Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hit a Dead End.....Help please Lythe England

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nancy

Nancy Report 10 May 2006 23:27

Thanks to my grandmother's notes I've got names of many relatives. No dates until I searched and found them, but now have hit a brick wall. I've found the christening dates on IGI but not birth dates - where did I I take the wrong turn??? William Ward married Mary Coverdale Dec 14 1784 Lythe (Whitby) Yorkshire England. - can't find birth dates.or death. - Supposedly on William's headstone in a Lythe Churchyard it states he died in the war in Spain ( UGH!! ) & Mary stayed widowed for 30 yrs. One son known - Thomas- married Sarah Jane Waller ( registered as Jane) on Nov 28, 1813 Can't find their birth dates or death Thomas married Sarah Jane Waller, also of Lythe England . they came to Canada in 1832. Their son also named Thomas was 12 years old when they came. TThomas & Sarah Jane had 11 Children. 1) Mary – christened Sept 4, 1814 - Died in England 2) Elizabeth: christened Jan 29 1822-married Mr.Coldstone, - children were Mary, Jane, Amos, Robert, Annie 3) Jane christened March 19, 1816 - Married Mr. Sharpe and was widowed, then married Mr. Fitzsimmions, they moved to Australia and lived there with their children 4) Annie - christened Dec 22, 1827 - never married 5) William –christened Jan 9, 1824 -Married ( ?) their children were William , Annie, Audis 6) Helen ( Margaret) christened Feb 14,1818 -married Mr. Brodbent and lived in Buffalo NY. 7) Mary-Coverdale: christened Aug 1, 1830 -married Mr. Gardham they only had on child John. They lived in Montreal Quebec 8) Marron ( Marian) christened Jan 28,1826 - Married Mr. Pickles- They had no children 9) Thomas born in Jan 1820 Christened Jan 7,1820 - Married Mary Mark of Richelieu Quebec in 1839 I also think I found William father and mother but dont know how to verify that....Suggestions / Help are welcom What I found was: Isaac Ward & Elizabeth - wilth William's christening July 14, 1757 Lythe England. I also found Isaac's birth ( supposedly ) about 1730 Ulster.... Ireland and Elizabeth ( no last name) about 1755 of Ireland. As I said if someone out there could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Nancy. PS - How would I get the Churchyard in Lythe England - haven't got a clue which one it would be.

Unknown

Unknown Report 10 May 2006 23:48

This site always crunches up the first posting in a new thread, so I have taken the liberty of copying and pasting and will try to answer your queries. Q1: I've found the christening dates on IGI but not birth dates - where did I I take the wrong turn??? A: You didn't. Christening records, in parish registers, did sometimes have birth dates, but this wasn't usual. Before civil registration in 1837, there will be many relatives whose birth dates you might never know. The IGI is incomplete. Any baptisms, marriages or burials you can't find there will be in the relevant parish registers. Q2: I also think I found William father and mother but dont know how to verify that....Suggestions / Help are welcom A: I don't know which William you mean amongst that lot. Sometimes with early parish records it is impossible to tell if you have the right person. Q3: Irish records are few and far between on the internet. I think you have to go to Ireland to look things up. Q4: How would I get the Churchyard in Lythe England - haven't got a clue which one it would be. A:Not sure what you mean. www.streetmap(.)co.uk has a Lythe in the Orkney Islands, one in North Yorkshire and one in Lancashire. Since your information suggests Yorkshire I guess that's the right one. Burial records will be in the county records office. nell

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 10 May 2006 23:52

Hi Nancy, you seem to be doing very well! Before 1837 and the introduction of the civil registration the only records available to give 'birth dates' are the baptisms. You may be lucky and sometimes on the baptism entry is does give the actual birth date but more than often it doesnt and you have to make do with the baptism date. Suzanne

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 10 May 2006 23:56

The familyhistoryonline website has the National Burial Index available to search for free but pay per view for details. It says it covers Burials in Lythe (North Yorkshire) from 1761-1837 (not sure how complete it is) and also not sure if these dates are relevant for the info your aftre? Suzanne

Nancy

Nancy Report 11 May 2006 11:19

Thanks Suzanne & Helen. The William I was referring to is the one that married Mary Coverdale in 1784. And its his headstone I am attempting ot find. Lythe ( Whitby) North Yorkshire England is where I am searching. Q1) Where would I find the county records office? is this on line or do I us snail mail? Q2) By parish - do you mean the Church or parish as in county/town? Q3)Have you or anyone you know ever used Ancestry.com and if so was there a lot of detailed information. I've been hesitant to register with them seeing as how much is on the internet for free. Q4) I've also noticed books and CD's of cencus's, registars etc - what is this all about and how is it usful I'm sorry for all these questions but up until a month ago, all my research was by word of mouth with mum , dad, aunts and uncles. So all this info out there is just astounding me. Thanks Nancy

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 11 May 2006 16:47

Hi Nancy, I have managed to track down some Lythe records on Ancestry. Baptism, 3rd Feb 1754, Mary d Thomas & Mary Coverdale of Lythe Baptism 15th Sept 1785 (birth 13th Sept 1785) Margaret d of William & Mary Ward of L, mariner (buried 1st May 1787) Baptism 11th May 1787, (birth 12th April 1787), William s of ditto Baptism 31st October 1792 (birth 7th October 1792) Thomas son of ditto. Baptism 21st November 1797 (birth 21st November 1797) son of ditto (I reckon he was stillborn or expired soon after as he was baptised so quickly and see the following) Baptism 22nd November 1798 (birth 15th November 1798) John son of ditto. It was not unusual to replace a lost child with another of the same name in those days. Marriage 28th November 1813, William Waller and Sarah Jane Waller. Wit: William Waller, Hannah Addison, Thomas Coverdale and John Jackson. I couldn't find births for Sarah Waller or William Ward so they may have been in another Parish. Not quite a dead end yet!!! Regards Kate

Sharyn

Sharyn Report 27 Feb 2015 15:42

Hi Nancy,

Although your post is from years ago I thought it worth a go trying to contact you

Thomas Ward & Sarah Waller are my 5th great grandparents

i would love to compare notes with you

Regards
Sharyn Ward nee Westwood

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Feb 2015 15:55

To try to contact Nancy, click on her name and send a message

If her e-mail is unchanged from 2006, she will be notified

Sharyn

Sharyn Report 28 Feb 2015 11:37

Thank you Jacqueline :-)