im unable to see the photo very well on here as its very small. Could I ask is the view any better if I pay a sub and look at it myself - ie can I make it bigger?

Many thanks.
Cass :-)

Dea

Dea Report 2 Apr 2017 12:16

Are you on FindmyPast ?? - If so, you can view it better here: (You can zoom and enlarge and the image is very clear):

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/ViewArticle?id=BL%2F0001858%2F19470829%2F013%2F0010&browse=true

If not, perhaps I could print it out from there and then scan it into my computer and send it through to you ??

I will experiment!

Having to cook lunch at the same time though so it may take a while .....

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 2 Apr 2017 14:11

I'm back...............

I'm not very technical on here and I can't find a way to make it bigger to put in keepsafes and keep it clear at the same time :-(

Is this 'clip' any clearer ? - He is the one in the middle.

If not, I am sure that some other 'clever' person on here will be able to sort something for you.

Dea x

patchem

patchem Report 2 Apr 2017 16:13

You initially put

' I believe he and Dad met up many times and remained in contact for some time.'

which was why I wondered where and when they met up initially and how they met up afterwards if on different boats based from different countries.

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 2 Apr 2017 16:17

Best I can do re "enlargement"

Jude

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/48689377

CasCas

CasCas Report 2 Apr 2017 16:33

Hi again everyone and thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Patchem - my Dad said before he passed away that he and Cliff met several times and kept in touch but never actually said where. Dad travelled all over the world so maybe they met in both UK and Canada (and even elsewhere). How I wish Id asked more at the time but before I knew it it was too late to ask as Dad became unwell.

Im not sure if they ever sailed on the same ships.

Dea and Jude - thanks for the piccie. Im not on Findmypast but think I need to join. Ive checked the photo and it doesnt appear to be the same man :(

Maybe Ill never find out but I will pursue the CC born in the uk but have more or less discounted then now. I think I may write to a few 'Chants' in Canada too.

Moral of the story I suppose is never put off till tomorrow....

Once again thanks everyone and I will keep you posted if I have any luck.

Cassie :-)