General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Should I be Chuffed or Miffed?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 30 Apr 2016 22:40

A couple of days ago I went to a fast food restaurant, ordered the meal I was purchasing and went to pay.

I asked the cashier, who was a man in his early thirties, if the company gave a senior's discount.

He said yes, but when I produced the appropriate card his response was, "you don't look old enough to be a senior"

Great, so I got my aged pension card out and he just stared at me.

I should point out that in WA you can get a Senior's Card at aged 60 and the Aged pension at 65.

I was feeling slightly ill-tempered by this time so I sarcastically showed him my Driver's Licence with my photo on it.

"Ok". he said. Then " I can't give you a discount on that as it is on offer and has already been reduced!"

I stared at him and after a quick calculation he said that he COULD give me a discount and proceeded to knock a further 10 cents off the price.

I never ever thought that I would have to show evidence that I am over sixty :-D :-D

Still, I got a discount :-D :-D

It's the principle that counts! ;-) :-D :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Apr 2016 23:30

course it's the principle - years ago me and my OH went to the Royal Welsh show at Builth Wells - on arrival we saw there was discount for Senior Citizens - damn, we thought, we have nothing to prove we are Seniors - reached the gate and the guy gave us Seniors entry prices - we didn't know whether to pleased or mad - we didn't think we looked like Seniors but obviously we did !!!!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 1 May 2016 05:44

on Friday evening, having a laugh with friends, a young man came up to us and said........... "you've made my night, I love to see old people enjoying themselves".

We all thought he didn't want to get any older. :-(

Cheeky bugga.

btw..... he was high as a kite, and smelled like he hadn't had a shower for a week.

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 1 May 2016 06:23

Depending on the restaurant, I get a seniors discount, not that I am one .... yet, but I think it is because I am with my Dad(dy), He'll be 90 next year so he is a tad over 65 :-D Sometimes he doesn't get a seniors discount cause he is with me, so I guess it all works out in the end.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 May 2016 09:15

Isn't it strange. When we're young, we want to be seen as older - sneaking into the pub at 16 etc - who? me? :-D
When we're older, we want to be seen as younger !

My 'driver' is 65, I'm not yet 60, not very wrinkly, though I do have grey hair.
Quite often, if we go to an event where we have to pay, I'll give him my entrance fee (I always pay for myself), he gets both our tickets (just asks for 2, but shows his bus pass). Quite often, he's given two 'senior' tickets :-)

Allan

Allan Report 1 May 2016 10:14

:-D :-D :-D@ AnnC

RMS, Maggie

A few years ago, when I was 60, I persuaded my OH to let her hair grow into its natural colour rather than dyeing it.

She now sports the most magnificent head of silver (not white) hair.

The first event we went to, just after I received my Seniors Card, my OH payed and we both received the Seniors Discount :-D :-D

OH was only 56 at the time!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 May 2016 12:27

By grey, I of course mean silver, Allan - various shades of silver.
A colour one couldn't get out of a bottle :-D :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 1 May 2016 12:54

There is now,t we can do to stop ageing process .I have natural White Hair looks alright nice short cut .when you have a smile on your face it helps to just get on with what we are given .I Thank my lucky stars & count my blessings every day .at least we are so Knowledgable & clever xx.grow old disgracefully enjoy ;-) :-D :-D <3

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 May 2016 13:04

Agree, Barbra :-D
I dyed my hair for years - it was jet black when I was young, but 'serious' white hair started appearing when I was in my 30's, so I spent years dying it a dark brown.
Every few years, I would strip the dye out to see what colour my hair was.
About 3 years ago, I was fairly happy with the colour - but started dying it with a wash-out strawberry blonde - just because I could :-D
Then, last year, I stripped the blonde, and used a silver dye - just the once.
I've had my hair cut quite a bit since then - and know it's now it's 'natural' colour - and I love it :-D

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 1 May 2016 13:59

Well, I'm still 21 ;-) ;-) :-D :-D :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 1 May 2016 14:06

Maggie .x I had dark Hair with reddish tones .I have been every colour ever invented .even wait for this went green, .not my choice :-D had to go out with a headscarf on got a potion to get the whole colour out from a hairdresser I knew .things we do .but decided leave well alone .at least I have some hair I wash & condition my own .have a .good cut local hairdresser happy bunny :-D Think Men sometimes are more vain than women .when they try & bring bits over the top to cover bald patch ..not Allan of course :-D Jem we believe you ;-)

Dermot

Dermot Report 1 May 2016 14:25

Old age is just something we all grow into at a maximum rate of 60 minutes per hour. ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 May 2016 14:50

No Dermot, it's a fact - the older you get, the faster time goes :-(

Dermot

Dermot Report 1 May 2016 14:56

A clock wastes no time.

Janet

Janet Report 1 May 2016 16:04

Back to the topic. I went to a restaurant last Thursday where there were two prices for some meals. The smaller portion for pensioners at £10 and a larger portion for hungry adults at £15. No aggro when ordering simply asked for the pensioners meal. No means testing. No justification of decision. Ample food with enough change for small tip for the server. Win win.

Dermot

Dermot Report 1 May 2016 16:06

One price 'Eat as much as you like' - any of these establishments around yet?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 May 2016 16:12

I know of - and have been to - a couple in Brighton.
It's where my daughter took me for a 'treat' when she was a student there :-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 1 May 2016 16:42

When I was young I always looked younger than I was. I paid half-fare on buses, without any questions being asked, until after I left school - aged 18. :-)

I also went grey very early, like my mother, and didn't fancy trying to dye it. My sister, a whole 3 years younger, didn't go greyso early.

When I was still the right side of 40, my 16 year old son and I went to visit her in Canada. One day she was introducing us to some neighbours, and one asked if I was her mother!! :-( :-( Son of course thought this was hilarious.

LynGinN

LynGinN Report 1 May 2016 17:14

My Mam had champagne blonde hair when she was older, and often used to be asked what colour her hairdresser used. Nothing, she replied, it's natural. She was a natural fiery auburn, and that's the colour it went, instead of grey.
I too have champagne blonde hair now, though I have to have mine dyed - I wasn't lucky enough to have her lovely flame red hair :-D

Allan

Allan Report 1 May 2016 22:30

Now I don't know whether to be chuffed or miffed that this Thread has gone off topic and become a discussion on hair colours :-| ;-) :-D :-D :-D

I f I had any, I'd tear my hair out! :-D :-D :-D :-D