Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Shone!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy59

Wendy59 Report 8 Feb 2012 22:44

Hi, my name is Wendy Shone, I was born in 1959, I used to live at The Duke Of Clarence pub in Holland Park Avenue, London with my family in the 1960s. My father Robert Henley Shone (born 1909 in Pontypridd), had 2 brothers who I think were called Tom and John. My mothers name is Maureen, and my younger sister is called Mandy.

I know I have cousins because I met them briefly, when I was small. If anyone knows where 'The Shones' are, I would be really grateful for any information.
Thank you x
:-D

patchem

patchem Report 8 Feb 2012 23:16

This is your Father's birth:
Births Dec 1909
SHONE Robert Henley Pontypridd 11a 755
have you lookd for his siblings here?:
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Added:
CAVE, Alice F Head Single F 40 1871 Private Means Hounslow Middx
PRICE, Maria P Visitor Single F 29 1882 Private Means Battersea S W
SHONE, Thomas William Caretaker Married M 23 1888 Police Constable Birmingham Warwick
SHONE, Winifred Wife Of Caretaker Married 3 years F 24 1887 Ferndale S Wales
SHONE, Robert Henley Son Of Caretaker M 1 (17 MONTHS) 1910

RG number: RG14 Piece: 6943 Reference: RG14PN6943 RG78PN344 RD128 SD5 ED16 SN105

Registration District: Brentford Sub District: Chiswick Enumeration District: 16 Parish: Chiswick

Address: 15 Grosvenor Road Chiswick W County: Middlesex

so this marriage for you to find further births using mother's maiden name;
Marriages Sep 1909
PARRY Winifred Pontypridd 11a 1083
SHONE Thomas William Pontypridd 11a 1083

Added:
2 siblings appear to be born in Brentford, and have middle initials to help you trace marriages and deaths.

patchem

patchem Report 8 Feb 2012 23:24

From ancestry:
?
Thomas William Shone
Birth Date: 16 Aug 1914
Date of Registration: Mar 1991
Age at Death: 76
Registration district: Chippenham
Inferred County: Wiltshire
Volume: 23
Page: 2104

?
John Leslie Shone
Birth Date: 20 Mar 1912
Date of Registration: Dec 1986
Age at Death: 74
Registration district: Reading and Wokingham
Inferred County: Berkshire
Volume: 19
Page: 437

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 9 Feb 2012 15:52

Hello Wendy and welcome to the Community boards.

It may also be helpful for you, when you have taken patchem's advice, to put the names you have into the Search Trees box above. This will show you if anyone on this site has them in their tree.

If you find a connection, you can contact the tree owners for further info. Cx.

patchem

patchem Report 9 Feb 2012 18:09

Pm received from Wendy thanking me for the information.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 8 Jan 2014 12:52

My father also called Robert Henley shone, born 1909 in pontypridd. Ran a pub in Shepherds Bush. Possible same one? but I am 78.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 8 Jan 2014 13:23

Well there's a turn-up for the books. Was Robert married twice?

Only one Robert Henley Shone was born before 1911, 1909 in Pontypridd.

Sylvia, Wendy won't get notice of a reply in her thread (as happens at many other websites) and her message is dated nearly two years ago.

but you can click on her name and send her a message privately

if she still has the same email address she will get a notice of your message and she would probably be very pleased to hear from you.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 8 Jan 2014 17:35

Looks as though it is the same then. I have sent a message to Wendy. I am new to genes re united and don't know how it works. Bearing in mind the message I originally saw is almost 2 years ago she may no longer be a member. What happens then?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 8 Jan 2014 17:39

If you don't hear back from Wendy, let us know right in this thread (which you can find any time by clicking on 'my threads' over on the left side) and there are many little gnomes here who will set to work to try to find her in real life for you :-)

and if you do hear from Wendy, let us know if you like because it is always good to hear an interesting happy ending !

oh and -- even if Wendy is no longer a paying member, she can reply to your message through the system if she gets the notice, but you may want to give her a regular email address when you write

Letting the paid subscription lapse means that a person can't initiate messages but they can reply to any messages they receive or have received in the past, I believe is how it works.

patchem

patchem Report 8 Jan 2014 20:35

Have sent a pm to Sylvia with some of the email received from Wendy as it is a really pleasant one.
Wendy was also new to genes.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 8 Jan 2014 21:45

that's lovely, the benefit of personal memory!

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 10 Jan 2014 02:49

TELEPHONE/ADDRESS CONTACT FOR WENDY SENT TO SYLVIA

Robert married in 1958

patchem

patchem Report 10 Jan 2014 19:30

Pm received from Sylvia saying that she is prepared to be patient and wait to see if email achieves results.

It could be a large shock for all.....

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 20 Apr 2014 20:41

I just wanted to let all those people who kindly gave me advice back in January when I started - Jooniecloonie, patchem, Fairthorn,, Cynthia, know that nothing has come of my replies to Wendy. Disappointing, as after I had got over the initial shock discovering I had two new half sisters, I got quite excited at the thought. Or course there was a time lapse of almost 2 years before I saw the link on google,
There are a couple of months left of my temporary membership of GR so we'll see.
Thanks for your help. Sylvia

jax

jax Report 20 Apr 2014 21:32

So have you written to the address or phoned the number Fairthorn sent?

If your private message still has an envelope by the side she has not read it so she may have changed her email address.

Even if your paying membership lapses you will still be able to receive messages and reply to them

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 Apr 2014 21:39

Wendy gave us her sister's name so it's easy to find her and her sister's births ... but after that not easy at all

she is Wendy EW
her sister is Mandy VP
her mum is Maureen B

and Wendy unfortunately married an extremely common surname from what I can tell

but Fairthorn found contact info? so, yes, have you used it Sylvia?

I can't see a marriage for Mandy or remarriage for Maureen ...

Wendy was eager to find cousins so we can imagine she would be at least as eager to find Sylvia

I'm not feeling particularly clever at the moment, maybe someone else can do better at finding Wendy or her sister or her mum in the present day if the info Fairthorn found didn't pan out ... maybe Fairthorn could just tell us the general area Wendy was found in?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 Apr 2014 21:55

ah, Wendy remarried?

um ... more than once?

http://www.192.com/atoz/people/ansell/wendy/

but the ER listing (no. 8 on the list) goes only to 2009 ... ?

many related people listed here

https://www.duedil.com/director/910024938/wendy-elizabeth-winifred-ansell

jax

jax Report 20 Apr 2014 21:58

Wendy married in 2005 and the address is in the west Midlands found on a company check in that married name also on the ER up until 2009 so may have moved since

Wendy also has three accounts on here

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 Apr 2014 22:09

given the various names associated with the person I traced above (including Henley) (edit - same one jax is referring to), and the most recent locations of events, I think this has to be her

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1627235898

included in the friends list at this user's profile:

https://www.facebook.com/cherelle.newson/friends

and also in the friends list at this user's profile:

https://www.facebook.com/mandy.shone.1/friends

so I think that's a definite :-)

also

https://twitter.com/GiffardQueen

so various ways to contact her

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 21 Apr 2014 01:40

ALL THIS DATA DAUGHTER'S FACEBOOK ETC ADDRESS TELEPHONE NUMBER MARRIAGE

WAS SENT TO SYLVIA IN JAN

IT SEEMS SYLVIA WANTS WENDY TO CONTACT HER :-S

.QUOTE 10 Jan 2014

Thank you for this informative message. I am still hoping that Wendy will contact me. SWN

.EDIT ; WENDY IS STILL AT THAT ADDRESS RE BT WEBSITE