General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is there an Adblocker that works on Windows 10?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan.

Jan. Report 30 Apr 2016 22:34

I've just got a new computer with Windows 10. Is there a suitable adblocker I can use, as the adverts are driving me mad!

Jan.

Jan. Report 1 May 2016 00:16

Just googled and found that Adblock Plus says that they will be bringing one out sometime in the future. Meanwhile - does anyone know and use a similar thing with their Windows 10?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 May 2016 09:34

I wonder if the Firefox and blocker works on W10?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 May 2016 10:20

If you have installed Windows10 using the defaults (especially if it is an upgrade version) or it has come pre-installed then it will be riddled with Microsoft monitoring. Therefore consider a fresh installation keeping monitoring to a minimum - there are plenty of sites listing what to do. The architecture to Edge aka as "advertising delivery platform" makes life very difficult for AdBlock, NoScript etc - it is not just a technical problem but MS legal dept.

There is a method which will cut down advertising a lot. Download a hosts file (plain text) and paste it into the hosts file and your computer - you will need to be in admin mode. This will result in most of the ads not getting served.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/blocking-ads-in-microsoft-edge-via-the-hosts-file-495095.shtml

Another approach is to install Chrome. However Microsoft ( who were fined gazillions over Internet Explorer) appear to be trying to block third party browsers.

http://www.chromestory.com/google-chrome/windows-10/

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 1 May 2016 13:46

I downloaded Adblock plus from the app store works fine with Firefox.

Jan.

Jan. Report 1 May 2016 13:46

Thanks Rollo . I don't feel very confident in downloading a host file, so think I will stick with Firefox for now.

Jan.

Jan. Report 1 May 2016 13:50

Just seen your post Mayfield. Thats what I've decided to do, to use Firefox with the Adblocker , instead of Microsofts Edge. I was trying to get used to Edge, but all the ads were annoying me, as I had been used to using Firefox with the adblocker.
Thanks for your help.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 May 2016 15:06

Firefox uses a sandbox task called "PlugInContainer". Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't the result is massive cpu utilisation and memory grab. Make sure to have yr current version of Firefox saved in case a new build breaks PIC (again).

A very good alternative to Firefox ( and much faster ) is PaleMoon which comes in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. It is a lean and mean browser which has dumped all the legacy code still running in Firefox. Maybe that is why is keeps PIC under control. In any case the legacy code in Firefox 45 is what makes it so dodgy.

Thankfully Firefox will soon abandon the old and broken Gecko web engine for a new one (Servo) built using the Rust language. This is a joint project with Samsung. All addins and plugins will need to be compiled and have a digital signature. Until that happens ( July ? ) Windows 10 users will remain between the rock and the hard place.

As it is for the moment running Firefox on Win10 is a vote for hope against the usual winner the school of hard knocks. If you don't want to spend time and effort getting Edge under control then go for Chrome.

Jan.

Jan. Report 1 May 2016 21:47

Thanks Rollo for all the information. I really don't know too much about computers and like to stick to what I know. I know that isnt always possible though.
I've downloaded Chrome after reading what you said, but haven't looked at it properly yet.

I've still got Firefox but as its a new computer, I haven't downloaded Flash, and some things won't work on Firefox without flash. The techncian man at the shop seemed to think that flash would take up too much memory? Is that right?
However, I have found out that Microsoft 10 doesnt need flash.
So I'm trying to make my mind up between Firefox and Chrome.
Though from what you say, Firefox isnt too good.

If I decide on Chrome, would I be able to transfer all my Favourite sites from Firefox?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 May 2016 22:14

Exporting favorites from Firefox:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/export-bookmarks-internet-explorer

In the UK nearly everybody wants to be able to use BBC iPlayer. The BBC is slowly moving towards html5 for video but a lot of video on their site still uses Flash. This is you want this capability you need to install Flash. Chrome has an add on for Flash which has to be installed manually it is not automatic. Sometimes it won't work unless full Flash is installed (free from their web site) and the cache cleared. If you install full Flash make sure that the "install av option" is off.
Quite a few YouTube channels also use Flash.

Flash uses hardly any memory - that is why it caught on so fast back in the day.
It can be a bit fiddly to get it going on modern machines which is why some techies tend to back out of installing it.

The Servo based version of Firefox is a real blast pity it is not yet avail for Windows. The retail version will ship first for Android, the linux then windows. The speedup makes everything else look like clockwork! 'cos of the use of Rust code it is pretty well bombproof.

Jan.

Jan. Report 1 May 2016 22:28

Thanks again for all your help Rollo. I'll download flash in the next few days when my hubby is around to help me - in case I get stuck!