General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

So Far This Site is Awful

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 10 Jan 2024 20:53

Hi folks,

Does anything work around here?

I've just joined and tried to upload a GEDCOM which has successfully uploaded to about 7 other sites. It won't upload. Tried doing a new one and it appeared to upload but no tree ever appears.

Tried to contact Support and there's an error message appearing when you click submit.

Truly awful compared to other sites I'm on. :-|

Definitely going to ask for my money back. Super waste of cash.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Jan 2024 21:10

Stephen

It can take several days to get a response. Idon’tthink anyone has said anything about not being able to send messages to support - probably because most of us know about the wait for a reply.

Try starting another thread about your Gedcom problem and hopefully someone will know what to do. There are a number of threads where people have had difficulties.

I do wonder why you are putting your tree on so many sites. This site is very good for getting help in your research.

You may not get your money back if you decide to go ahead and cancel as you have used these boards.

Stephen

Stephen Report 10 Jan 2024 21:29

It'll take forever to get a response as there's an error message that it didn't get sent so I'm saying that I can't send a message to support.

Why would you wonder about putting it on so many sites? I put a GEDCOM on many sites as people don't use just the one site. People use many different sites on personal preference. If they use this site in preference to say Ancestry where my main tree is (due to using the FTM software), they'll not see it or have matches with it so therefore won't contact me. With my tree here they will and can.

I've been researching for nigh on 20 years I would say and I research in many different places. If you stick to one site you're loosing out on hundreds of possible leads. Different sites have different records that they have paid for so have different results. Also different sites have different members hence difefrent trees so there may be a relative here that's found some information that no other has. If I didn't have a tree here I wouldn't know that.

I won't get my money back beacuse I've used the boards? Fair enough it was only £20. They'll get no more.

I'll put another thread on regarding the GEDCOM problem.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Jan 2024 22:08

Hopefully someone who knows the gedcom issues will spot your thread over the next few days.

I still haven’t added up all the sites with trees I know up to seven. You will find that people on this site don’t use it for research, they use the other main sites. It is most useful in asking and getting help.

Genes belongs to Find my past and is very much the poor relation. Records on here are fromFMP.

Stephen

Stephen Report 10 Jan 2024 22:49

Ancestry
Tribal Pages
Find My Past
My Heritage
GED Match
Geneanet
Family Search

I only place a GEDCOM on all of these. On Ancestry I also have my main tree but that is private as it contains all the documentation of the facts like birth certificates etc. Only people I know (and are usually on the actual tree as they are relatives) get access to it. Genes Reunited would have been number 8 but it's the only one that can't parse the tree made in Family Tree Maker. The rest could.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Jan 2024 09:25

I don’t know tribal pages but gednatch us a dab matching site so I hadn’t included that one in my count.

You say you have your main tree on Ancestry - your main tree reallly ought to be the one on FTM.

Stephen

Stephen Report 11 Jan 2024 14:23

Yes I work on FTM and that's where everything is kept but that's just software and nobody can see it. I upload my main tree to Ancestry but it is private as all the documents are on it and I was finding some of them used erroneously by "clickers". I keep a GEDCOM public but no one can see the people that are alive and no documents are with it.

You know Tribal Pages now. ??

Picked up some info from it in the past.