General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

So much room

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Apr 2014 10:25

The bed and commode went yesterday. Today the incontinence pads , night bags, leg bags, catheters and sundry other exotica are going to a nursing home.

All highly illicit I think but better they should be used than destroyed.

I think I might hold a masked ball in my front room, it feels huge and spacious!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Apr 2014 10:38

After you've decorated ;-)

A neighbour had the same problem with returning unused items. They even told her that they didn't need the bed back! As her husband had only been ill for a few months, she didn't have the same large stock pile. The unused cans of fortified purée foods ended up at a nursing home.

Even though you're expecting a death, it's still hard clearing away evidence of their existence. Take your time over Fred's personal belongings. Xx

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 23 Apr 2014 14:03

Earlier this year I had to throw away pumps, large plasters and dressings as the District Nurses were unable to take them to be used. All in airtight packaging, it is criminal.

Sharron

Sharron Report 23 Apr 2014 16:56

Poor man turned up expecting a box.

He filled his car and left some behind which I am hoping he will be back for.

I wish I had sent the liquid food stuff down there when he had his peg removed because I am told that it is incredibly expensive, £70+ I am told and that once it has been issued on prescription it will be destroyed.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Apr 2014 18:51

it's great that as much as possible is being reused Sharron, I am sure that would appeal to Fred's thrifty ways.

I have just seen the neighbours here put out a three piece suite, it looks fairly good, wooden surround and dark green leather cushions etc. It looks like rain wil come later. I expect they are waiting for the council to pick it up. Why didn't they put it on freecycle or gumtree so it could be reused. By the time the council come tormorrow? it will be soaking wet and spoiled. Someone would probably be very happy to reuse it.

I hate waste.

Lizxx

p.s. Well done Sharron for sorting things out, does the room echo when you speak in there?

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 24 Apr 2014 09:48

Sharron
Glad you got someone to take the extra supplies so quick.
Do you know I have only JUST got rid of my collection and my OH died almost 3 years ago.
I tried everyone.local nursing homes,hospital,district nurses.
I had boxes of leg bags,night bags, stands,incontinence pull ups,oxygen masks ,tubing,diabetic syringes,sheath catheters....everything sealed.
I did give the pull up pants to my friend who was looking after someone with a problem,but the other stuff I couldn't bring myself to throw away.

I had a visit from my grandson with his new partner a few weeks ago,and she is a nurse in a home,and she took them and was so grateful.
It is disgusting when the service is so hard up that the waste is so much.
Throw away society doesn't fare well with me

Claddagh

Claddagh Report 24 Apr 2014 15:04

When my aunty still lived with me, there was not so much stuff in the house, I.e incontinence pads, bandages etc, but the nursing home where she had to go for the last few months of her life, accepted the above mentioned. What really galls me is, medication that had been over-prescribed, is destroyed if you take it back the the pharmacy. They are not allowed to give it to any other patients. I can fully understand this when certain antibiotics are concerned and other meds that need to be kept in a fridge, but other stuff.....? Criminal waste. One of my daughters used to work as doctors assistant in a group,practice in Amsterdam, before she moved house.There was a wonderful doctor there who helped those without a roof over their heads, and those that come here when fleeing from violence etc in their own country. None have health insurance ( VERY expensive over here), so he helps them, by accepting perfectly good meds, and giving them to to those desperate people.A close friend brought me another large bag two weeks ago.........another daughter who still lives in Amsterdam took them back with her yesterday to give to that lovely GP-IF the good man still works there, more important, is ALIVE!!! He was slowly dying of cancer, bless him. The pharmacy don't even take things like incontinence pads o back to be given to other patients!!! Ditto bandages, plasters etc. Completely bonkers. I will climb off my soap box-for NOW!

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 25 Apr 2014 16:51

Well done Sharron,
I gave all Mums pads and things to a charity for the aged out here, but the bed, shower chair/commode ,wheelchair, lifting belt, and transfer table are still here. We bought them at such cost that I just refuse to give them away so here they will stay. Mind the bed we are going to put in the spare room and considering twice now I have been in a wheelchair and then on crutches we have decided it makes sense to keep the shower and wheelchair.
Spain has the strangest recycling system you put it by the bin and you can be sure it will be gone before you take your next load there. At times it is annoying because the Moroccans grab the stuff to car boot with The other advantage out here is the chairty shops will take all furniture and electrical goods (unlike the UK).
The only place in the UK I got to collect and take furniture like sofas and electrical goods (some obviously new) was the RSPCA.

A masked ball mmmm is that anything but doctors and nurses :-D
As Det said take your time over personal belongings <3