Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where was my BAD boy?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 3 Aug 2004 10:42

I did a 1901 census check and found that a 17 year old male relative was a "boy under detention". He was from Liverpool and is down on the census, being held at ST DAVIDS LATE CLARENCE, Mold, Flintshire, North Wales. I've done the usual Google searches without sucess. Can anyone offer any advice as to how I can find out what this naughty boy has been up to and where he did his "time"?

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Aug 2004 11:06

Try contacting the Flintshire Record Office FLINTSHIRE : The Old Rectory, Hawarden, Deeside, Flintshire. CH5 3NR (Tel : 01244 532364) I think that St Davids Late Clarence sounds rather odd. Could it be a mistranscription? Helen

Little Lost

Little Lost Report 3 Aug 2004 14:23

have you looked on www.lightage.demon.co.uk it has some blacksheep on there!!! I ordered what I thought was my ancestor J Freed but when they sent it it was J Freel. So beware. Good luck Gloria

Little Lost

Little Lost Report 3 Aug 2004 14:24

thats co uk after.

Paul

Paul Report 3 Aug 2004 15:41

Thank you both. I've tried the lightage site, thought I had a relative with a George Cross for a moment there but alas wrong tribe. Will try Flint Records. Thanks again. Paul

LindaMcD

LindaMcD Report 4 Aug 2004 17:25

Paul have e mailed you re St Davids Lane? Linda x

Paul

Paul Report 4 Aug 2004 17:41

LINDA have emailed what i have. many thanks Paul

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 4 Aug 2004 19:22

Hi Paul, according to Jeff Knagg's 1901 institutions site - the place you mention was a Reformatory School for Roman Catholic Boys. Kathy

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 4 Aug 2004 19:42

Paul, also there is a ship named the Clarence which was used as a training ship for Catholic Boys. It was moored off New Ferry. There are some excellent web sites regarding these ships and the life on board. good luck Kathy

LindaMcD

LindaMcD Report 5 Aug 2004 15:35

Paul just got back from the archives looks like Kathleen's info could be a lead. St Davids was a catholic college on the 1891 it was used for students of theology and philosophy they came mainly from France & Belgium. By the 1901 it had changed to a college for boys under detention. in the 1914-18 war it was used by the military as a hospital, then became a Jesuit college and was sold off in 1934. Parts of the main building are still there. The heading on the 1901 census does read St David's ( late Clarence) which fits in with Kathleens info on the ship so worth looking into! The staff at the archives were unaware of the Clarence link but agree a change of name seems likely. So catholic archives worth a look don't know how you get those though! The Albert dock has records of the naval training ships, just had my grandfathers he was on the Conway. Hope this is of some use. Linda x

Paul

Paul Report 5 Aug 2004 23:17

Thank you all for your efforts. Paul