Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Wain

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diana

Diana Report 24 Mar 2005 18:37

My father was Eric Wain born 1915 with a younger brother Samuel Gordon Wain. They came originally from Wirksworth and their Parents were John and Annie (Staples) Wain, don't have any earlier history.

Nancy

Nancy Report 14 Aug 2015 23:05

Hi Diana, i am looking for my grandfathers family. His name was James Douglas Steeples or misread as Staples in some census. He left England for Australia when he was a teenager so we lost contact with our English relatives except for his sister Aunty Annie Wain (Hannah Maria Steeples). I know that Annie married John R Wain in 1911 in Southwell, Nottinghamshire. They had a son Eric Wain born 1914?, Belper and Samuel Gordon born 1921 in Belper, Derbyshire. My aunt visited Aunty Annie in 1953 where she met Gordon. They were living in Derby. Aunty Annie's father was Samuel Steeples born 1863 and her mother was Louisa Page born 1861. Samuel was born in Wirksworth. I am hoping we have a connection. I look forward to your reply.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Aug 2015 00:06

Nancy,

This thread is more than 10 years old so I'm pretty sure Diana won't see your post.

You could try clicking on her name and sending a private message. If she still has the same email address she will be notified that she has a message from you - but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Kath. x

Nancy

Nancy Report 14 Nov 2015 05:51

Thanks Kath, i did as you suggested and got a reply. I travelled from New Zealand to England in September and met up with Diana and her siblings. I have since met more of my English relatives. So happy!

Regards
Nancy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Nov 2015 14:37

So pleased to hear you managed to contact and then meet up with Diana. I didn't think it was likely when it was more than 10 years since Diana posted but just goes to show it's always worth trying to contact people with trees on here even if they don't use the site much.

Good luck with your research.

Kath. x