Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Met Police Records on Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jenVG

jenVG Report 6 Apr 2017 13:28

Could anybody who has Ancestry membershiip please look on their newly added Metropolitan Police Records to see if my grandfather THOMAS JAMES HUCKINS BORN Woodstock, Oxfordshire in 1888 is appearing. At the time of the 1911 census he was serving in the Hampstead London NW3 station. He subsequently went on to marry and emigrate to Australia and after & after serving in WW1 Australian army, joined the Sydney Police force. I am interested in his service with the Met. I already have his Sydney records. Thanks in antiicipation.
Jennifer .

Andrew

Andrew Report 6 Apr 2017 13:48

Sorry, can see no trace of him.

Andy

jenVG

jenVG Report 6 Apr 2017 13:50

Hi Andrew. How strange! On the 1911 census he was listed as being on duty as a PC at the Hampstead police station.

jenVG

jenVG Report 6 Apr 2017 13:56

Hi Andrew. How strange! On the 1911 census he was listed as being on duty as a PC at the Hampstead police station.

Maddie

Maddie Report 6 Apr 2017 14:04

you probably have this
he is a police sergeant going to police station college town camberley surrey
UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960

Name Mr Thomas J Huckins
Birth Date abt 1888
Age 46
Port of Departure Brisbane, Australia
Arrival Date 4 Jun 1934
Port of Arrival Hull, England
Ship Name Largs Bay
Search Ship Database Largs Bay Largs Bay
Shipping Line Aberdeen and Commonwealth Line
Official Number 137225ge camberley surrey

Mr T J Huckins

in the UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960
View UK, Outward Passenger Lists, 1890-1960

Report issue

Name: Mr T J Huckins
Birth Date: abt 1888
Departure Date: 18 Aug 1934
Port of Departure: London, England
Destination Port: Sydney, Australia
Ship Name: Ormonde
Search Ship Database: Search for the Ormonde in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping line: Orient Line
Official Number: 141866
Master: W J Williams

Maddie

Maddie Report 6 Apr 2017 14:13

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk › Help with your research › Research guidesOnly the records of the Metropolitan Police, the Royal Irish Constabulary and a few relating to the Transport Police are held at The National Archives. Surviving ...

Andrew

Andrew Report 6 Apr 2017 14:16

Have looked at some of the other names on 1911 census. About half aren't in the record.

Andy

Dea

Dea Report 6 Apr 2017 14:34

The new records on there appear to be from the Metropolitan Police Pension Registers and therefore will only show those who 'retired or resigned from the force and were granted police pensions'.

As your Ancestor emigrated and joined the Sydney Police Force he wwould not therefore show on the above.

Dea x

jenVG

jenVG Report 6 Apr 2017 14:44

Thanks Dea. Thought he may show up until resigning at the outset of WW1. He married in 1916 To Maud Strong. Thanks Andy and Maddie - no I did not have the 1934 passenger info. I have his death certificate from Sydney and he is described as having "no issue". My Mum was his illegitimate daughter from 1912.

Thanks all.

Jennifer

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 6 Apr 2017 23:20

Help! Can someone give me a link for searching these Met police records at Ancestry?

Ancestry will not divulge this secret to me.

Thanks!

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 7 Apr 2017 02:12

JoonieCloonie

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?htx=List&dbid=61310&o_xid=77816&o_lid=77816&o_sch=Email+Campaigns

If you find a connection the two pages of results are well worth it, lots of info for the man and his wife, if married.

Happy hunting!

Chris

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Apr 2017 03:44

Thanks Chris!

It was a long shot ... there's someone in the 1871 census, the year I can't find my man (born in Devon and there in 51 and 61 with mother, in Salford in 1881, could have been anywhere in 1871!), who is police in London, but the name and personal details are so enormously common that I had no way of knowing. (Not quite John Smith, but very close.)

I think I've matched him up with a man in the Met police database now, and he's not my man. Oh well, ruling out is always useful!

Got a police sergeant in Essex a generation earlier. There's a very little about him in records there. On a list, where he is of good character :-)