Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CAN YOU HELP PLEASE?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donna

Donna Report 9 Nov 2005 09:29

I have been researching my mums side of the family and it has started to get more difficult as they all now seem to originate from Scotland and Ireland. I have been on Scotlands people looking for them but it gets quite expensive does anyone know if Scotland have their census on cds and how much they are , and Ireland too I am subscribed to Ancestry one payment loads of fun....Scotlands people forever emptying your pocket . Regards Donna

Georgina

Georgina Report 9 Nov 2005 09:59

Donna I have the 1881 scottish census on discs if you need a lookup. Georgina.

Donna

Donna Report 9 Nov 2005 10:40

Hi Georgina Thank you for answering my plea....i have a John Wallace born 1862 Kirkintilloch he married a Jane Bunting .They were married 1n 1883 i have addresses from marriage cert which are 20 murano steet Glasgow (John) and 55 Cedar Street for Jane .Johns parents were William Wallace and Agnes McCullock and Janes were John Bunting and Sarah McGovern hope this enough info for you,and hope you dont mind looking ,if you need any help any time with ancestry i would be only too pleased to help. By the way are the discs expensive and how far back can you get census discs as i have others going further back and am stuck on them .Once again thanks in advance Warm Regards Donna

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 9 Nov 2005 10:55

Hi Donna, sorry nothing to do with your question but just had to comment on the co-incidence....my Gran lived in 55 Cedar St! Good luck finding your rellies Christine :-)

Donna

Donna Report 9 Nov 2005 13:40

Hi Christine That is a coincidence can i ask you were those houses like terraced houses...and where abouts was Cedar Street...i have a great aunt that still lives in Glasgow Maryhill....i have never been but doing the family tree makes you want to visit all the places you find....thanks for answering Donna

PennyDainty

PennyDainty Report 9 Nov 2005 13:54

Hi Donna, Cedar Street was in the Maryhill area of Glasgow, going towards the Cowcaddens end. The streets in that area were all called after trees....Cedar St, Palm St, Myrtle St...etc. I was born in Myrtle St. The houses there were tenement flats, with many families staying up a 'close' (stair with different flats on different storeys) Some of the flats were just a room and kitchen, which held quite large families, or what were known as 'single ends', basically just one room. The toilets were out on the stair and many families shared the one loo! The area was demolished in the early 1960's and there are high flats around that area now. Hope that's helpful Christine

Georgina

Georgina Report 9 Nov 2005 14:47

Donna this is the only John Wallace born in Kirkintillock around 1862 (unless he has put down a different place of birth on the census) Dwelling: 21 Wesleyan St Census Place: Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0203633 GRO Ref Volume 644-2 EnumDist 4 Page 11 Marr Age Sex Birthplace Edward WALLACE M 26 M Kirkintilloch, Dunbarton, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Pipe Moulder Marion WALLACE M 23 F Kirkintilloch, Dunbarton, Scotland Rel: Wife John WALLACE U 19 M Kirkintilloch, Dunbarton, Scotland Rel: Brother Occ: Pipe Moulder Georgina.

Georgina

Georgina Report 9 Nov 2005 14:54

These are the only Bunting's on Cedar Street in 1881... Dwelling: 73 Cedar St Census Place: Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0203658 GRO Ref Volume 644-8 EnumDist 54 Page 19 Marr Age Sex Birthplace John BUNTING M 46 M Maryhill, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Ship Carpenter Isabella BUNTING M 44 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Wife John BUNTING 13 M Maryhill, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Scholar Archibald BUNTING 11 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Scholar William BUNTING 7 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Scholar Elizabeth BUNTING 5 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Daur Occ: Scholar Do you know what year Mary Bunting was born? There were Wallace's living next door to the Buntings... Dwelling: 74 Cedar St Census Place: Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0203664 GRO Ref Volume 644-9 EnumDist 95 Page 4 Marr Age Sex Birthplace George WALLACE M 28 M Oswald, Kinross, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Cabinet Maker Jane WALLACE M 29 F Ireland Rel: Wife Mary WALLACE 7 F Oswald, Kinross, Scotland Rel: Daur David WALLACE 5 M Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Son Wm. WALLACE 3 M Renfrew, Scotland Rel: Son George WALLACE 1 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Son Georgina.

Donna

Donna Report 9 Nov 2005 15:49

Hi Georgina I was given this info written by my aunt when she visited my great aunt a couple of months ago as we all live in Leicester my aunt dare not ask our great aunt if she could borrow the birth and other certs so she scribbled it down if i write it from present day backwards for you and see if i have missed anything out my great grandparents were William Wallace( no birth year) and Agnes Walker Reid Blain (Wallace being her married name) she was born 1895 2.30am at 64 Agnes Street Glasgow. Then i have Williams father John Wallce married 7th Dec registered 10th Dec 1883 lived 20 Murano Street he was 23 at time of marriage , Jane Bunting was 19 at time of marriage and lived 55 Cedar Street on there also were the names Hugh Bunting and Mary Shaw Nee Murray (or vice versa ) i have been on scotlands people and found birth cert for Jane which is as follows Jane Bunting born 1865 May 30th at 11.30 am at 9 Whitelaw Street Maryhill father John Bunting Gen moulderer Sarah Bunting (S McGovern) married 1864 July 15th Maryhill registered June 15th. Then i have William Wallace House Painter and Joiner Agnes McCullock as Johns parents Sorry its not a lot to go on but thanks for looking for me anyway really appreciate it warm regards Donna

Georgina

Georgina Report 9 Nov 2005 22:18

Ok Donna here is the Bunting Family in 1881. I will see if I can find the others. Dwelling: Boyd Street Census Place: Falkirk, Stirling, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0203539 GRO Ref Volume 479-1 EnumDist 14 Page 19 Marr Age Sex Birthplace John BUNTING M 39 M Maryhill, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Iron Moulder Sarah BUNTING M 38 F Rothesay, Bute, Scotland Rel: Wife Jane BUNTING U 15 F Maryhill, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Daur Occ: Scholar Sarah BUNTING U 13 F Maryhill, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Daur Occ: Scholar Martha BUNTING U 10 F Maryhill, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Daur Occ: Scholar John BUNTING U 8 M Falkirk, Stirling, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Scholar Edward BUNTING U 6 M Falkirk, Stirling, Scotland Rel: Son Occ: Scholar Robert BUNTING U 1 M Falkirk, Stirling, Scotland Rel: Son Wm. MOFFAT U 30 M Maryhill, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Boarder Occ: Iron Moulder Patrick MC GUIRE U 20 M Maryhill, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Boarder Occ: Iron Moulder Georgina.

Donna

Donna Report 9 Nov 2005 22:55

Hi Georgina Many thanks on finding the Buntings for me really appreciate it if i can repay you any time just let me know....cant believe they are in Stirling ....but then again its not that far from Glasgow is it? Have to start doing a bit of geography as well now. Thanks once again Georgina. warm regards Donna

Georgina

Georgina Report 9 Nov 2005 23:03

Donna I cant put my finger on the Wallace family in 1881 (too many John's born around 1860-1865) but according to the IGI these are the children born to William Wallace & Agnes Mcculloch 1. JEAN WALLACE - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Birth: 05 OCT 1857 Kirkintilloch, Dunbarton, Scotland 2. MARGARET WALLACE - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Birth: 13 NOV 1859 Kirkintilloch, Dunbarton, Scotland 3. MARY WALLACE - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Birth: 28 DEC 1864 Kirkintilloch, Dunbarton, Scotland 4. MARY WALLACE - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Birth: 30 APR 1869 Kirkintilloch, Dunbarton, Scotland 5. MALCOM WALLACE - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Birth: 02 FEB 1855 Kirkintilloch, Dunbarton, Scotland 6. ELISABETH WALLACE - International Genealogical Index Gender: Female Birth: 30 APR 1869 Kirkintilloch, Dunbarton, Scotland 7. JAMES WALLACE - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Birth: 31 MAY 1866 Kirkintilloch, Dunbarton, Scotland 8. JOHN WALLACE - International Genealogical Index Gender: Male Birth: 03 MAR 1862 Kirkintilloch, Dunbarton, Scotland I have found Malcolm on the 1881 census... Dwelling: Main Street Gartshores Land Census Place: Bathgate, Linlithgow, Scotland Source: FHL Film 0203706 GRO Ref Volume 662-2 EnumDist 3 Page 27 Marr Age Sex Birthplace Malcolm WALLACE M 26 M Bothwell, Lanark, Scotland Rel: Head Occ: Coal Miner Agnes WALLACE M 25 F Whitburn, Linlithgow, Scotland Rel: Wife Jane WALLACE 4 F Torphichen, Linlithgow, Scotland Rel: Daur Barbara WALLACE 2 F Torphichen, Linlithgow, Scotland Rel: Daur John WALLACE 4 m M Armadale, Linlithgow, Scotland Rel: Son James MC NEIL U 22 M Whitburn, Linlithgow, Scotland Rel: Boarder Occ: Coal Miner Georgina.