Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Desperately seeking Margaret Rate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vikki Brace

Vikki Brace Report 4 Aug 2006 18:20

I am trying to find info on Margaret Rate. She was my Great Grandmother. The only info I have about her is from her marriage certificate to John Brown in 1915 in Peckham, SE London. on the certificate it shows her father as Arthur Rate, and her age as 21. I have checked the bmd for the years 1892-1896 incase she lied about her age but she is not there.......... Any help very much apreciated......... Vikkix

Mags & Nicky

Mags & Nicky Report 4 Aug 2006 18:40

It's possible the surname is spelt incorrectly, there is no Margaret Rate in the entire country spelt that way in 1901. Could it be interpreted any other spelling that you are aware of? Margaret

Mags & Nicky

Mags & Nicky Report 4 Aug 2006 18:43

These are all the Arthur Rates in 1891 Arthur Rate Eli,Mary abt 1880 Northwich, Cheshire, England Son Openshaw Lancashire Arthur Rate John,Emma abt 1876 Morcott, Rutland, England Son Morcott Rutland Arthur H Rate Thomas,Susannah abt 1880 Morcott, Rutland, England Son Glaston Rutland What ocupation does it give for Arthur? What are the witnesses names? Mags

Esta

Esta Report 4 Aug 2006 18:45

Have you concidered a Scottish connection ? What was arthurs occupation ?....Might be worth seeing if you can any possibles on 1901 that way ! Witneses on MC ?

Vikki Brace

Vikki Brace Report 4 Aug 2006 19:04

Hi Thanks for the replys The witnesses were Arthur Rate - Margarets father and Annie Elizabeth Rate - relationship unknown Arthurs occupation is sawyer Vikkix

Mags & Nicky

Mags & Nicky Report 4 Aug 2006 19:20

Hmm! What was the exact date of the marriage, might be worth seeing what they've transcribed it as on the original image. Margaret

Mags & Nicky

Mags & Nicky Report 4 Aug 2006 19:24

I need to go now, but I'll have another look later.

Vikki Brace

Vikki Brace Report 4 Aug 2006 19:55

Hi Mags it is shown as Rate on the cert, quite clearly, they married 01st august 1915 vikkix

Fiona

Fiona Report 4 Aug 2006 21:22

Hi, After searching many year for Margaret Rate, even considering she may have lied about being 21 I still can find no birth for her. This little lot might be worth looking into though. 1901. Found son Arthur born dec 1897, dist Camberwell. Name: Arthur Rate Age: 4 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1897 Relation: Son Mother's name: Elizabeth Gender: Male Where born: Camberwell Civil parish: Camberwell Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch County/Island: London Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Camberwell Sub-registration district: Peckham ED, institution, or vessel: 59 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 305 Household Members: Name Age Anne Rate 5 Arthur Rate 4 Elizabeth Rate 26 John C Rate 1 Anne Rate Elizabeth abt 1896 Camberwell Daughter Camberwell London Arthur Rate Elizabeth abt 1897 Camberwell Son Camberwell London Elizabeth Rate abt 1875 Deptford Head Camberwell London John C Rate Elizabeth abt 1900 Camberwell Son Camberwell London Marriage for parent after the birth of daughter Anne. Surname First name(s) District Vol Page -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marriages Sep 1897 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ..........>RATE Arthur Henry Camberwell 1d 1503 Trowbridge Henrietta Camberwell 1d 1503 .........>Ward Elizabeth Camberwell 1d 1503 White Nathaniel Ross Camberwell 1d 1503 A possibility is that Anne could be Margaret Anne Ward or she could be the Annie Elizabeth that was one of the Witnesses. As for Margaret, if not Margaret Anne then it may be possible the family adopted her and she went by the name of Rate. Off course this could be completely wrong!!

Fiona

Fiona Report 4 Aug 2006 21:37

Elizabeth in Peckham in 1891 also. Name: Elizabeth Ward Age: 16 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1875 Relation: Daughter Father's name: Robert Mother's name: Anne Gender: Female Where Born: Deptford Civil parish: Camberwell Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch Town: Peckham County/Island: London Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Camberwell Sub registration district: Peckham ED, institution, or vessel: 48 Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Anne Ward 36 Charles Ward 15 Elizabeth Ward 16 Fred Ward 5 John Ward 9 Robert Ward 37 Now 1901 is confusing, Image says the relationship to head is Brother or sister. There is a margaret though. Name: Fred Ward Age: 14 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887 Relation: Brother Gender: Male Where born: Camberwell, London, England Civil parish: Camberwell Ecclesiastical parish: St Chrysostom County/Island: London Country: England Street address: Occupation: Condition as to marriage: Education: Employment status: View image Registration district: Camberwell Sub-registration district: Peckham ED, institution, or vessel: 32 Neighbors: View others on page Household schedule number: 132 Household Members: Name Age Fred Ward 14 John Ward 19 Margaret Ward 7 Robert Ward 50

Vikki Brace

Vikki Brace Report 5 Aug 2006 09:07

Thanks everyone for taking the time to have a look. I spent last night going through my notes and it seems that the rate family were 'travellers'. Could have come from Ireland but apparently thats just a guess.......I guess i'm stuffed. Thanks again though everyone - I'll wait til 2012 for the next census, maybe they will be on there. vikkix

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Aug 2006 10:00

Have you tried Wrate - I know of a family with this name. Or even Wraight?

Mags & Nicky

Mags & Nicky Report 5 Aug 2006 11:36

Here are the only other Margaret's births I can find, these would make her very young though! Margaret Mary Wraight 1902 Jul-Aug-Sep Fulham Margaret May Wraight 1902 Jul-Aug-Sep Fulham (Probably the same person, just not clear on middle name) Alice Margaret A Wraight 1898 Apr-May-Jun Canterbury or this one a bit closer? Could be I suppose. I haven't look in any Wales census as yet. Margaret Ann Vate* 1895 Jan-Feb-Mar Pontypool Gwent, Monmouthshire and also these Margaret Phu[P_]Rate 1873 Oct-Nov-Dec Sunderland Durham, Tyne And Wear Alice Margaret Rate 1899 Apr-May-Jun Salford Greater Manchester, Lancashire

Barbara

Barbara Report 5 Aug 2006 13:58

Hi Vikki, Not sure if this is of any help but may be useful for future reference. I have the 1891 CDs for London and found an Arthur Rate age 16 living in Peckham. The handwriting is not very clear, maybe someone else could take a look at the page. RG12/483 fo61b Parish: Christchurch, Peckham, Camberwell. The address is not very clear but could be Brixton Road. Jo....... Rate, head, m. bn Leicester. Occupation could be patent leather japanner, bn Leicester (not sure whether the marks on the occupation line are supposed to be dittos!) Jane Rate, wife, m. 40 bn Camberwell, London John H. Roy, son, 21 bn Kent Blackheath? Could be same occupation as father. ARTHUR RATE, s. 16, bn Peckham, occupation .....? maker. Regards Barbara

Christine

Christine Report 5 Aug 2006 14:22

Barbara's 1891 find as transcribed on ancestry Name: Jane Kate Age: 40 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1851 Relation: Wife Spouses's Name: John H Where Born: Camberwell, London, England Civil parish: Camberwell Ecclesiastical parish: Christchurch Town: Peckham County: London Registration district: Camberwell Sub registration district: Peckham Household Members: Arthur Kate 16 rake maker, born Peckham Jane Kate 40 (born Camberwell) John H Kate 56 (born Leicester) John R Kate 21 - looks like John R Roy, born Blaxleyheath Kent Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 483; Folio 61; Page 64 Address: 109 Cornside? Street Looks like John died in 1898 Name: John Rate Birth Date: abt 1832 Year of Registration: 1898 Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec Age at death: 66 District: Camberwell (1837-1919) County: London, Surrey Volume: 1d Page: 518

Christine

Christine Report 5 Aug 2006 14:42

1881 for Arthur Name: Arthur H. Rale (image looks like Rate) Age: 6 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1875 Relation: Son Father's name: John Mother's name: Sarah K. Where Born: New Cross Civil parish: Camberwell County: London Street address: 15 Oswald Terrace Registration district: Camberwell Sub registration district: Peckham Household Members: Arthur H. Rale 6 John Rale 48 (builder) born Leicestershir Sarah K. Rale 49 born Kent - can't make out town. John and Sarah are on earlier census returns, with more children. Arthur H Rate would fit in with the marriage found earlier to Elizabeth Ward. Name: Arthur Henry Rate Year of Registration: 1897 Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep District: Camberwell (1837-1919) County: London, Surrey Volume: 1d Page: 1503

Christine

Christine Report 7 Jul 2016 23:56

hello
I think you are talking about margaret b. 1894. (my mother's aunt) I think her mother was Elizabeth Ward who subsequently married Arthur Rate in 1897. Did you try looking for birth certificates under her mother's maiden name? I think you will find her there. If you are interested in finding out more on the Rate family please let me know.cr

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Jul 2016 00:36

Christine

This thread is 10 years old so I doubt that Vikki is still looking for replies.

You could try clicking on her name and sending a private message. If she still has the same email address she will be informed by Genes that she has a message from you.

In case Vikki does come back to the thread (which I doubt) this looks like the Rates in the 1911 census:-

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
32 Penarth St Peckham Camberwell S E, Camberwell, London, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Occupation Age Birth year Birth place

Arthur H Rate Head Married Male Wood Sawyer 36 1875 London New Cross Deptford
Elizabeth Rate Wife Married Female - 36 1875 London Deptford
Margaret Rate Daughter Single Female Tin Canister Maker 17 1894 London Peckham
Annie Rate Daughter - Female - 14 1897 London Peckham
Arthur Rate Son - Male School 13 1898 London Peckham
John Rate Son - Male School 10 1901 London Peckham
Ellen Rate Daughter - Female School 8 1903 London Peckham
Fred Rate Son - Male School 6 1905 London Rotherhithe
Sarah Rate Daughter - Female - 2 1909 London Peckham
Isabella Rate Daughter - Female - 0 1911 London Peckham
----------

Possibly Margaret's birth under her mother's maiden name:-