Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorce papers

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amanda

Amanda Report 23 Apr 2014 14:17

How would I go about finding divorce papers. I have discovered that my grandfather was married before as was my grandmother and I also have their other spouses details but I do. It know when or even if they legally divorced, so would be interested in discovering this information?
Thank you

jax

jax Report 23 Apr 2014 15:06

If it was before 1937 you may find something on

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/divorce.htm

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Apr 2014 15:30

What does their marriage cert say about their 'status'?

Have you tried looking for deaths for the previous spouses?

Amanda

Amanda Report 23 Apr 2014 15:58

Sorry I am doing this I between customers, I'm a therapist. Thank you max will have a look on there maybe tonight and Reggie the first wife did die many years later and I know from their children's marriage certificate they wrote him off as dead even though he was alive. Which makes me wonder if he did get divorced at all and my grandmother I think her previous husband died in 1940 so she was legal to we'd. The marriage status said I think single for my nan and divorced for my grandad but I think they lippmay be telling fibs and wanted tomseemfor myself.

Amanda

Amanda Report 23 Apr 2014 20:15

Comes back with no results. I will have to see if I can get some help on one of the other forums. Thanks

jax

jax Report 23 Apr 2014 20:25

Not sure what help you are after....some names may help

Flip

Flip Report 23 Apr 2014 20:30

Try reading the guidelines here - may give you some idea of what to do.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/divorce.htm

Some are available on ancestry, but only early ones, so it depends on the years you are looking at.

Amanda

Amanda Report 23 Apr 2014 21:01

Ok thanks flip will do. I didn't put details had as I think it says on one of the beginning messages don't ask for look ups on this particular forum.. I can let you have them though if you think you may be able to help?

Amanda

Amanda Report 23 Apr 2014 21:01

Ok thanks flip will do. I didn't put details had as I think it says on one of the beginning messages don't ask for look ups on this particular forum.. I can let you have them though if you think you may be able to help?

jax

jax Report 23 Apr 2014 21:11

No one normally takes any notice of the sticked message at the top of the board so just carry on... same people reply to look ups here as well as any of the other boards

Flip

Flip Report 23 Apr 2014 22:22

I was just trying to highlight the problems you would have in tracing a divorce (or not - as many marriages were bigamous in the past!). It really was for the couple to declare their mariatial status, and I don't think any checks were carried out, it relied on their word - or the local vicars knowledge! I was married in the early 1970s and didn't have to provide proof on my identy or my mariatial status.

I actually found a 1911 census for a "couple" where the enumerator wrote on the form that she was single and the father was married to xxx, great result for that search.

Like Jax says, if you want any help you will need to post up details - assuming the people in question are deceased by now.

Amanda

Amanda Report 24 Apr 2014 09:22

Yes they are both deceased. Here goes William Henry Briggs born 1884 died 1964 hackney. First married to Lydia Sally Stump born 1893 died 28/8/1975 hackney they married in all saints church Clapton on 17/11/1911.
Williams second wife was Rebecca E Belsham born 1887 died 1965 hackney. Her first husband was Henry Cox born 1884 mile end died 11/9/1940 south gate they were married St Mary Etonian church Hackney.
In a lot of census papers before my grandmother was actually married to my grandfather but were living with children together she would call herself Lydia and Eleanor so was very confusing but then realised that she was probably putting Lydia as this was her husbands actual wife's name at that particular time. They were married I believe 10/91949 in Hackney registry office.

Hope that helps. Thank you

jax

jax Report 24 Apr 2014 14:37

If the 2nd marriage didn't occur until 1949, then they may have divorced after 1937? and as mentioned at the national archives, hardly any records have survived from then

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 24 Apr 2014 15:21

From the National Archives.........

The survival rate of divorce case files is:

1858-1927: almost 100%
1928-1937: 80%
After 1937 : less than 0.2%

I have 2 known divorces between 1946 / 1952, (my parents & my inlaws) unfortunately the records for them are no longer available.

You could apply to see if there is a decree nisi & absolute which would prove a divorce took place, but that is rather pricey for very little info (dates,names addresses,no divorce details) I understand it costs around £60 for this slip of paper!

Joan.

Amanda

Amanda Report 24 Apr 2014 15:39

Oh ok, thanks for that. What a shame would love to know for sure if they got divorced and what the docs stated. Thanks again for your help

Amanda

Oh ok, thanks for that. What a shame would love to know for sure if they got divorced and what the docs stated. Thanks again for your help

Amanda

Flip

Flip Report 24 Apr 2014 23:15

They may never have divorced, just gone their separate ways. Looking at their history, I doubt they divorced - not least in the early days of their relationship.

Lydia was on her own (with other Stumps) from 1923 ERs - which would have been the earliest date she would have been entitled to vote, so not sure of where she was prior to this. Although it looks like she went on to have more children between 1924 & 1929.

William & Rebecca were together from at least 1921 on the ERs and the son William born in 1922 was registered under the names of Cox & Briggs so they were obviously together by then.

Are you sure of the death for Mr Cox - he married as Henry Herbert, but was on 1911 census as Herbert Henry - a fish fryer which matched with the marriage occupation. Have you checked for a remarriage for him? Also, did you notice there was an earlier child for Rebecca, born before their marriage (Ivy Emily age 2 and not recorded as their child on the census)

Also, have you checked for military records for either husband - had a quick look but couldn't find anything obvious, but may be something there.

Out ancestors certainly don't make things easy do they!
;-)

Amanda

Amanda Report 25 Apr 2014 09:38

Hi Flip, yes it's a confusing family. I think WIlliam got Lydia pregnant when she was under age working at a sweet factor he married her when they were legal aged and went on to have children a lot of which died young so that must have put a strain on the marriage. Both my grandfather went on to have children with REbecca who had previous children from HErbert. But I noticed Lydia also went on to have children but no father was named, which is also the case for her first child with William I'm guessing if she out his age when she was under age he could of been arrested. But I do wonder if he had both of the women at the time as in 1924 when my father was born to Rebecca and William, Lydia also,had a child named Thomas A who does not have the father recorded on the birth certificate.

I did have the birth for Ivy Emily born 1909 is that the one you were referring to for Rebecca's child?

I haven't checked medical records. I was always told that William and a brother ran away and joined the army under age whether this is true I don't know and apparently the family didn't want anything to do with him when he returned as the younger brother that he took with him lost his sight ( it's probably all made up mind you)

Amanda

Amanda Report 25 Apr 2014 10:14

Oh meant to say yes Herbert Henry was a fish fryer died of heart attack 11/9/1940 in south gate death reported by nephew I believe that was the same person.