General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What next?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 29 May 2016 20:18

Some of you may know about this...but I have never heard of it...but then I'm old fashioned .......
Pre school for dogs....
Just spoken to son in Oz and they have just purchased a Labradoodle puppy.
I asked how it was going as his wife hasn't been well pleased as Alfie had been doing his business etc in the house...so he has started him at Pre school....I laughed .I said well after pre school do they go to proper school....oh yes there is middle school .Dont know if there is high school and university.!

They have to bond with other dogs and learn not to bully etc.dont know how we ever managed to train our dogs before.

Is it mainly an Oz thing?or maybe American!

:-S :-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 May 2016 20:20

Sounds like a money making scheme to take advantage of new owners. :-0

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 May 2016 20:38

crumbs - wonder if they'll have proms :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 May 2016 22:01

It is common here to send dogs to training sessions with professional dog trainers. Most sessions last several weeks or even 2 or 3 months. The owners have to attend ....... and they are, in fact, also trained along with the dog :-)

I know there are different sessions for untrained young dogs, semi-trained, etc.

There are also trainers who will take on older dogs who have either not been trained or have been badly behaved ......... it could be the last resort before euthanasia.

I wonder if this is what you son was referring to ............. only using his own terms? :-D

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 30 May 2016 10:22

Apparently they are called pre schools I looked it up and it seems that it is the term used for these puppy training sessions.
You have to learn not to rub their noses in their wee.It is cruel...
Wonder what the farmers do with their sheep dogs to train them to the wonderful standards they have?
Suppose they have counselling for dogs as well! And maybe as AnnC says prom days! :-) :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 30 May 2016 12:58

there are sessions where your dog meets other dogs,socially

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 30 May 2016 16:41

Tales of the Great Orme - how to train your seagull

http://qi.com/infocloud/gulls
http://adrian-learnsomethingneweveryday.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/26-feb-2012-seagulls-in-wwi-trained-to.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIioCuZczUM

woof :-)

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 30 May 2016 21:37

lol Rollo!!,

Think tomorrow is D day...net should be fitted at last!

Great Orme very busy today...loads of people feeding the gulls.

There will be more and more gulls every year,and am hoping I won't be bothered with them!

Should I get a puppy to chase them away?.
Would have to find a pre school to train it though as dont think I've got the qualification to teach dogs...unless it's how to play the piano! :-S

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 30 May 2016 21:41

See you on Britain's got Talent when you have done that then, Brenda lol

Lizx