Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tommy crossan

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 12 Apr 2017 18:00

Please can anyone please help. Im trying to find out more about a Tommy Crossan, born around 1922, in Lanarkshire Scotland. He lived in Calderbank in the 60s. He appeared to have had a wooden leg from war injuries, he also worked for a company called Honeywells, which still exists today. I also believe he may have had 3 sons

Thank you .

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Apr 2017 19:05

Register with Scotlandspeople and look for his birth & marriage registration
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
You can then purchase the certificates to get relatives details. You might find he was registered as a Thomas rather than Tommy.

What exactly are you hoping to discover? Were you wanting to trace forward or backwards? Or are you hoping to find someone who knew/knows him?

Use the Search all member trees for Thomas - top right under Search with yob +/-5 but no place. There are a couple of entries which might relate to the same person. Send the tree owner a message asking how they are related.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Apr 2017 19:09

If you wanted details of his War Service, they'd still be with the MOD & would cost £30 for a copy.

This is the link for obtaining UK service records:
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Angela

Angela Report 12 Apr 2017 22:57

Thank you, I have registered with scotlands people, but find it quite difficult to look at anything without ordering certificates. Tommy is on my friends adoption file as her father.He was marriedat the time. In 1963, he was 40ish and lived in park road Calderbank Scotland. I believe he had 3 sons

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 13 Apr 2017 08:38

Have you considered this one?

Birth
1922 Holytown
THOMAS PATERSON CROSSAN

Marriage:
1946 Old Monkland
THOMAS PATERSON CROSSAN
ELIZABETH BURT WILKINSON/ CROSSAN

Death:
1999 Airdrie
THOMAS PATERSON CROSSAN age 77

EDIT: Possibly not this one- hard to identify all their children but looks like two sons and two daughters.

Angela

Angela Report 13 Apr 2017 13:16

Thank you, can I ask where to find this information re, the children.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Apr 2017 15:05

If your friend has already been in contacting with Birthlink to access her records, has she considered asking for their to help trace her father/his relatives?
http://www.birthlink.org.uk/

Even if she was able to find his relatives with our help, we'd strongly advise employing a professional intermediary to approach them first. Although he may have been quite open to his family about fathering another child, there's always the chance it would be tremendous shock if they know nothing of his additional daughter.

Angela

Angela Report 13 Apr 2017 17:07

We collected her adoption file last week, she does have the option to get help finding them, and we are aware of the consequences of what could happen , if his family were unaware of her existence. We plan to tread carefully. This for me is just interesting. ??

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 13 Apr 2017 19:09

Angela, the births of the children are on Scotland's People. I did follow through the children and found one of the children and related family on facebook.

However, I didn't feel comfortable messaging you with the details as I they didn't fit the information you had given re three sons- and, as detective says, approaching the correct family could be a huge shock, but contacting the incorrect family could cause all sorts of damage.

If you do wish to search yourself then using Scotlandspeople is a good starting point- concentrating on the Calderbank and close by areas.

Sorry I can't help further. Good luck with your search

:-)

Angela

Angela Report 13 Apr 2017 19:44

Thank you , but im obviously not using scotlands people correctly, as I don't seem to be able to find anything concrete. Any tips would be very grateful

Angela

Angela Report 13 Apr 2017 20:15

Also the 3 sons was a " I think he had 3 sons"

Angela

Angela Report 14 Apr 2017 22:07

Can someone please tell me how to look at anything on SP, without having to order a copy of the certificates.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Apr 2017 23:22

Angela,

You cant see any full contained details of any event,birth,marriage or death on Scotlandspeople.

Births have 100 year closure on them,,,,,at present up to 1916 is downloadable
Marriages,is 75 years.
Deaths is 50 years.

all others have to be ordered for full details ,although the indexes are online which only give a name and area..