General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Excluding Florence in the Hebrides

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Apr 2014 15:42

It is just sinking in that I can go out on any day of the week and not have to come home early.

I could meet an awful lot of people on here for a cup of tea sometime.

Any takers?

We had a power cut this morning and I didn't care. No care arrangements to make, no air mattress and profiling bed to worry about!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Apr 2014 15:49

If nothing else Sharron the not worrying when you have a power cut will be a huge relief. If I lived your side of the country I'd willingly meet you for a cuppa but I guess we are a bit too far away.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Apr 2014 15:52

Things will slowly sink in now when you realise you dont have to worry and run around like a blue ???? fly cos the power has gone orf etc.

Its will be tinged though with I wish cos dad would still be here .

I know we did find it difficult to get back to "normal" after MIL died cos every weekend was a 60mile round trip to see her in hospital and then at her home till she passed away.
I do remember at one time thinking I am tired of this!! I was working full time and the weekends where busy times BUT then had a VERY guilty feeling that if we werent doing the same old then it would mean she had gone . I didnt want that for OH or his family .

Its getting back your life knowing they arent there anymore that is difficult knowing that means they have gone .

Take one day at a time is the best way we found

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Apr 2014 16:04

When our dad Fred was very ill he had his bedroom downstairs too in one of the two sitting rooms of their Victorian terrace. He had had prostate cancer which the prostrate had been removed BUT no one had been told it was cancer
In 3 months he took poorly and was no longer able to climb the stairs to their bedroom so mum got a single bed brought downstairs to the sitting room where he eventually passed away .

Mum did put the room back to being a daily sitting room but it was never the same I used to feel dad there when I visited BUT Mum felt comfortable sitting in the room every evening watching TV.

Its getting back on even keel that takes the time I guess

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Apr 2014 19:00

I'm up for it Sharron - that is, if you want to endure me again :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Apr 2014 19:05

Fred was in one of one sitting rooms.

I think I had had time to let him go gradually and spent three hours here on my own with the body having watched the life leave it without any problem.

We never were in each other's pockets so I don't think the hole will be enormous. His mate, however, might be a different story. He is a kind, sensitive man who may well need some support.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 19 Apr 2014 19:40

When my Dad died I was absolutely amazed at how many friends he had, it did seem "wrong" to me for a long time that I didn't need to take him shopping or buy seeds etc for the garden.
Oddly though I do enjoy going to the grave and having a cuppa and a natter with both Mum and Dad, it was a while before I could do it though.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 Apr 2014 19:41

Sharron if you ever feel you want to get away to somewhere quiet and peaceful and not worry when there's a power cut, then you would be welcome up here anytime!. Would make you fresh scones or one of my delicious victoria sponges.

We had a major power failure on wed eve.only 200,000.00 people were cut off. but i lit 30 candles and carried on as we do!!

i wish that sometimes when i need to be in the company of those that know me well(friends from down south) I could also pop round for a cuppa and a chat but alas there is that stretch of water to cross.

i think you will actually feel a void to begin with as fred took up so much of YOUR time, that now you have your own time, you probably need to have a good think about what you havent been able to do for a while. Maybe when things settle and after the funeral, maybe you would like to take a holiday.

Im sure you will need it and also you most certainly deserve it.

Which part of the mainland are you in?

Anyway, you can always come on here and chat to your cyber friends anytime day or night, someone will always be here.

Take care
Florence
in the hebrides <3 :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Apr 2014 19:48

Florence, I am on the south coast.

I was thinking about places we could go for a day out.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 19 Apr 2014 19:51

Florence, Sharron loves Black Bun, ever made one :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 19 Apr 2014 20:25

I used to make Black bun, it's lovely.

KittytheLearnerCook

KittytheLearnerCook Report 19 Apr 2014 20:52

I would love to, depending on work and grandma duty commitments :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Apr 2014 20:56

Oo Kitty. We could save up and go in the big turd on the sea front.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 19 Apr 2014 22:03

What's a Black Bun? Not heard of that before. Please tell me the recipe so i can try it out.

I was born in Shoreham by sea so am very familiar with the south coast.I love Eastbourne and Hastings.
Anyone for Crazy Golf or a game of Bingo lol?

Emma do you make oven flour scones at all?Rectangle, cut in half and cut into 8 pieces?

Wherever you decide, have fun and send us a stick of rock please!

florence
in the hebrides :-)

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 20 Apr 2014 06:44

Florence, I went to Shoreham when I visited my cousin in Ferring, and thought it a lovely place. Also, as Sharron knows, I spent a crazy summer during which I was 21, working at a holiday camp in Chichester so I always have fond memories of that area of the country. I also had one of my first or maybe it was my first 'meet' with some of the folk off GR. Donna(Strump), Jules, and others were there and it was good fun.

Sharron, if I get to your neck of the woods anytime, I will give you a yell, o.h. is planning more British holidays now as he has gone off flying, so I will be travelling round the country a bit more as well as trying to get away on my own to the sun.

I am sure you will find lots of things to fill your time and as you say Fred's wonderful pal will need a bit of support too It's a good thing the better weather should be coming and the days are longer so he can get out and about and not be stuck in moping, and you can enjoy going out too.

Thinking of you, and your o.h. as he will have more of your time now

Lizxx

Huia

Huia Report 20 Apr 2014 08:15

The title of this thread sounded a bit nasty, but when I read the second line of your OP I fully understood why Florence should be excluded. So should I, even more so than Florence, being on the other side of the world. I have met only 2 or 3 people from GR, one being Persie who lives in Auckland and there was another (no longer on here?) who visited NZ a few years ago.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 20 Apr 2014 12:05

Sharron. I live on the outskirts of Birmingham, but if you are ever in my area I would love to meet you. You would be welcome in our home anytime,.

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Apr 2014 12:12

I wouldn't presume to go to somebody's home. Especially not when I have so much to do to get mine up together now but would love to meet anybody for a pub lunch or a cup of tea out somewhere.

Island

Island Report 20 Apr 2014 12:12

Count me in Paula, I'm not far away lol :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 20 Apr 2014 12:18

Shall we have a little meet somewhere?